December 13, 2018, 12:29:00 AM

Author Topic: EPIK teachers only sick on Mondays and Fridays  (Read 2534 times)

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: EPIK teachers only sick on Mondays and Fridays
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »
With EPIK it is 5 days leave for your parents death, 2 days for grandparents, 1 day for a sibling and 1 day for your child (!).

wot

I think that the logic is that loosing a child would make you useless for the remainder of the contract, so they force you to quit.
Every parent's worst nightmare... your kid dying before you.

Some believe it's punishment from a past life, and a major loss of face.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »

Some believe it's punishment from a past life, and a major loss of face.
and if anyone actually believes that, they are absolute fcuking morons

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
Ahhhh yes the "Sorry I had a cold" Mondays (hangover) and the "I've been throwing up all last night so can't come in" Fridays for a 3 day weekend OR hungover from going out on a Thursday.  Not saying that's you OP, but our co-teachers are pretty wise to the games we play.  I was even ask by last co-teacher, when we first met and I told her I was from Texas she said "Oh no do you know David from Dallas (UMMM NO!)  Oh don't be like him, he would show up to work every Monday at 11am or he wouldn't come in at all because he was hungover.  He said that he was sick but on the days he would come in he'd still smell of alcohol.  Don't be like him please."  My main school even had to make Monday's English class schedule start at 11:40 because of this guy.  They finally changed it last year because they noticed with me they didn't need to accommodate such a ridiculous schedule. 

I know this is not you OP, but sadly we've had to pay the price for a lot of the "jerk off, here to have fun" teachers. 

With that being said, I've been little annoyed at my Instagram stories when I see some of us NETs out EVERYDAY grabbing beers with friends on a week night/school night.  I mean if you work for a hakwon that has unicorn hours of 2pm to 8pm then I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU.  But if you have to be at the office by 8:40 or 9am and you are out having beers/sojus/cocktails/wine every damn night like seriously what are you even doing with your life.  I had a good laugh when I noticed one of the people I follow on IG said that she got a write up at her hakwon for being late.   OH I WONDER WHY.  Was it perhaps you were out having Samkyupsal and soju with your homies till late till the night on a Damn TUESDAY!!!   I know the Koreans do it, but we aren't them and being habitually late and smelling of alcohol is really so 2008.  None of my close friends are really at like that at their jobs.  Just saying.

Do folks still do this?  I would think someone like David would not have his contract renewed.  I know maybe up until 10 years ago some rural areas may have been desperate and renewed some creeps like that.  But I can't believe schools are desperate in 2018 that they would put up with that. 

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »

Do folks still do this?  I would think someone like David would not have his contract renewed.  I know maybe up until 10 years ago some rural areas may have been desperate and renewed some creeps like that.  But I can't believe schools are desperate in 2018 that they would put up with that.

Yeah I'm not sure how long he served with my school.  I think it was just for a year.  My former ct really hated him.  She told me stories on how he would always bring in Lotteria to eat it in the mornings and left fastfood garbage around his desk.  Probably under the impression that I was going to be the same  :rolleyes:

As far as people "still doing this" a lot of the noobs I meet at EPIK orientation seemed pretty excited and gun ho about being the best teacher they could be.  A lot of them seemed serious to be teachers.  And most of my close friends don't have stories of skipping work.  So I can say the era of the "bucket drink/full moon party teachers" seems to be a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:06:24 PM by Piggydee »