December 18, 2018, 07:01:03 PM

Author Topic: NET evaluation but no School evaluation?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
Re: NET evaluation but no School evaluation?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
I'm wondering why there is no feedback or evaluation for NETs on the school?
So it seems that the school (Principal, VP, Co-Teacher, rest of the teachers, and students/parents) get to evaluate you?  But we don't get to evaluate the school back? 

The reason I am asking is because what if the school or certain teachers in the school are less than perfect and responsible for some of the "problems" that the NET appears to be taking 100% of the blame for?

Isn't there a channel or way for feedback to be given to the Education Board on the "misconducts" of someone at the school or the school itself?   Is the only way to report them through epeople website?

The problem is that the evaluation is one-sided.  If there was a conflict of "he said she said" then the evaluation will only reflect what the one side has to say and you don't get a chance to have a say.

You mean like the guy at the post office? 

Anyway... You are a guest, no more, no less.  It doesn't matter what your opinion of the school/teachers/students etc etc are.  You will never be a permanent fixture at the school, so your opinion has no bearing whatsoever.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your CoT's (school) aren't very fond of you.  I could be totally wrong but first you were complaining about the Postal system, and now you're looking for a way to 'report' your school.   Maybe you need to take a step back and think about all your gripes and realize that they aren't the problem. Just something to think about.
Wow. Just wow.

The evaluation is an excellent way of instilling a sense of accountability in NETs, and should be appreciated as such. But leaving our Korean counterparts completely unchecked will necessarily result in the kinds of abuse we're used to reading about on this forum time and time again (and which I, personally, have experienced). 2016 was the darkest year of my life, and I can say with absolute 100% certainty that the situation could've been avoided if I actually had a voice.

I agree.

And yes, if they report on you, then you need to report on them.  It's a very simple concept.  Don't scratch my back and I won't scratch yours.  I'm a very peaceful, easy-going, lenient human being.  Don't assume to encapsulate me or the entirety of my life based on two threads.   I agree with debbie mentioned above.  There are so many presumptuous and patronising people on these forums.  I just ignore those posts and focus on the meaningful and constructive replies :)

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
As many others have suggested on my thread, it would be a good thing for the Education system and schools to receive valuable feedback from NETs and foreigners/employees.   

Whether you are running a school, business, or any kind of organization, it is important to learn models of systems and structures that can best help your business to succeed.

The old model was this:  Boss at the top, use whatever force/power/intimidation/manipulation/bribery/punishment to get your workers below to do a good job and serve you and your goals.

The new model is this:  Treat your employees the same way you want your employees to treat your customers.  Why?
   Because healthy and happy employees = happy customers = healthy company.   It's like the hen and the eggs.
   Why abuse the hen or neglect it and then expect the hen to continue to provide you high quality grade A eggs?
   If your smart, you'd know that by taking good care of your hens, you'll be taking good care of yourself because
   the hens will produce good eggs.

So why doesn't that apply for schools/businesses?  If you treat or neglect your employees so that they are angry,
   frustrated, sick, disgruntled, incompetent, whatever and then expect your customers to be happy with your company, you are seriously misinformed.  All the modern companies for example like Google (etc) take this modern approach which is to take excellent care of their employees which is why Google has such productive and creative employees.  I think schools should also understand that if they take good care of their teachers, then it will allow them to provide the best quality experience for the students and in turn the parents will be happy with the school.  It's comes full circle.    I wish we could explain this more to our schools or to the GPOE/MOE.

Online SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »
I'm wondering why there is no feedback or evaluation for NETs on the school?
So it seems that the school (Principal, VP, Co-Teacher, rest of the teachers, and students/parents) get to evaluate you?  But we don't get to evaluate the school back? 

The reason I am asking is because what if the school or certain teachers in the school are less than perfect and responsible for some of the "problems" that the NET appears to be taking 100% of the blame for?

Isn't there a channel or way for feedback to be given to the Education Board on the "misconducts" of someone at the school or the school itself?   Is the only way to report them through epeople website?

The problem is that the evaluation is one-sided.  If there was a conflict of "he said she said" then the evaluation will only reflect what the one side has to say and you don't get a chance to have a say.

You mean like the guy at the post office? 

Anyway... You are a guest, no more, no less.  It doesn't matter what your opinion of the school/teachers/students etc etc are.  You will never be a permanent fixture at the school, so your opinion has no bearing whatsoever.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your CoT's (school) aren't very fond of you.  I could be totally wrong but first you were complaining about the Postal system, and now you're looking for a way to 'report' your school.   Maybe you need to take a step back and think about all your gripes and realize that they aren't the problem. Just something to think about.
Wow. Just wow.

The evaluation is an excellent way of instilling a sense of accountability in NETs, and should be appreciated as such. But leaving our Korean counterparts completely unchecked will necessarily result in the kinds of abuse we're used to reading about on this forum time and time again (and which I, personally, have experienced). 2016 was the darkest year of my life, and I can say with absolute 100% certainty that the situation could've been avoided if I actually had a voice.

I agree.

And yes, if they report on you, then you need to report on them.  It's a very simple concept.  Don't scratch my back and I won't scratch yours. I'm a very peaceful, easy-going, lenient human being.  Don't assume to encapsulate me or the entirety of my life based on two threads.   I agree with debbie mentioned above.  There are so many presumptuous and patronising people on these forums.  I just ignore those posts and focus on the meaningful and constructive replies :)

Yea, says the guy who is having a nervous break down over a postal employee because YOU refuse to follow the rules.   :rolleyes:
The threads you have started are negative and bemoaning.  What would you expect others to think?  That you're a ray of f**king sunshine? 

Of course you'll only focus on the "meaningful and constructive replies".  They are the ones that are agreeing with you.  Narcissistic a little? 

BTW Mr. "I've been working here for many years", patronizing is spelled with a "Z", not an "S". 

Good luck with your teacher Eval.  (and I sincerely mean that .. good luck)

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »

BTW Mr. "I've been working here for many years", patronizing is spelled with a "Z", not an "S". 

Awkward... Brits use 's'. You gotta knowwwwww.

EDIT: I'm American. But English is English. You gotta knowwwwww.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 05:41:59 PM »
As many others have suggested on my thread, it would be a good thing for the Education system and schools to receive valuable feedback from NETs and foreigners/employees.   

Whether you are running a school, business, or any kind of organization, it is important to learn models of systems and structures that can best help your business to succeed.

The old model was this:  Boss at the top, use whatever force/power/intimidation/manipulation/bribery/punishment to get your workers below to do a good job and serve you and your goals.

The new model is this:  Treat your employees the same way you want your employees to treat your customers.  Why?
   Because healthy and happy employees = happy customers = healthy company.   It's like the hen and the eggs.
   Why abuse the hen or neglect it and then expect the hen to continue to provide you high quality grade A eggs?
   If your smart, you'd know that by taking good care of your hens, you'll be taking good care of yourself because
   the hens will produce good eggs.

So why doesn't that apply for schools/businesses?  If you treat or neglect your employees so that they are angry,
   frustrated, sick, disgruntled, incompetent, whatever and then expect your customers to be happy with your company, you are seriously misinformed.  All the modern companies for example like Google (etc) take this modern approach which is to take excellent care of their employees which is why Google has such productive and creative employees.  I think schools should also understand that if they take good care of their teachers, then it will allow them to provide the best quality experience for the students and in turn the parents will be happy with the school.  It's comes full circle. I wish we could explain this more to our schools or to the GPOE/MOE.

I agree, a lot of Korean management use prehistoric methods that totally demotivate their foreign teachers.

Bosses always talk about the importance of "energetic fun teachers" yet they simultaneously do everything they can to bully, isolate and intimidate them.

Yeah its really motivating every morning to know that my boss is trying not to pay me, take shortcuts with the contract, yell at me to show their high status, favour the other teacher based on youth or looks, and overload me with more classes than is humanly possible.

This is why you get bright-eyed teachers arriving and burned out shadows-of-their-former-self leaving. because Korea employs outdated workplace practices and never listens to what foreigners have to say.
Catch my drift?

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
Agreed Cyanea.

When I first came to teach, at the orientation they told us to make English fun.   That was the most important thing.
I had done that but now it's completely the opposite.  They handcuff me from doing anything to make it fun and then they wonder why kids don't like english or why I am not a fun teacher.

I think it may have a lot to do with older versus younger korean teachers.  The older korean teachers that used to frequent my school were a lot more laid back, sure of themselves, and professional.  They never stepped over my toes and they seemed to enjoy seeing me do all kinds of fun and creative things with the kids to make it enjoyable for them.

But in the past couple years, our school has had nothing but a wave of young 20 year old korean teachers and while they are still "kind", they are a lot more insecure, and a lot more territorial and jealous...so much so that I could sense that is why they needed to ban everything I did and now I am left to being the most boring teacher as possible.   I basically sit in my room all day and rot away.  I'm not part of anything anymore.  So I've been trying to find ways to fill my time with keeping myself productive but it's hard.  There's only so much lesson planning you can do.  I don't have enough classes to merit me working on big projects and ideas since I have no students to use them on.   How this kind of system is not reported to the higher ups is beyond me.  They should get feedback from all teachers about how systems are working well and how they are not working well.

What is the point of hiring an english teacher, paying them 35K a year with benefits and housing, and never utilize them but only left to sit on their ass for 90% of the day with no interaction and involvement of any kind.  Then the teacher is suddenly supposed to switch on like a machine and be all happy and enthusiastic? 

It would be very beneficial for the Korean Board of Education and officials to actually see what we NETs do.  Some of us are used well (like I was in the past for many years).  And some of us are left basically under utilized and segregated or isolated from the rest of the school including the students for 90% of each day.

I suppose if I was a slacker, I could keep my mouth shut and just enjoy the free time I have and watch movies all day or play video games secretly, but as a teacher, I do not find this satisfying or self-rewarding use of my time at school.  When I'm at school, I want to teach, I want to work on activities, lessons, events, programs, and give what I have to give and be part of the school life.  That's just my opinion.  Maybe some of you like it the way it is, and just deskwarm all day and then go home and actually feel good about yourself for having done no work. 

If you don't have a passion for teaching and a passion for kids, then you are not in the right career.  I have a passion for both, but the problem is I'm barely being used to let that passion flourish and let students be the beneficiary recipients of it as well.  I feel it robs me and the students of "more" in life.

I literally could finish my entire week of classes in 1.5 days of the school week.  I wish I could just go home for the other 3.5 days then if they don't allow me to do anything.    That's right you heard me correctly...if you put all my classes together in a row, I literally only have 1.5 days of work.   I'm actually complaining about that haha.  I want more work/duties.  I work better and thrive better that way as a teacher.  That way the students can get the most out of me, and I can get the most out of myself, too.  It's like in sports, the coach demanding that you somehow score more goals but gives you only 5 minutes of playing time on the field.  It just doesn't make any sense.  If the coach doesn't demand of me anything, then sure, I can relax play 5 minutes and produce little.  But how does it makes sense that you are being demanded to score goals, be a superstar player but be given the least amount of playing time on the field/court/ice?   Frustrating.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:48:37 AM by teacher2004 »

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
Agreed Cyanea.

When I first came to teach, at the orientation they told us to make English fun.   That was the most important thing.
I had done that but now it's completely the opposite.  They handcuff me from doing anything to make it fun and then they wonder why kids don't like english or why I am not a fun teacher.

I think it may have a lot to do with older versus younger korean teachers.  The older korean teachers that used to frequent my school were a lot more laid back, sure of themselves, and professional.  They never stepped over my toes and they seemed to enjoy seeing me do all kinds of fun and creative things with the kids to make it enjoyable for them.

But in the past couple years, our school has had nothing but a wave of young 20 year old korean teachers and while they are still "kind", they are a lot more insecure, and a lot more territorial and jealous...so much so that I could sense that is why they needed to ban everything I did and now I am left to being the most boring teacher as possible.   I basically sit in my room all day and rot away.  I'm not part of anything anymore.  So I've been trying to find ways to fill my time with keeping myself productive but it's hard.  There's only so much lesson planning you can do.  I don't have enough classes to merit me working on big projects and ideas since I have no students to use them on.   How this kind of system is not reported to the higher ups is beyond me.  They should get feedback from all teachers about how systems are working well and how they are not working well.

What is the point of hiring an english teacher, paying them 35K a year with benefits and housing, and never utilize them but only left to sit on their ass for 90% of the day with no interaction and involvement of any kind.  Then the teacher is suddenly supposed to switch on like a machine and be all happy and enthusiastic? 

It would be very beneficial for the Korean Board of Education and officials to actually see what we NETs do.  Some of us are used well (like I was in the past for many years).  And some of us are left basically under utilized and segregated or isolated from the rest of the school including the students for 90% of each day.

I suppose if I was a slacker, I could keep my mouth shut and just enjoy the free time I have and watch movies all day or play video games secretly, but as a teacher, I do not find this satisfying or self-rewarding use of my time at school.  When I'm at school, I want to teach, I want to work on activities, lessons, events, programs, and give what I have to give and be part of the school life.  That's just my opinion.  Maybe some of you like it the way it is, and just deskwarm all day and then go home and actually feel good about yourself.

Haven't read everything yet. but based on the first part of your post, my experience has been different.
The younger Korean teachers, in their 20s - early 30s, have been wanting me to do the fun teacher stuff. My older teachers ban fun in my class. I have to do these lessons that are boring for myself and the students, but it is the way the school wants. :\
I try to use ridiculous examples to make things more fun via humor though.

And yeah, I feel really under utilized myself. 90% of my day is desk warming. I actually only have 10 teaching hours per week. I'm at the point, I have very little to keep me busy now. I've asked for more to do, but the school can't provide me more.
Small school, and they already have too much extra stuff for the students.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:40:59 AM by Kayos »

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »
Agreed Cyanea.

I suppose if I was a slacker, I could keep my mouth shut and just enjoy the free time I have and watch movies all day or play video games secretly, but as a teacher, I do not find this satisfying or self-rewarding use of my time at school.  When I'm at school, I want to teach, I want to work on activities, lessons, events, programs, and give what I have to give and be part of the school life.  That's just my opinion.  Maybe some of you like it the way it is, and just deskwarm all day and then go home and actually feel good about yourself.

Haven't read everything yet. but based on the first part of your post, my experience has been different.
The younger Korean teachers, in their 20s - early 30s, have been wanting me to do the fun teacher stuff. My older teachers ban fun in my class. I have to do these lessons that are boring for myself and the students, but it is the way the school wants. :\

And yeah, I feel really under utilized myself. 90% of my day is desk warming. I actually only have 10 teaching hours per week. I'm at the point, I have very little to keep me busy now. I've asked for more to do, but the school can't provide me more.

Wow, you and I are in the exact same position.  We need to talk!

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
What is the point of hiring an English teacher, paying them 35K a year with benefits and housing, and never utilize them but only left to sit on their ass for 90% of the day with no interaction and involvement of any kind.  Then the teacher is suddenly supposed to switch on like a machine and be all happy and enthusiastic? 

That's the point! It's all part of the plan to make NET's even more 'useless' and cost inefficient.

EPIK has 1-2 more years left, as it is now. The plan is then to hire 4-7 NET's per REGION (depending on population size and geographical size) and roll them out at things like school sports day, where the kids can have their picture taken with you and 'high five' you.

They'll also be used at things like choir events and PR shoots.

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
Agreed Cyanea.

Wow, you and I are in the exact same position.  We need to talk!

Feel free to message me whenever. :)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 11:50:52 PM »
The older korean teachers that used to frequent my school were a lot more laid back, sure of themselves, and professional.  They never stepped over my toes and they seemed to enjoy seeing me do all kinds of fun and creative things with the kids to make it enjoyable for them.

This is why it is such a pity that the whole industry is riven with ageism. Older teachers with superior experience and people skills are gotten rid of or never hired in the first place.

our school has had nothing but a wave of young 20 year old korean teachers and while they are still "kind", they are a lot more insecure, and a lot more territorial and jealous...

It can be a nightmare having to defend yourself and play power games with this type of juvenile. Yeah Koreans don't really chill out until about age 40-45. I would love to work with older people every day.

How this kind of system is not reported to the higher ups is beyond me.

Well.. I did GEPIK a few years back and once a year the FT's were asked to fill out a detailed questionaire about their time at the school- what could be improved, etc.

The only problem was, this questionaire was handed to you by your supervisor, who then "checked it" and read it after you returned it to her. Lol! She was the problem, but I was hardly going to criticize someone who had total power over just about everything I did at that school.

And that is one of the reasons I quit public schools and went back to hogwons. Because at public schools you are absolutely powerless, you're basically an exotic pet held captive to the interests of your two handlers. 

Basically the resident KT who you are assigned to makes you want to look ineffectual so as to make them look good. No-one will ever hear your opinion or know that your overseer sabotages your lessons and steals your materials. All the authorities will ever hear is tales on how the foreigner is lazy and a waste of resources etc.

And some of us are left basically under utilized and segregated or isolated from the rest of the school including the students for 90% of each day.

It can get a bit isolating, yes, although I found A/S jobs far worse for that: you only have one (1) co-worker to talk to for a year.

When I'm at school, I want to teach, I want to work on activities, lessons, events, programs, and give what I have to give and be part of the school life. 

Totally, yes.

Don't get me wrong hogwons can be stressful and people think you are a loser if you work for one, but at least I run my own classes and have fun. The time goes quicker.

Catch my drift?

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
Cyanea, thanks for the replies.  I agree with what you said and it sounds like we have been through similar situations.

You're right.  It's so weird that if I have a problem with my CT, that the CT is the very person I'm supposed to submit proposals, evaluations, feedback to before it gets to the VP, Principal and the rest of the staff, let alone the board of education or regional offices.   Anything I send his way will only end with him since he's the conduit/channel and the channel is the problem in the first place. 

I have referred to epeople before and the labor board but quickly found that it is very "offensive" to them (the school or vp or CT) once they find out I had opened a claim or report even if it was just an inquiry.  I was only asking questions but I guess they called the school to follow up and it seems to anger or even shame them (which is not what I wanted). 

You make good points about some of the differences of public schools and hagwons. I've never worked at a hagwon in Korea and probably prefer not to, but I agree that in public schools, it seems we almost have no power or say in anything and it's just all a matter of luck with you end up with (good teachers, good CT or difficult ones).  I guess the same could be said the other way too that the schools get lucky with good FTs or difficult ones.

I just worry and get upset about the possibility that I'd be judged as a "bad" teacher because I'm no longer happy, enthusiastic, playful or engaging when they are the ones that basically have told me not to be engaging and fun.  If I'm given every chance to be the best I can be, and then I'm still not good enough, I can live with that.  But if they only give you 5% leeway and throw down 95% restrictions on what I can and can't do, then they shouldn't be critical of me.  That's what really gets me.

Well, I'm trying to find ways to keep myself active and busy because I need to for the sake of my own sanity.  I have to try something new and different to see what works and what doesn't.  I wonder if they would reprimand me if I decided to start exercising outside in the school yard, maybe shoot some hoops etc.