November 19, 2018, 07:17:54 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: What's up with the youth unemployment in Korea  (Read 1168 times)

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
What's up with the youth unemployment in Korea
« on: November 10, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2018/11/10/2018111000385.html

It's seems like Korea seems to echo Japan in many regards. Japan has had a problem with 'hikikimori' (Japanese people, particularly youngsters, who lock themselves in their rooms for months, years or decades as they can't handle the pressures of society) for years. It's no surprise that the Korean youth are starting to follow suit.

My big concern is, are Korea's youth really unable to find jobs? I'm constantly hearing how the youth have are having a massively tough time finding work. One of the lowest birth rates in the world, a manufacturing hub, yet people still can't find work? I'm leaning more to the belief that it's not the case that the youth can't find jobs, they just aren't satisfied with what's available.

Years spent memorizing words and formulas in a hagwon, writing tests and going to university. I think these kids and parents are expecting CEO positions to suddenly open up. Reality kicks in and instead of saying her precious Minsu is packing boxes in a storage room, it's easier to say that he's "studying", while he mopes around at home waiting for that CEO position to open up.

I dunno, am I missing something?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: What's up with the youth unemployment in Korea
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
15 interviews from 150 cvs sent doesn't sound too bad to me

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »
are Korea's youth really unable to find jobs? I'm constantly hearing how the youth have are having a massively tough time finding work. One of the lowest birth rates in the world, a manufacturing hub, yet people still can't find work?

Its even less credible when you consider that jobs are automatically given to young people while those over 40 are thrown on the scrapheap. Everywhere you look in this country, from hospitals to shops..is staffed by people aged 20-35.  Anyone over that is out collecting cardboard. It is a horrendous picture of discrimination but korea can't seem to help itself.

Agreed. If you are young in korea ..jobs abound.

I'm leaning more to the belief that it's not the case that the youth can't find jobs, they just aren't satisfied with what's available.

It could be that the young grow up too pampered and idealistic. They all expect to be lawyers and doctors instead of just getting stuck in to whats available.
Catch my drift?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »
yes, i often see 36 years old collecting cardboard in the streets  :rolleyes:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 03:53:28 PM »

Or those high stressed Chaebol jobs really aged them.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »
:)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »

Or those high stressed Chaebol jobs really aged them.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 07:54:05 PM »

I tend to use  a lot of hyperbole.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:29:04 AM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Offline eastcoast

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 07:57:14 AM »
I find that when I pursue unseemly escapades online, there are a lot of women 25 - 35 here that just quit the jobs they have, travel for a year, and then complain that they are bored and can't find a new job. I find it repulsive that they spend some of the most critical years of their career sitting at their folks' homes as a "jip-soo-nee" and blaming it on "this awful society." Many of them say they want or plan to live in Western countries because those countries are so good to all their people and have so many jobs available. The grass is certainly greener on the other side. I have called out a few of them on it, and they get teenager-style defensive. That's when they get to the "You are just lucky you are foreigner so you can easy to have a job here." Um no, I have over 10 years experience in my field and hold a Master's, Doctorate, and certificates that I worked and paid for, that I earned WHILE WORKING.

Anyway, I don't mind losing those escapades, because who wants some clingy deadbeat that will later blame you for arranging a loveless hookup, even though that's pretty much all THEY wanted but need the plausible deniability.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
Korea's youth unemployment is on the rise. However, if anyone had bothered to investigate, they'd know that this is a global problem.

Korea is actually in the mid-low end of the spectrum in the 10% range. It's closer to countries like the U.S., Canada, Netherlands, China, Norway, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Denmark, with Poland at the higher end at around 15%. On the other end are Spain, France, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Belgium, Finland, and Portugal with rates higher than 20% and in some cases approaching 40%.

The lowest in the developed world? Singapore, Japan and Germany.

Online alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 11:27:34 AM »
Do call centres usually hire young people in Korea?  That's the usual go-to job for graduates in England who are struggling to find something and need money.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 12:37:52 PM »
Many of them say they want or plan to live in Western countries because those countries are so good to all their people and have so many jobs available.
I wonder if they also realize what kind of jobs will be available to them without a western degree?

Sure, there are jobs, but with a degree from Chung-blah-blah College, you're pretty much limited to low-end service sector cashier, or sales jobs.

Online Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »
Maybe part of the problem is numbers. Why use 15-29 as the age bracket? Most 15-18 year olds are in school. Am I missing something? Seems a more appropriate age would be 18-29. There can't be that many jobs available for underage children anyway.

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:50:30 PM »
Maybe part of the problem is numbers. Why use 15-29 as the age bracket? Most 15-18 year olds are in school. Am I missing something? Seems a more appropriate age would be 18-29. There can't be that many jobs available for underage children anyway.

yeah, students don't count in unemployment statistics. it's only people who don't have a job and are actively searching for work (by most definitions).

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
Most young well educated Koreans will never have a part time job while they were studying and when they finished studying will only apply for the best job available to them and if they don't get it will continue to add shite onto their CV to get the job next year when the application process opens up again instead of looking for a lower level job or any other job. This is because once they land the Samsung/LG job they are set for life.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
Do call centres usually hire young people in Korea?  That's the usual go-to job for graduates in England who are struggling to find something and need money.

Korea is not the UK. Your average Korean graduate pines for that job in one of the big Chaebol companies and will spend a long time applying for such positions. After trying for a while, they give up and try to expand their resume by picking up new skills (Uber Microsoft user) or try to improve their TOEIC score and then apply again when the process opens.

If they fail at that, they may try applying for Medium-sized companies, then smaller companies and then they may become another unemployed statistic.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
Korea's youth unemployment is on the rise. However, if anyone had bothered to investigate, they'd know that this is a global problem.

Korea is actually in the mid-low end of the spectrum in the 10% range. It's closer to countries like the U.S., Canada, Netherlands, China, Norway, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Denmark, with Poland at the higher end at around 15%. On the other end are Spain, France, Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Belgium, Finland, and Portugal with rates higher than 20% and in some cases approaching 40%.

The lowest in the developed world? Singapore, Japan and Germany.
You're comparing kimchi to truly rotten cabbage with a lot of those countries.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 12:00:14 PM »
Korea's youth unemployment is on the rise.

If Korea doesn't have enough jobs, why do they import foreign workers constantly?
Catch my drift?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 12:08:35 PM »
Korea's youth unemployment is on the rise.

If Korea doesn't have enough jobs, why do they import foreign workers constantly?

Working in a factory and becoming middle management after 6 years?

THE SHAME
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 12:09:08 PM »
Companies lobby politicians to allow foreign workers to perform jobs they can pay them lower wages or that aren't deemed as attractive or well-paying by a significant part of the population.