March 27, 2019, 09:07:19 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Fake News (North Korea)  (Read 696 times)

Offline kengreen

• Expert Waygook
Fake News (North Korea)
« on: November 14, 2018, 05:55:10 AM »
The president claims that the New York Times is full of crap. And I believe him.

God bless you, Mr. President. You're doing a fantastic job.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/11/13/donald-trump-nyt-story-on-north-korea-missile-bases-more-fake-news/

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
Re: Fake News (North Korea)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:20:07 AM »
Reminder that Breitbart is literally white nationalist propaganda
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 07:18:36 AM »

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:55 AM »
The Sucker thread is over there.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
The president claims that the New York Times is full of crap. And I believe him.

God bless you, Mr. President. You're doing a fantastic job.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/11/13/donald-trump-nyt-story-on-north-korea-missile-bases-more-fake-news/
LOL.

The Flat Earth International Conference is Nov. 15. They believe, too.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »

No they aren't. That is your hallucination.

Online shanebarry1986

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »

MayorHaggar is literally a white supremacist. I have no evidence for this, but none is needed, right?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 01:20:11 PM »

MayorHaggar is literally a white supremacist. I have no evidence for this, but none is needed, right?

You are contending the point that Breitbart isn't run on the theme of white nationalism?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »
You are contending the point that Breitbart isn't run on the theme of white nationalism?
Nationalism, yes. White nationalism, no.

There is plenty of love for people of color who uphold "traditional" American values. You'll see a story about some black NFL player who chooses to stand or memorializes cops or fallen soldiers and they'll get a positive writeup and comments.

This is one thing the left seriously doesn't understand and misinterprets about Trumpism/Breitbart style. For the most part, the supporters do not embrace racism and white supremacy, at least overtly (though I would agree that A LOT of latent prejudice does exist as well as some outright prejudice), but really the idea of loving America. Conservatives/Trump supporting POC get tons of love. They are eagerly embraced. And this isn't tokenism or Uncle Tom, shoeshine embracing, but genuine admiration and appreciation.

Case in point, Michigan Senate candidate John James, a Republican. He was an Iraq War veteran, Ranger-certified helicopter pilot. Flew combat missions. Ran a successful small business. He had a tremendous amount of support because his story exemplified the 'MAGA ideal'. A sure sign of prejudice is "How would you feel if your daughter/sister married him?" and I think if you took a survey (with lie detector) you'd get a 95-5 ratio of Trumpers and Breitbarters who would embrace and welcome James into their family, certainly over some random white guy off the street.

So the answer is, it's complicated when it comes to the Breitbart crowd. There are some ugly comments and embracing of stereotypes (and some outright racists), particularly of Muslims and illegal immigrants, but there also seems to be an odd sort of colorblindness- If you're on Team MAGA, no one cares about your color and no one expects you to dance and play a role. In fact, the feeling is that it is the Left that is dividing people along race and gender (not saying that's true).

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »
A sure sign of prejudice is "How would you feel if your daughter/sister married him?" and I think if you took a survey (with lie detector) you'd get a 95-5 ratio of Trumpers and Breitbarters who would embrace and welcome James into their family, certainly over some random white guy off the street.

I think this is wayyyyyyyyy off the mark. Fortunately for you, we don't have the data. :wink:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »
I think this is wayyyyyyyyy off the mark. Fortunately for you, we don't have the data. :wink:
Your prejudice and bias against Trump supporters has been noted.

Seriously though, the number is unprovable, but as someone who visits both TheDonald and Breitbart (as well as Slate, Salon, the NYTimes, The Atlantic, The Nation), and does so regularly and as a participant, I don't think the common perception on the left is accurate.

A similar example- People generally think NASCAR supporters are racist rednecks. One of my former coworkers back home was a black guy who was a huge NASCAR fan, he also grew up country. He would go to any race he could. One time he took our boss' son (who was Korean) to a race at MIS. Now, if you know anything about NASCAR, you know that races are a huge event and basically one big party that starts days before the race. My boss' son was worried about getting attacked by racists or that people would laugh at them. What happened? He had the time of his life. Everyone was warm, friendly, welcoming, inviting. Why? Because everyone there has the same thing in mind- the race and having a good time.

It's the same thing with Trump supporters.

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
Your prejudice and bias against Trump supporters has been noted.

Seriously though, the number is unprovable, but as someone who visits both TheDonald and Breitbart (as well as Slate, Salon, the NYTimes, The Atlantic, The Nation), and does so regularly and as a participant, I don't think the common perception on the left is accurate.

A similar example- People generally think NASCAR supporters are racist rednecks. One of my former coworkers back home was a black guy who was a huge NASCAR fan, he also grew up country. He would go to any race he could. One time he took our boss' son (who was Korean) to a race at MIS. Now, if you know anything about NASCAR, you know that races are a huge event and basically one big party that starts days before the race. My boss' son was worried about getting attacked by racists or that people would laugh at them. What happened? He had the time of his life. Everyone was warm, friendly, welcoming, inviting. Why? Because everyone there has the same thing in mind- the race and having a good time.

It's the same thing with Trump supporters.

Yeah... but I know a few cool NASCAR fans. By contrast, I've interacted with quite a few Trump fans who I suspect would fail that test (and a few who I know would absolutely fail that test). Of course, we don't have the number, so I can only go off of the people I've personally met.

Regardless, adding that guesstimate of a statistic did nothing but show us what you think about Trump fans. I only stated my opinion that I think your number is off. Am I biased against Trump fans? Sure. As you like to say, we all have biases. I'm aware of mine and it's not like I pulled them out of thin air.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
Yeah... but I know a few cool NASCAR fans. By contrast, I've interacted with quite a few Trump fans who I suspect would fail that test (and a few who I know would absolutely fail that test). Of course, we don't have the number, so I can only go off of the people I've personally met.

Regardless, adding that guesstimate of a statistic did nothing but show us what you think about Trump fans. I only stated my opinion that I think your number is off. Am I biased against Trump fans? Sure. As you like to say, we all have biases. I'm aware of mine and it's not like I pulled them out of thin air.

I'd say that's a pretty fair reply. I mean, I do it too- Overstating SJW crazies with say, mainline Democrats who embrace free speech and rigorous debate.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »
   OP: several people have mentioned that you've posted numerous political articles with no relevant critique, discussion, or pretty much anything of additional interest.

I agree that this could be construed as spam.
   Feel free to post articles, but please offer us some discussion points or else your thread will get zapped.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 02:49:37 PM »
   OP: several people have mentioned that you've posted numerous political articles with no relevant critique, discussion, or pretty much anything of additional interest.

I agree that this could be construed as spam.
   Feel free to post articles, but please offer us some discussion points or else your thread will get zapped.
I enjoy OP's blog and agree with some of his stances politically.

However, I do think one rule we should have for political threads (besides frequency) is that the title of them should not have a "slant". In other words it should simply state an event or person in 'neutral' terms. It might also be good to "ration" posters on political threads. Or perhaps the mods could start their own thread for big stories (perhaps with requests) and lock all others except an ongoing "Megathread" or two.

While freedom of expression and open content is good, there are practicalities when it comes to an ESL in Korea website that has expenses to consider.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 02:59:32 PM »

However, I do think one rule we should have for political threads (besides frequency) is that the title of them should not have a "slant". In other words it should simply state an event or person in 'neutral' terms. It might also be good to "ration" posters on political threads. Or perhaps the mods could start their own thread for big stories (perhaps with requests) and lock all others except an ongoing "Megathread" or two.

While freedom of expression and open content is good, there are practicalities when it comes to an ESL in Korea website that has expenses to consider.

Yeah, that seems a good idea, and I would probably go ahead and do that if I were actually trusted with keys to the car.
   And just to be clear, I don't care about his politics one way or the other, but I do care that articles are just being dumped without any kind of discussion topic being offered. That's just...

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »

Yeah, that seems a good idea, and I would probably go ahead and do that if I were actually trusted with keys to the car.
   And just to be clear, I don't care about his politics one way or the other, but I do care that articles are just being dumped without any kind of discussion topic being offered. That's just...

Um, I tried to make the point earlier that a thread for this discussion already exists.  Why not post it over there, or at least a mod join the two?

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 05:56:11 PM »

No they aren't. That is your hallucination.

Really? This is the hill you want to die on?

Just in case anyone here had any doubt about the fact that Steelrails is a sad child who proudly associates with vile bullshit:

But as someone who visits both TheDonald and Breitbart (as well as Slate, Salon, the NYTimes, The Atlantic, The Nation), and does so regularly and as a participant

Etc.

And LOL at you proudly admitting you are a The_Donald troll.

The_Donald has become notorious for its incitements to violence, its blatant white supremacist rhetoric, and its use as a lure for the alt-right into more explicit forms of right-wing extremism. Trump’s notorious anti-CNN tweet, which seemed to advocate violence against journalists and arguably violated Twitter’s own content policy, originated from a post on The_Donald. Prior to the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, The_Donald hosted a stickied post encouraging members to attend the rally and march alongside neo-Nazi and “ethnostate” groups, because, “In this case, the pursuit of preserving without shame white culture, our goals happen to align.”

Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:32 AM »
Nationalism, yes. White nationalism, no.

There is plenty of love for people of color who uphold "traditional" American values. You'll see a story about some black NFL player who chooses to stand or memorializes cops or fallen soldiers and they'll get a positive writeup and comments.

This is one thing the left seriously doesn't understand and misinterprets about Trumpism/Breitbart style. For the most part, the supporters do not embrace racism and white supremacy, at least overtly (though I would agree that A LOT of latent prejudice does exist as well as some outright prejudice), but really the idea of loving America. Conservatives/Trump supporting POC get tons of love. They are eagerly embraced. And this isn't tokenism or Uncle Tom, shoeshine embracing, but genuine admiration and appreciation.

Case in point, Michigan Senate candidate John James, a Republican. He was an Iraq War veteran, Ranger-certified helicopter pilot. Flew combat missions. Ran a successful small business. He had a tremendous amount of support because his story exemplified the 'MAGA ideal'. A sure sign of prejudice is "How would you feel if your daughter/sister married him?" and I think if you took a survey (with lie detector) you'd get a 95-5 ratio of Trumpers and Breitbarters who would embrace and welcome James into their family, certainly over some random white guy off the street.

So the answer is, it's complicated when it comes to the Breitbart crowd. There are some ugly comments and embracing of stereotypes (and some outright racists), particularly of Muslims and illegal immigrants, but there also seems to be an odd sort of colorblindness- If you're on Team MAGA, no one cares about your color and no one expects you to dance and play a role. In fact, the feeling is that it is the Left that is dividing people along race and gender (not saying that's true).
Wanna bet?

Team MAGA? The captain can't take the heat or stand the rain.

How about gender? Your team captain sure has a problem there. Color? Look at that cabinet. Any people of color working for Trump Org.?

You got some splaining to do, Lucy.