December 13, 2018, 01:40:50 AM

Author Topic: NET evaluation but no School evaluation?  (Read 1989 times)

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
NET evaluation but no School evaluation?
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »
I'm wondering why there is no feedback or evaluation for NETs on the school?
So it seems that the school (Principal, VP, Co-Teacher, rest of the teachers, and students/parents) get to evaluate you?  But we don't get to evaluate the school back? 

The reason I am asking is because what if the school or certain teachers in the school are less than perfect and responsible for some of the "problems" that the NET appears to be taking 100% of the blame for?

Isn't there a channel or way for feedback to be given to the Education Board on the "misconducts" of someone at the school or the school itself?   Is the only way to report them through epeople website?

The problem is that the evaluation is one-sided.  If there was a conflict of "he said she said" then the evaluation will only reflect what the one side has to say and you don't get a chance to have a say.   

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: NET evaluation but no School evaluation?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 07:23:26 AM »
 The bottom line is we are disposable. Epik and the POE do not want to get entangled in a war of wills between a NET and a KET and a school that just wants another pretty face.  They will just hire the next young inexperienced under 40 years old person with a fresh new 100 hours online TESL certificate.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 07:26:25 AM »
So it seems that the school (Principal, VP, Co-Teacher, rest of the teachers, and students/parents) get to evaluate you?  But we don't get to evaluate the school back? 

The reason I am asking is because what if the school or certain teachers in the school are less than perfect and responsible for some of the "problems" that the NET appears to be taking 100% of the blame for?

Isn't there a channel or way for feedback to be given to the Education Board on the "misconducts" of someone at the school or the school itself?   Is the only way to report them through epeople website?

The problem is that the evaluation is one-sided.  If there was a conflict of "he said she said" then the evaluation will only reflect what the one side has to say and you don't get a chance to have a say.

You mean like the guy at the post office? 

Anyway... You are a guest, no more, no less.  It doesn't matter what your opinion of the school/teachers/students etc etc are.  You will never be a permanent fixture at the school, so your opinion has no bearing whatsoever.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your CoT's (school) aren't very fond of you.  I could be totally wrong but first you were complaining about the Postal system, and now you're looking for a way to 'report' your school.   Maybe you need to take a step back and think about all your gripes and realize that they aren't the problem. Just something to think about.   

Offline RobLPeters

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:48:54 AM »
so much salt
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »
You could always just open the English teacher folder on your CTs desk and have a look. If you get caught red handed just say you were looking for a copy of your contract or something.  :wink:
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:30 AM »
Anyway... You are a guest, no more, no less.  It doesn't matter what your opinion of the school/teachers/students etc etc are.  You will never be a permanent fixture at the school, so your opinion has no bearing whatsoever.

He's an employee. It's useful for any organisation to get official feedback from their employees.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »
In my first year here, the NETs had to evaluate their schools (that was in 2016 - 2017).
However, nothing ever happened with the NETs feedback.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:41:12 AM »
I think being able to evaluate your CTs or your school would be incredibly useful.  Just think of how many stories there are on here of NETs being completely hamstrung by their coteachers or their schools.

One of the most frustrating things for me is that if I do something wrong or I don't do something that is expected of me (whatever that is, I have to guess most of the time) then that can be recorded and held against me.  I might not be renewed.

But when my CTs are ten to fifteen minutes late to every class, or they're chatting on Kakao for the entire class, there's no comeback or consequences.  It literally doesn't matter to them because they're never going to have a boss who tells them "you can't be late to the class" or "you really shouldn't be using your phone during the class".

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »

He's an employee. It's useful for any organisation to get official feedback from their employees.

What country do you think this is?  And even if there were a way to give the school and teachers an Eval, do you really believe that they would take it seriously?  Prime (pun intended) example: Amazon. Unless you're upper management, the working conditions for the people on the floor is terrible.  There's been mass complaining and even news outlets covering it, and has it changed?  Nope! 

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »
OP.

There is an evaluation done by the NET, you need to ask for the 'KUNT' form (korean union native teacher) form.

You hand write the form and fax it to the MOE.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 11:52:39 AM »
OP.

There is an evaluation done by the NET, you need to ask for the 'KUNT' form (korean union native teacher) form.

This just made me laugh out loud!

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »

?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:01 PM »

?

Say it out loud while other people aren't around. :P
(it's a slightly mispelt vulgar English word ;P )

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 01:57:43 PM »
Say it out loud while other people aren't around. :P
(it's a slightly mispelt vulgar English word ;P )

Ahhh, get it!

Anyway it's no big deal here. Usually the head teacher, or VP has these documents, so ask them for it.

If you pronounce it with a heavy 'T' at the end they'll understand what you mean.

'kun-T'

Offline debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your CoT's (school) aren't very fond of you.  I could be totally wrong but first you were complaining about the Postal system, and now you're looking for a way to 'report' your school.   Maybe you need to take a step back and think about all your gripes and realize that they aren't the problem. Just something to think about.

No teachers are "permanent" fixtures in Korean public schools. They are forced to changed every four years...in fact this was only recently changed for NETs so some of the NETs have been at the school WAY longer than the KETs.

Also we are not guests we are tax payers and contract holders.

Sure it probably means squat in Korea....but we certainly aren't guests. Jesus, ever treat a guest the way your school treats you? hahaha. Nope.

Also yeah I agree with the post office thing (sorry, dude) but you have absolutely no idea what the circumstance is here. Stop being so presumptuous and patronising.

My students get to evaluate me (lol) I would friggin LOVE to evaluate them seriously. He's right it's definitely messed up that it doesn't go both ways.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »
No teachers are "permanent" fixtures in Korean public schools. They are forced to changed every four years...in fact this was only recently changed for NETs so some of the NETs have been at the school WAY longer than the KETs.

Do you mean, nowadays NETs also have to change public schools every 4 years (just like the Korean public school teachers have to do)?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:54:46 AM by Mezoti97 »

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »

Wow. Just wow.

The evaluation is an excellent way of instilling a sense of accountability in NETs, and should be appreciated as such. But leaving our Korean counterparts completely unchecked will necessarily result in the kinds of abuse we're used to reading about on this forum time and time again (and which I, personally, have experienced). 2016 was the darkest year of my life, and I can say with absolute 100% certainty that the situation could've been avoided if I actually had a voice.

Offline koreanlife

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »

Do you mean, nowadays NETs also have to change public schools every 4 years (just like the Korean public school teachers have to do)?

Good question.  Anyone have an answer to this?

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 08:58:10 AM »

Good question.  Anyone have an answer to this?

NETs don't have to change like Korean teachers do.
Although, in saying this, it might vary by region. In my region, NETs don't have to change.
At the end of each school year, the education office of my region talks about this, but it doesn't ever happen. At least, it hasn't so far. :p

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 10:28:20 AM »
OP.

Wow really? I have to look this up!  More NETs should know about this so please spread the word!  It's important that Korean teachers/schools also be held responsible and accountable for their jobs and roles.  All these excuses that some people are making about this being "Korea" and nothing ever happens, is false and just the attitudes of tired and beaten down NETs who have given up.

Korea is no different from any other country in the world.  Employers have rules to abide by, too.  Everyone is essentially an employee at the school anyways.  They need to be evaluated and corrected if they are not doing their jobs properly.   So I will be sure to fill out every possible evaluation and even contact the GPOE/MOE, Labor Boards, and every possible ministry and department if I have to, and I'll name names hehehehe.

Of course,  I love my school and have had a good relationship with them for many years, but I've witnessed and have lots of accounts and examples of things that probably weren't professional or according to policy but I never do or say anything about it because it was not in my interest to do so.  But now that I've had some issues with this new CT for the past couple years, it seems all that happens nowadays is 'attack' me, and that's why now I feel like if they are going to nitpick on me, I have to be prepared to hold them to same standards and accountability.  CT is not my employer. I am not owned by the CT.  CTs are supposed to work together with NETs, communicate, resolve issues, support each other, etc.  Instead it seems like this particular CT likes to be drill sergeant and tattle tales on me to all the other teachers in our school + the VP and Principal and turns molehills into mountains.