March 25, 2019, 06:08:31 AM

Author Topic: US Politics Megathread  (Read 8451 times)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: US Politics Megathread
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »
So about 65 million votes for Clinton
63 million for Trump

More accurate to say 66 mil and 63 mil if rounding. Clinton won by almost a full three million.

Clinton: 65,853,514
Trump: 62,984,828

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
White women with college degrees : 51% for Clinton vs 44% for Tump
White women without college degrees : 34% for Clinton vs 61% for Trump

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
63 million for Trump

More accurate to say 66 mil and 63 mil if rounding. Clinton won by almost a full three million.

Here's the thing. Clinton lost, kind of. Trump won, I guess. But 95 million people couldn't be arsed to cast a vote.
That race isn't an indication of political party designation by sex or race, because both candidates were absolutely terrible.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 02:31:59 PM »
both candidates were absolutely terrible

The consensus among experts, the well read, and the highly educated was that Clinton was the vastly superior option.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »
both candidates were absolutely terrible

The consensus among experts, the well read, and the highly educated was that Clinton was the vastly superior option.

The consensus amongst the 'Whiz Kids' was that we needed to go into Vietnam.

Your point?

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
63 million for Trump

Here's the thing. Clinton lost, kind of. Trump won, I guess. But 95 million people couldn't be arsed to cast a vote.
That race isn't an indication of political party designation by sex or race, because both candidates were absolutely terrible.

You're my new best friend!  Honest to God, I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »

Was it? George McGovern got a PhD in history from Northwestern. In 1963 he spoke out against that on the senate floor. In 1972 he was the Democratic nominee for president.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 08:48:04 PM »
Honest to God, I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

No. It's quite common for people to think "Bah, both terrible." (False equivalence.)

But experts- people who know what they're talking about- considered Clinton far superior for the country and the world.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 10:48:58 PM »
Fighting the last war is a sure way to lose the current one.

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »
Smash Racism DC, the group that organized a mob outside of Fox News host Tucker Carlson’s home last week, broke Twitter policy to create a new account after they were suspended by the social media platform.

Twitter suspended Smash Racism DC, which was previously operating under the handle “@SmashRacismDC” after they posted tweets containing Carlson’s address and video of a mob screaming threats outside of Carlson’s home. The account was later suspended again for ban evasion.

Carlson, also a Daily Caller co-founder, said his wife was home alone at the time and thought she was the victim of a home invasion.

Fox News’s account, which has 18.2 million followers, has not tweeted in six days to protest Twitter’s handling of Smash Racism DC’s initial suspension. Fox reportedly complained to Twitter about the account, but instead of immediately removing the inappropriate content, Twitter insisted Fox open a support ticket.
https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/14/smash-racism-dc-back-twitter-tucker-carlson/

Get a life.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »
Considering that Trump has broken at least half of the 10 Commandments, it's laughable that he still gets support from Evangelicals who are a one issue (abortion) voting block.
Are the Democrats offering a plausible alternative?

All the Democrats seem to be offering is an alternative religion of Fundamentalist Social Justice. The days of Jimmy Carter or William Jennings Bryan are long gone.

Christianity is a lot more than just abortion restrictions.
Not for a lot of the Christian right. Christian radio is day and night anti-abortion sob stories.

But they are against other things, like equal rights for women. The question is what are they for.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »
Considering that Trump has broken at least half of the 10 Commandments, it's laughable that he still gets support from Evangelicals who are a one issue (abortion) voting block.
Are the Democrats offering a plausible alternative?

All the Democrats seem to be offering is an alternative religion of Fundamentalist Social Justice. The days of Jimmy Carter or William Jennings Bryan are long gone.
And soon so will the days of trump.

The Dems are offering quite a lot, much of it proffered here by myself and others, but ignored by the risible right who's rather deal in conspiracy theories and the like.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »

Was it? George McGovern got a PhD in history from Northwestern. In 1963 he spoke out against that on the senate floor. In 1972 he was the Democratic nominee for president.

Do you even know who the Whiz Kids are?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »

The Dems are offering quite a lot, much of it proffered here by myself and others, but ignored by the risible right who's rather deal in conspiracy theories and the like.
gogators! May I suggest that you might not be the stellar ambassador of the Democratic Party and liberalism that you think you are.

As I have said, you are rather Trumpian in your tone and simplicity of thinking and expression. You also have a rather childlike black and white view of the world that you express in very harsh terms.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »

gogators! May I suggest that you might not be the stellar ambassador of the Democratic Party and liberalism that you think you are.

As I have said, you are rather Trumpian in your tone and simplicity of thinking and expression. You also have a rather childlike black and white view of the world that you express in very harsh terms.

You are the last person on this forum to be offering tips on posting style and substance.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
Honest to God, I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

No. It's quite common for people to think "Bah, both terrible." (False equivalence.)

But experts- people who know what they're talking about- considered Clinton far superior for the country and the world.

says whom?  The New York Times?   :rolleyes:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 12:44:35 PM »
You are the last person on this forum to be offering tips on posting style and substance.
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=115679.msg775826#msg775826

I enjoy OP's blog and agree with some of his stances politically.

However, I do think one rule we should have for political threads (besides frequency) is that the title of them should not have a "slant". In other words it should simply state an event or person in 'neutral' terms. It might also be good to "ration" posters on political threads. Or perhaps the mods could start their own thread for big stories (perhaps with requests) and lock all others except an ongoing "Megathread" or two.

While freedom of expression and open content is good, there are practicalities when it comes to an ESL in Korea website that has expenses to consider.

Yeah, that seems a good idea, and I would probably go ahead and do that if I were actually trusted with keys to the car.
   And just to be clear, I don't care about his politics one way or the other, but I do care that articles are just being dumped without any kind of discussion topic being offered. That's just...

You stand corrected. 8)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 12:47:36 PM »
Would this be the same Clinton who was urging Obama to go into Syria with US troops and to shoot down Russian aircraft?

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=115679.msg775826#msg775826

I enjoy OP's blog and agree with some of his stances politically.

However, I do think one rule we should have for political threads (besides frequency) is that the title of them should not have a "slant". In other words it should simply state an event or person in 'neutral' terms. It might also be good to "ration" posters on political threads. Or perhaps the mods could start their own thread for big stories (perhaps with requests) and lock all others except an ongoing "Megathread" or two.

While freedom of expression and open content is good, there are practicalities when it comes to an ESL in Korea website that has expenses to consider.

Yeah, that seems a good idea, and I would probably go ahead and do that if I were actually trusted with keys to the car.
   And just to be clear, I don't care about his politics one way or the other, but I do care that articles are just being dumped without any kind of discussion topic being offered. That's just...

You stand corrected. 8)

You just offered an opinion about consolidating similar themed political topics. Nothing to do with what I implied or what you insinuated that I quoted.