January 24, 2019, 02:25:19 AM

Author Topic: US Politics Megathread  (Read 4390 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: US Politics Megathread
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »
This.  You can't respond sensibly to what anyone says, so you trot this out.
I think my reply was pretty sensible. I gave a case as to why it wasn't Russia that was the reason Clinton lost. YOU are the one that can't reply sensibly. That's why this is all you have. You aren't responding with data or events, you're responding with an attack on me.

Whether Russia impacted the outcome or not, they interefered in the election. 
Yes they did. Did that interference impact the result? No. The writing was on the wall for this election well back during the Michigan Primary and even before then. In fact, the writing was on the wall before Donald Trump even announced his candidacy. This was happening, with or without Russia.

You could see its gestation in 3 Super Bowl commercials by Chrysler. All three generated a tremendous response in the Heartland and in the Rust Belt. If you aren't from there, maybe you won't get it. But everyone from there "got it". There was a tremendous emotional response to them on social media and in living rooms. I mean, they REALLY went to the core of Midwestern/rural values, lifestyle, angst, and so on. You look at these commercials and what do you see? You see MAGA. You see the core of it. The grievance and frustration and determination and this may shock you, the solemn dignity that led people to the movement.

2011 Imported From Detroit Super Bowl Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL254Y_jtc
2012 Halftime in America Super Bowl Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIVjCghMo2E
2013 So God Made a Farmer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMpZ0TGjbWE

Look at the 2012 Halftime Script

All that matters now is what's ahead. How do we come from behind? How do we come together? And, how do we win? Detroit's showing us it can be done. And, what's true about them is true about all of us. This country can't be knocked out with one punch. We get right back up again and when we do the world is going to hear the roar of our engines. Yeah, it's halftime America. And, our second half is about to begin.

And again, recall Michael Moore's Trump speech. This is how he began it. What's most notable is that Moore is not laughing or ridiculing or belittling Trump when he talks about this.He clearly understands its significance.
Donald Trump came to the Detroit Economic Club, and stood there in front of the Ford Motor executives, and said, If you close these factories as youre planning to do in Detroit and build them in Mexico, Im going to put a 35 percent tariff on those cars when you send them back, and nobody is going to buy them. It was an amazing thing to see. No politician, Republican or Democrat, had ever said anything like that to these executives. And it was music to the ears of people in Michigan and Ohio and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. The Brexit states.

This phenomenon had been building. Heck, we saw the first traces of it back with Perot in 1992.

Russia had jack shit to do with it and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

If Trump and/or his campaign staff communicated with those involved, it was illegal.  See?  Get it yet?  Got a clue?
No, it's not illegal. It's only illegal if that communication involved illegal activity. Simply talking to someone who works for the GRU is not a crime.

It is NOT illegal for them to communicate with someone from Russia if that person claims they have evidence of a crime.

And certainly, with the president refusing to condemn it, China, Iran and other bad actors feel emboldened to chime in on illegal tampering.
Welcome to the 21st century and this thing called 'The World Wide Web'. It's name means and implies what it says. It's worldwide and we're all interconnected. Everyone is going to influence everyone else's politics. People in Scotland or the U.S. or Taiwan will retweet and promote stories about Catalan Independence. People across the world are going to tweet and facebook share about Nationalist candidates like Bolsanaro. Some of those people might be linked to companies or governments. The thing is that it works both ways. Even North Korea can't keep out KPop and US movies on DVD. You can go after bots and try and regulate the ads, but at the end of the day, there's only so much you can do.

Trying to stop another country from impacting another country's elections on social media is like trying to stop illegal mp3 downloads/sharing.

As far as election hacking, don't fall for phishing schemes. Have some security. Also, we really shouldn't have hacking determinations being done by a paid 3rd party that was formerly contracted by the DNC. That is NOT an independent assessment.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
So nearly a year after the historic Republican tax cuts, the stock market is lower, a growth slowdown seems to be underway and investors are worried about soaring levels of federal debt. This party barely got started before it was over.

Who woulda thunk it?

That's Obama's fault, right? Or are we still going by the rule that any good economic news is because of Obama and any bad news is because of Trump?

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
I think my reply was pretty sensible. I gave a case as to why it wasn't Russia that was the reason Clinton lost. YOU are the one that can't reply sensibly. That's why this is all you have. You aren't responding with data or events, you're responding with an attack on me.

Show me where I said Russia was the reason Clinton lost.  Show me.  You can't because I didn't.

But still you respond to every discussion in the topic with the same thing. 

I'm not attacking you, just pointing out you are horrible at this.  It's really about time you stopped, took a vacation, got some other hobby, ate more fibre ...

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »
Lock her up, lock her up?  #ivanka
Lock her up. Lock her up!

Did Ivanka use her email to transfer classified material? Did she try to have her private server erased? Did she take a hammer to her cell phone? Did she delete her messages AFTER getting a subpoena?

Look, EMAILS!!!!!! was so overblown, but you can also acknowledge that Hillary got away with a slap on the wrist because of her status whereas JoeBlow in the State Dept. who did that would have gotten fired at a minimum, possibly fined or even a light jail sentence. And you know what? I'm fine with that. Let's be real and acknowledge the real differences between being a former First Lady Sec State, and some office schlep.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »
Show me where I said Russia was the reason Clinton lost.  Show me.  You can't because I didn't.

I'm not attacking you, just pointing out you are horrible at this.  It's really about time you stopped, took a vacation, got some other hobby, ate more fibre ...
I'm not the one with Trump Derangement Syndrome and spouting Russian Truther conspiracies.

Mueller has found nothing when it comes to Russian collusion. NOTHING.

Like, did it ever occur to you that Trump DIDN'T collude? That Russia and the Trump campaign acted independently?

But go ahead, believe in Russian conspiracies. Go dress in a vagina costume and scream at the sky and imagine that you're in the Handmaid's Tale like the other batty people who think Trump has turned America into 1933 Germany.

Look, I'll admit that Trump has a bunch of inforwars clowns and uneducated simplistic MURICA types on his side who think George Soros is about to leap out of a closet and get them. I've mentioned that stuff repeatedly. The fact is that some of the stuff people go after Trump for, they don't even bother to check how plausible it is, they just see that it's against Trump so they accept it.

A lot of it comes down to this-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:28:40 PM by kyndo »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »

Did Ivanka use her email to transfer classified material? Did she try to have her private server erased? Did she take a hammer to her cell phone? Did she delete her messages AFTER getting a subpoena?

Look, EMAILS!!!!!! was so overblown, but you can also acknowledge that Hillary got away with a slap on the wrist because of her status whereas JoeBlow in the State Dept. who did that would have gotten fired at a minimum, possibly fined or even a light jail sentence. And you know what? I'm fine with that. Let's be real and acknowledge the real differences between being a former First Lady Sec State, and some office schlep.

Where ever was it stated that Hillary was guilty of a crime?

Oh and an "Office schlep" using her family's name to expand her business on the government's dime.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2018, 03:47:49 PM »

Where ever was it stated that Hillary was guilty of a crime?

Oh and an "Office schlep" using her family's name to expand her business on the government's dime.

From what I understand there was a form of prosecutorial discretion in her not being reprimanded or charged. Basically her actions were "grossly negligent" but Comey changed that because it meant true criminal liability and she was just wreckless.

And I agree with that. One can get overly technical and letter-of-the-law  but not the spirit in prosecution decisions. She's also a former First Lady and you do have some defereence for that. No real damage was done. At the same time if you or I had done that as government workers we would have been fired and possibly fined or jailed.

Hillary isn't guilty and the Republicans were making a mountain out of a mole hill, but Clinton wasn't totally clean either and a double standard was used. Only blind partisans think she was totally guilty or innocent.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2018, 05:14:30 PM »
Go dress in a vagina costume and scream at the sky and imagine that you're in the Handmaid's Tale like the other batshit crazy people who think Trump has turned America into 1933 Germany.
Someone needs to back off.
Dude relax. I used the same kind of phrasing to immediately describe Trump supporters. Maybe it would help to not view things in such black and white terms and acknowledge the crazies on your own side.

Trump supporters get called and told a lot worse. No one is going to blindside you for wearing a pink hat. They will if you wear a MAGA cap. The left really needs to calm down.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:27:18 PM by kyndo »

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2018, 12:02:57 AM »

I'm not the one with Trump Derangement Syndrome and spouting Russian Truther conspiracies.

Mueller has found nothing when it comes to Russian collusion. NOTHING.

Like, did it ever occur to you that Trump DIDN'T collude? That Russia and the Trump campaign acted independently?

But go ahead, believe in Russian conspiracies. Go dress in a vagina costume and scream at the sky and imagine that you're in the Handmaid's Tale like the other batty people who think Trump has turned America into 1933 Germany.

Look, I'll admit that Trump has a bunch of inforwars clowns and uneducated simplistic MURICA types on his side who think George Soros is about to leap out of a closet and get them. I've mentioned that stuff repeatedly. The fact is that some of the stuff people go after Trump for, they don't even bother to check how plausible it is, they just see that it's against Trump so they accept it.

A lot of it comes down to this-

Tell that to those in jail and those indicted.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 07:29:26 PM by kyndo »

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2018, 12:07:32 AM »
Feeding trump trolls is wasted effort. They're cultists who are already working on escape plans in case donny boy or his son end up behind bars.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Offline Adel

• Expert Waygook
  • Pants down
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »
Go dress in a vagina costume and scream at the sky and imagine that you're in the Handmaid's Tale like the other batshit crazy people who think Trump has turned America into 1933 Germany.

Trump supporters get called and told a lot worse. No one is going to blindside you for wearing a pink hat. They will if you wear a MAGA cap. The left really needs to calm down.

liberal-bullies

https://thedailybanter.com/2017/02/liberal-bullies/

Why can't they just let them indulge white nationalism without condemning them?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:16:21 AM by Adel »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »

Nobody responds to him seriously because he's turned into such a joke, so with nothing better to do in his small life he concocts massive strawmen to argue against. Don't take the bait guys.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline shanebarry1986

• Super Waygook
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

:P :P :P :P :P
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
8) 8)
;D

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2018, 09:30:13 AM »
I don't think someone is being a snowflake if they're worried about someone bricking them in the head from behind for wearing a hat.

Also, no one is indulging white nationalism. That's the problem when you believe your own self-propagating fallacies about how the other side is pure evil.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:35:47 AM by kyndo »

Offline Adel

• Expert Waygook
  • Pants down
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »

:P :P :P :P :P
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
8) 8)
;D

My that was a witty retort, wasn't it? Your Mom would be so proud!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:40:12 PM by Adel »

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2018, 06:49:25 AM »
So nearly a year after the historic Republican tax cuts, the stock market is lower, a growth slowdown seems to be underway and investors are worried about soaring levels of federal debt. This party barely got started before it was over.

Who woulda thunk it?

That's Obama's fault, right? Or are we still going by the rule that any good economic news is because of Obama and any bad news is because of Trump?
You're always trying to impose rules here. Par for the course for a sycophant who dreams of being a martinet.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2018, 06:50:25 AM »
I don't think someone is being a snowflake if they're worried about someone bricking them in the head from behind for wearing a hat.

Also, no one is indulging white nationalism
. That's the problem when you believe your own self-propagating fallacies about how the other side is pure evil.
You got that hat pulled too far down to see.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2018, 07:27:28 AM »
Dude relax. I used the same kind of phrasing to immediately describe Trump supporters. Maybe it would help to not view things in such black and white terms and acknowledge the crazies on your own side.

Tell that to Heather Heyer, members of the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church and those of Tree of Life synagogue.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2018, 07:39:21 AM »

Tell that to Heather Heyer, members of the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church and those of Tree of Life synagogue.

Neither Roof nor the Tree of Life shooter were Trump supporters. Bernie Sanders is not responsible for the nut who shot Steve Scalise. Your point is nonsensical.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2018, 07:42:51 AM »
Tell that to those in jail and those indicted.
And which of them have been charged with collusion?