December 13, 2018, 12:39:46 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: EPIK teachers only sick on Mondays and Fridays  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
Re: EPIK teachers only sick on Mondays and Fridays
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
PiggyDee: I know the Koreans do it, but we aren't them and being habitually late and smelling of alcohol is really so 2008.  None of my close friends are really at like that at their jobs.  Just saying. 

That was a thing in 2008?  I guess I missed that trend.  Unless you have discipline issues, going out for a drink mid-week shouldn't be an issue.  If you're getting hammered and getting to bed a few hours before you need to get up you're going to pay for it.  Either with a long day or with your reputation.  My gf has Thursdays off and sometimes likes to have a get together with lots of beers on the Wednesday.  I've established that I'm a reliable worker and my co-t likes to hear about it when I'm tired from a late night on Thursday as she thinks it's funny that my gf has it off and it's my busiest day. She can't hold her alcohol and has told me numerous times that she envies me my ability to drink beers.  Maybe because I'm the only male teacher in the school they just figure that's what men are up to.  Definitely not an issue here.  Maybe Epik gets the riff raff.

I wasn't speaking to the UK mindset of things.  One and done.  I was talking about those who can polish off a 6pack or more.  If that's you cool!  Just don't f' it up for the rest of us responsible people by showing up late and slurring your words.  If you can handle your party more power to you.  I'm just speaking about those I see on my IG that "say Oh man my school is being d**ks because I showed up late".....ugh trying staying home for once dummy!!

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »
So, I have been Korea for two years and was sick for the first time last week Friday. I came to work today still sick because #KOREA . If I stay home one more day, then my reputation will be trashed. I come to work to an overly suspicious coT who suspects that I am not really sick and just needed a long weekend. When I asked her why, she says they usually have discussions with other teachers and it widely known that EPIK teachers only take sick days on Mondays and Fridays, so they all have trust issues now :laugh: :laugh:

This 'widely known' BS just boils down to xenophobia and confirmation bias. Add into the mix the group-think idiocy of forcing sick people to be around well people and you end up with good employees being guilted for being mortal or sick employees spreading their illnesses around like typhoid Mary for fear of losing face.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
So, I have been Korea for two years and was sick for the first time last week Friday. I came to work today still sick because #KOREA . If I stay home one more day, then my reputation will be trashed. I come to work to an overly suspicious coT who suspects that I am not really sick and just needed a long weekend. When I asked her why, she says they usually have discussions with other teachers and it widely known that EPIK teachers only take sick days on Mondays and Fridays, so they all have trust issues now :laugh: :laugh:

This 'widely known' BS just boils down to xenophobia and confirmation bias. Add into the mix the group-think idiocy of forcing sick people to be around well people and you end up with good employees being guilted for being mortal or sick employees spreading their illnesses around like typhoid Mary for fear of losing face.

Yep lump that in with the same urban myths of "You're American you must eat McDonalds breakfast, lunch, and dinner." Despite living no where near a McDonalds :rolleyes: :rolleyes:   Yeah sorry OP it's teachers from back in the haydays of ESL in Korea that has Koreans with PTSD about Johhny McBurger who woul stay out late every night drunk off soju and who had a revolving door of chicks coming from his apartment.  Sadly still living under their shadows.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 06:32:24 PM »
I know the Koreans do it, but we aren't them and being habitually late and smelling of alcohol is really so 2008.  None of my close friends are really at like that at their jobs.  Just saying.
Koreans have a method that allows it to work-

1) Start Early and Start on Time. Whether it's done at 5 or done at 7. By 7:15 you're sitting down and food is there. Why? You already decided hours earlier where you're eating and you're not wasting time because someone is desperate for attention and has decided to become vegan/gluten-free. (Halal/Kosher followers and medical vegetarians and allergies are exempted from this rant). Also, you probably picked someplace close because no one is terrified to go to a place that's not Hongdae/Itaewon/Gangnam
2) Drink hard and fast. If you want to get your buzz on, get your buzz on. Don't putz around sipping a beer. That means soju/somaek and you get right down to it. You should probably have a a good 6-8 in you by the time the food is ready to eat.
3) Leave quickly and decide where you want to go during dinner. When dinner is finished. Leave. Don't spend 40 minutes lingering around or forcefeeding yourselves the last bits so nothing is wasted. Then it's on to round two.
4) Get down to business at round two. You should be staggered by 9:30, even if you started at 7:00. Then you go home and are in bed by 10:30. That gives you a good 7-9 hours of sleep before you have to go to work.

Basically, don't do what unseasoned waygooks do, which is start dinner at 9:00 and decide to club at 11:30 because you've poorly paced your drinking and then taxi home at 2:00 but wait till 3:00 because you're dealing with taxis. Then stumble in late and wonder why your boss doesn't trust you with anything and they demand signed notes when you call in sick.

In other words, have the discipline to determine a start time, a finish time, and stick to it.

Most responsible people don't go out at all during the week.

In the UK, during weekdays you would go for a meal and a pint. That's it! Wait until Friday night for the next piss-up.

Yeah, drinking small amounts on most days is fairly normal in the UK, at least for people over 30. A lot of Americans and Koreans seem to think drinking automatically means getting absolutely destroyed.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 07:21:52 PM »

This is still the 'old' way of thinking. When I first came here, I took a sick day as the stress was just too much, head teacher at the time had made a huge balls up and pinned it on me, I was 3 months in and had no idea why the entire office was giving me the stink eye and ignoring me. Those people never let me forget about taking that one sick day till the day I moved to a new school, thank God for that.

These days, I've taken plenty of sick days. I've explained the logic to my CTs that I'd rather take one day off, if I have the flu, instead of being totally useless at school for the entire week. It seems they understand. Two of my CTs have even gone so far as to fib on my attendance sheet that I was at school, just to make sure nothing jeopardizes my renewal.

It seems like reputation among colleagues is more of a concern here than back home.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 08:11:03 AM »
I once got into a world of trouble for being off sick in my first year in Korea, on a Monday, despite having a doctors note, I had pneumonia and spent the weekend and the Monday in hospital. I took one day off, the Monday and was back at school on the Tuesday. 5 years in.... I hadn't taken another sick day until recently. But I still went to school first, it was a Wednesday, puked in a bin during one class and had to teach 2 more classes after that seated in my chair, between sporadic trips to the loo (I had food poisoning). They let me go home AFTER I had taught my classes, and suggested I take the next day off. I was asked "soju?" Got a doctor's note to prove it wasn't soju.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
I don't get the Monday Friday obsession. Unless they think people are jetting off somewhere for a long weekend, it doesn't make any sense to take a day off on Friday or Monday because of drinking. If you're a binge drinker and drink a lot on Friday and Saturday, Sunday will be the least likely day you'll want to drink again I'd have thought. You're probably more likely to have a break and start drinking again on Monday night. Unless Sunday and Thursday have become going out nights.   

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 08:58:44 AM »
"there are 10 sick days you can legally take, as stated in the contract we both signed & agreed to... but don't you dare use any of them!"

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
"there are 10 sick days you can legally take, as stated in the contract we both signed & agreed to... but don't you dare use any of them!"

I get 11 in my contract. :p
But, that is still fairly accurate haha

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
I once got into a world of trouble for being off sick in my first year in Korea, on a Monday, despite having a doctors note, I had pneumonia and spent the weekend and the Monday in hospital. I took one day off, the Monday and was back at school on the Tuesday. 5 years in.... I hadn't taken another sick day until recently. But I still went to school first, it was a Wednesday, puked in a bin during one class and had to teach 2 more classes after that seated in my chair, between sporadic trips to the loo (I had food poisoning). They let me go home AFTER I had taught my classes, and suggested I take the next day off. I was asked "soju?" Got a doctor's note to prove it wasn't soju.

Get into a car accident....soju?
Get into a skiing or snowboarding accident...soju?
Something falls on your head and gives you a slight concusion....soju?

Wow we must have to immortal to not have anything blamed on us being drunk. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:51:18 AM by Piggydee »

Online mikeycknowsrnb

• Adventurer
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
This thread opened my eyes a lot. I remember when I first came here, they would strangely ask about my drinking habits.  I thought it was just to get to know more about me but after reading this, I think it may have been to find out if I was gonna be a "bad" foreigner or not  :laugh:.

But yea, it seems like sick days are like the nice plates in your moms cabinet. There but never to be used. The EPIK contract also has ridiculous terms regarding death also. Apparently they know our family dynamics and can decide how much time we need to mourn for certain family members. I think 3 days for your parents but only 1 for a Grandparent lol.  I wish it wasn't looked down upon to take days of cause I could definitely do without sick teachers coughing and sneezing all day around me in the office.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
This thread opened my eyes a lot. I remember when I first came here, they would strangely ask about my drinking habits.  I thought it was just to get to know more about me but after reading this, I think it may have been to find out if I was gonna be a "bad" foreigner or not  :laugh:.

But yea, it seems like sick days are like the nice plates in your moms cabinet. There but never to be used. The EPIK contract also has ridiculous terms regarding death also. Apparently they know our family dynamics and can decide how much time we need to mourn for certain family members. I think 3 days for your parents but only 1 for a Grandparent lol.  I wish it wasn't looked down upon to take days of cause I could definitely do without sick teachers coughing and sneezing all day around me in the office.

That's such a good analogy about sick days here.  I'm not sure but I believe we do get berevment time.  I think we are allowed one week.  I noticed my principal at my school was gone for a week when his mother died.  I mean my main school doesn't seem heartless like that.  Especially if they know I have to go fly back. 

Online Renma

• Waygookin
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »
With EPIK it is 5 days leave for your parents death, 2 days for grandparents, 1 day for a sibling and 1 day for your child (!).

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
I don't get the Monday Friday obsession. Unless they think people are jetting off somewhere for a long weekend, it doesn't make any sense to take a day off on Friday or Monday because of drinking. If you're a binge drinker and drink a lot on Friday and Saturday, Sunday will be the least likely day you'll want to drink again I'd have thought. You're probably more likely to have a break and start drinking again on Monday night. Unless Sunday and Thursday have become going out nights.

It's called alcoholism.  Yes a responsible person (like myself, toots own horn) would use Sunday as a day for rest.  Going out on Sunday, even if it's for brunch sounds terrible.   I have never in my time of being here have had to "call in sick" due to a hangover.  Now yes I will admit back in my first year here, there were a few times I would take advantage of the "Ladies nights" on a Thursday in Hongdae or Itaewon.  But I had a hakwon time of 1pm to 7pm.   And yes even if I did over do it I would still SHOW UP headache, nausea and all.  Because  this was my only job and I didn't want to be fired in a foreign country.  This was yeeeeeeeeears ago and now I see that going out is not worth it. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:01:33 PM by Piggydee »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »
With EPIK it is 5 days leave for your parents death, 2 days for grandparents, 1 day for a sibling and 1 day for your child (!).

wot
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »

wot

I think that the logic is that loosing a child would make you useless for the remainder of the contract, so they force you to quit.

Offline AWVM_HXE

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 09:28:21 PM »

"Excuse me, Ms. Blah, but are you calling me a liar?"

She'll back down immediately. This sounds like a ploy to prevent you from taking sick days.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 07:16:01 AM »

Ummmm that can't be right.  I need to ask about this to EPIK.

Offline Dweebs1

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 08:03:22 AM »
I had a teacher in my town that used up all his sick days on Mondays and Friday a lot. He would even be sick on the last couple of days of his vacation. He would even lose some of his vacation days when he left school early or came to school late. He didn't realize that he was being docked vacation time from leaving early and arriving late for school until he was two days late from vacation one summer and was docked pay.

Online Renma

• Waygookin
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »

Ummmm that can't be right.  I need to ask about this to EPIK.

Article 16.3 of the contract, have it in front of me. I suppose it could vary by province though.