December 18, 2018, 08:02:59 PM

Author Topic: EPIK teachers only sick on Mondays and Fridays  (Read 2624 times)

Offline BlackBird2

• Explorer
EPIK teachers only sick on Mondays and Fridays
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »
So, I have been Korea for two years and was sick for the first time last week Friday. I came to work today still sick because #KOREA . If I stay home one more day, then my reputation will be trashed. I come to work to an overly suspicious coT who suspects that I am not really sick and just needed a long weekend. When I asked her why, she says they usually have discussions with other teachers and it widely known that EPIK teachers only take sick days on Mondays and Fridays, so they all have trust issues now :laugh: :laugh:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: EPIK teachers only sick on Mondays and Fridays
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 11:41:43 AM »
Did you explain that that's an unfair stereotype and that it's not professional to assume things like that about coworkers without any evidence?

Online JenniferNZ1

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 11:52:51 AM »
I am rarely really ill, but last year I was vomiting on the Thursday night and on the Friday morning I was unable to get as far as the taxi stand.  Later that morning I made it to the doctors - maybe 400 metres away with a couple of rests on convenient seats on the way.  This was the Friday before the Chuseok full week off!!!  (and we had to alter our Chuseok plans as I wasn't able to travel for a couple more days)  It didn't look good to my new co-teacher (and didn't help that we weren't on the best of terms!!!)  I'm sure she never believed me after that when I said I wasn't feeling too well - even though I went to school.  Fortunately the other teachers at the school knew me better.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »
it widely known that EPIK teachers only take sick days on Mondays and Fridays, so they all have trust issues now

Ha ha.

True, if I was very sick on a Thursday, I would probably still go in just to prove to everyone how sick I was and then be able to take the Friday off unchallenged.
Catch my drift?

Offline BlackBird2

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
it widely known that EPIK teachers only take sick days on Mondays and Fridays, so they all have trust issues now

Ha ha.

True, if I was very sick on a Thursday, I would probably still go in just to prove to everyone how sick I was and then be able to take the Friday off unchallenged.

I kind of did the same... in a way. I wasn't feeling well on Thursday but I personally didn't feel it was reason enough not to go to work, so I went. I also thought I'd feel better by the end of the day. However, I still woke up feeling crappy on Friday, it didn't help that it was raining, so I called in sick.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »
You can thank the previous NET that always got mysteriously "sick" those Mondays and Fridays, particularly right around holidays and vacation days.

It sucks to be viewed with suspicion for something you didn't do, but employees are like mice. If you give them a cookie, they'll ask for a glass of milk.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »
You can thank the previous NET that always got mysteriously "sick" those Mondays and Fridays, particularly right around holidays and vacation days.

It sucks to be viewed with suspicion for something you didn't do, but employees are like mice. If you give them a cookie, they'll ask for a glass of milk.

Did the mouse have a contract that said--if they needed it--they could have up to three cookies before anyone could say anything about it?  :rolleyes:

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »
Ahhhh yes the "Sorry I had a cold" Mondays (hangover) and the "I've been throwing up all last night so can't come in" Fridays for a 3 day weekend OR hungover from going out on a Thursday.  Not saying that's you OP, but our co-teachers are pretty wise to the games we play.  I was even ask by last co-teacher, when we first met and I told her I was from Texas she said "Oh no do you know David from Dallas (UMMM NO!)  Oh don't be like him, he would show up to work every Monday at 11am or he wouldn't come in at all because he was hungover.  He said that he was sick but on the days he would come in he'd still smell of alcohol.  Don't be like him please."  My main school even had to make Monday's English class schedule start at 11:40 because of this guy.  They finally changed it last year because they noticed with me they didn't need to accommodate such a ridiculous schedule. 

I know this is not you OP, but sadly we've had to pay the price for a lot of the "jerk off, here to have fun" teachers. 

With that being said, I've been little annoyed at my Instagram stories when I see some of us NETs out EVERYDAY grabbing beers with friends on a week night/school night.  I mean if you work for a hakwon that has unicorn hours of 2pm to 8pm then I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU.  But if you have to be at the office by 8:40 or 9am and you are out having beers/sojus/cocktails/wine every damn night like seriously what are you even doing with your life.  I had a good laugh when I noticed one of the people I follow on IG said that she got a write up at her hakwon for being late.   OH I WONDER WHY.  Was it perhaps you were out having Samkyupsal and soju with your homies till late till the night on a Damn TUESDAY!!!   I know the Koreans do it, but we aren't them and being habitually late and smelling of alcohol is really so 2008.  None of my close friends are really at like that at their jobs.  Just saying. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:25:55 PM by Piggydee »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
I know the Koreans do it, but we aren't them and being habitually late and smelling of alcohol is really so 2008.  None of my close friends are really at like that at their jobs.  Just saying.
Koreans have a method that allows it to work-

1) Start Early and Start on Time. Whether it's done at 5 or done at 7. By 7:15 you're sitting down and food is there. Why? You already decided hours earlier where you're eating and you're not wasting time because someone is desperate for attention and has decided to become vegan/gluten-free. (Halal/Kosher followers and medical vegetarians and allergies are exempted from this rant). Also, you probably picked someplace close because no one is terrified to go to a place that's not Hongdae/Itaewon/Gangnam
2) Drink hard and fast. If you want to get your buzz on, get your buzz on. Don't putz around sipping a beer. That means soju/somaek and you get right down to it. You should probably have a a good 6-8 in you by the time the food is ready to eat.
3) Leave quickly and decide where you want to go during dinner. When dinner is finished. Leave. Don't spend 40 minutes lingering around or forcefeeding yourselves the last bits so nothing is wasted. Then it's on to round two.
4) Get down to business at round two. You should be staggered by 9:30, even if you started at 7:00. Then you go home and are in bed by 10:30. That gives you a good 7-9 hours of sleep before you have to go to work.

Basically, don't do what unseasoned waygooks do, which is start dinner at 9:00 and decide to club at 11:30 because you've poorly paced your drinking and then taxi home at 2:00 but wait till 3:00 because you're dealing with taxis. Then stumble in late and wonder why your boss doesn't trust you with anything and they demand signed notes when you call in sick.

In other words, have the discipline to determine a start time, a finish time, and stick to it.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »
Puke on them.
No more questions.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »
I know the Koreans do it, but we aren't them and being habitually late and smelling of alcohol is really so 2008.  None of my close friends are really at like that at their jobs.  Just saying.

1) Start Early and Start on Time. Whether it's done at 5 or done at 7. By 7:15 you're sitting down and food is there. Why? You already decided hours earlier where you're eating and you're not wasting time because someone is desperate for attention and has decided to become vegan/gluten-free. (Halal/Kosher followers and medical vegetarians and allergies are exempted from this rant). Also, you probably picked someplace close because no one is terrified to go to a place that's not Hongdae/Itaewon/Gangnam
2) Drink hard and fast. If you want to get your buzz on, get your buzz on. Don't putz around sipping a beer. That means soju/somaek and you get right down to it. You should probably have a a good 6-8 in you by the time the food is ready to eat.
3) Leave quickly and decide where you want to go during dinner. When dinner is finished. Leave. Don't spend 40 minutes lingering around or forcefeeding yourselves the last bits so nothing is wasted. Then it's on to round two.
4) Get down to business at round two. You should be staggered by 9:30, even if you started at 7:00. Then you go home and are in bed by 10:30. That gives you a good 7-9 hours of sleep before you have to go to work.

Basically, don't do what unseasoned waygooks do, which is start dinner at 9:00 and decide to club at 11:30 because you've poorly paced your drinking and then taxi home at 2:00 but wait till 3:00 because you're dealing with taxis. Then stumble in late and wonder why your boss doesn't trust you with anything and they demand signed notes when you call in sick.

In other words, have the discipline to determine a start time, a finish time, and stick to it.

Most responsible people don't go out at all during the week.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »
Well yes, Mr.DeMartino there is that.  But if you over shoot your mark on these days and go in having a hungover, was it really worth it?  I've noticed kids tend to be the most loud, annoying, and misbehaving when you are really "going through" it.  A pounding headache and lopsided feeling stomach is not worth it on a school night.  Save your party for a Friday and Saturday.   

Plus, I don't know if this is true.  But I've heard from many a veteran drinkers that no matter how many showers you take, the morning after a night out of the tiles (out drinking) your pores will exude the smell of alcohol.  That's why men put the cologne on heavy.  I'm not sure if this is true for women but I usually just drink on Saturdays so my body can detox on Sunday, shower up nice and heavy on Sunday night and body mist my body on Monday morning just in case I might still have that after effect.  I don't think I have ever experienced this on myself but I do this just in case.  I don't know if this is true.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:55:14 PM by Piggydee »

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »

Agreed.  Not worth it.  Plus give your liver a rest.  New studies have shown even moderate daily drinking can have small toxic effects to your health.  I saw this great BBC documentary about it. 

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »
You're absolutely right. In any amount alcohol does more harm than good. The alcohol industry pushed the idea that their products are healthy. The problem is they were the one's backing studies about alcohol and health, only releasing those which made them look good. Huge conflict of interest there.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 01:09:25 PM »

Agreed.  Not worth it.  Plus give your liver a rest.  New studies have shown even moderate daily drinking can have small toxic effects to your health.  I saw this great BBC documentary about it.

This too. The best thing to do is to keep things low key. It's okay to go out, but go out with that friend who doesn't drink and you'll just get a quiet dinner and coffee. Maybe play a game of chess or watch a movie or do some grocery shopping together. Or the D&D club or whatever.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »

This too. The best thing to do is to keep things low key. It's okay to go out, but go out with that friend who doesn't drink and you'll just get a quiet dinner and coffee. Maybe play a game of chess or watch a movie or do some grocery shopping together. Or the D&D club or whatever.

BTW Mr. DeMartino, not saying this is you, but what you just described earlier is functioning alcoholism.  Same as functioning drug addicts.  It's why the popular all star kids at your school growing up could hide their coke,meth, xanax habits.  Some people are just really good at handling their party.  Some people are able to do it for yeeears till they hit that brick wall and then they have to come clean, family interventions, rehab, etc. 

Offline BlackBird2

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »

Did the mouse have a contract that said--if they needed it--they could have up to three cookies before anyone could say anything about it?  :rolleyes:

I get you but I don't drink. I've been at the same school for two years so they know I don't drink and always talk me into doing it when we're out. Hangover is not my issue but now I am worried that I can't be sick otherwise it's going to look suspicious and makes me feel like I am doing something wrong.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »

In the UK, during weekdays you would go for a meal and a pint. That's it! Wait until Friday night for the next piss-up.

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 02:15:02 PM »
PiggyDee: I know the Koreans do it, but we aren't them and being habitually late and smelling of alcohol is really so 2008.  None of my close friends are really at like that at their jobs.  Just saying. 

That was a thing in 2008?  I guess I missed that trend.  Unless you have discipline issues, going out for a drink mid-week shouldn't be an issue.  If you're getting hammered and getting to bed a few hours before you need to get up you're going to pay for it.  Either with a long day or with your reputation.  My gf has Thursdays off and sometimes likes to have a get together with lots of beers on the Wednesday.  I've established that I'm a reliable worker and my co-t likes to hear about it when I'm tired from a late night on Thursday as she thinks it's funny that my gf has it off and it's my busiest day. She can't hold her alcohol and has told me numerous times that she envies me my ability to drink beers.  Maybe because I'm the only male teacher in the school they just figure that's what men are up to.  Definitely not an issue here.  Maybe Epik gets the riff raff.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »
I think the key is who you drink with. Most of your ct's if they drink will probably be drinking with other teachers from the school, which often includes the principal, and vice-principal. And if they think you may be not so healthy the next morning, they'll be pretty accommodating. But you still will have to show up though.

That was a thing in 2008?
Just say it was much much more common the further back you go. Soju was cheap, and what they got paid was even cheaper... Let's say around 2004, I'd literally be called out ever 2nd-ish day to get sloshed with various teachers from my school. Most of the time they'd shut it down before 1 am. But from the stories I've heard, like in the 70's to the 90's, when teaching jobs weren't as secure (teacher would literally be fired on the spot), they'd go wild drinking. And even parents knew this. But somehow all of them would manage to be ready, to be at least physically present in their classes at 8:30 am.