March 25, 2019, 09:18:52 PM

Author Topic: Tucker Carlson  (Read 2644 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
Re: Tucker Carlson
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
A lot of what he said was pretty offensive, but not as far as I know illegal in the US. If people don't like it, don't listen to his show.

I hate the concept of "It's not good enough that I don't listen to it, you shouldn't be able to listen to it either."

The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
Uh-oh. Someone dug up some insensitive comments Carlson made over a decade ago. He's probably in Antifa's crosshairs again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/12/tucker-carlson-needs-go-now/

not really, he's just a massive cuunt like Sean Hannity.  twaats who think they can say what they want and be hired by a low-grade trashy tv channel.  also of their ilk, you can chuck in Kavanaugh and you've a threesome of drunken, frat boys who seem to think that there is no transgression too low that they should be held responsible for. 

Offline Chester Jim

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Getter Done
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 02:00:34 PM »
Uh-oh. Someone dug up some insensitive comments Carlson made over a decade ago. He's probably in Antifa's crosshairs again.

not really, he's just a massive cuunt like Sean Hannity.  twaats who think they can say what they want and be hired by a low-grade trashy tv channel.  also of their ilk, you can chuck in Kavanaugh and you've a threesome of drunken, frat boys who seem to think that there is no transgression too low that they should be held responsible for.
People should be able to say what they want.   I love free speech.  I think it would be hell to hold your tongue when you strongly disagree with someone.   Fox just gives a voice to people who instinctively sense bs from leftist arguments. 
Bonzai!

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »

People should be able to say what they want.   I love free speech.  I think it would be hell to hold your tongue when you strongly disagree with someone.   Fox just gives a voice to people who instinctively sense bs from leftist arguments.

i have no problem with free speech, but there are certain jobs of influence where you have to be careful what comes out of your mouth.  words have repercussions.  trump for example, put him back in a boardroom and I couldn't give a shit what he does, hookers can piss on him..again... and I wouldn't care, make him president and listen to his stream of nonsensical, racist, divisive rhetoric and then we have problems.  in a position of responsibility you have to be aware of how you talk.  teachers also.  you may think Dokdo belongs to Japan, but do you tell your students that here?  of course you don't.  you'd last five seconds here with that kind of speaking your mind.  so what stops you from saying these things while you're here?  your words have real repercussions.  going back to the States and saying that kind of thing is another thing altogether. 

in my opinion, you don't do anything that you wouldn't tell your family or friends or say something that you wouldn't say to the people involved. that's what I do.  if Carlson wants to go to Iraq and tell them it's a... 

“crappy place filled with a bunch of, you know, semiliterate primitive monkeys,”

or

“don’t use toilet paper or forks."

then I'll be fine with that.  will he? of course not.  he's a coward who hides behind his privileged position as a broadcaster for an awful tv channel that supports his views.

or this...

In March 2006, Carlson spoke about his desire for a presidential candidate to blame the “lunatic Muslims who are behaving like animals.” That candidate would be “elected king” if they vowed to “kill as many of them as [they] can,” Carlson added.

let's see him explain that to Muslims in America.  would he?  of course not.  he's a coward. 

now, he's just acting like he's the victim.  seems to fit with the modern day conservative that says what they want. 

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 10:05:12 PM »

And yet you complained to the mods when I addressed you as jester. Free speech, my arse.

As for Fox, LOL. They peddle debunked conspiracy theories that attract those who prefer a fiction that vindicates their prejudices to the facts.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 07:40:43 AM »
Many young people today don't seem to grasp the concept of freedom of speech, which is why they probably don't value it.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 07:55:30 AM »
Guys guys guys...

It was on Bubba The Love Sponge

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »
Many young people today don't seem to grasp the concept of freedom of speech, which is why they probably don't value it.

Many old people don't grasp the concept of free speech either. There are several reasonable limitations on free speech, but a large chunk of society just likes to go, "i can say anything 'cuz muh free speech!" also, i notice older people often conflate the legal right to free speech with the "right" to be liked and respected no matter what you say.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 03:11:27 PM »

but a large chunk of society just likes to go, "i can say anything 'cuz muh free speech!"

""I was talking about people in the media, writers, pundits, political commentators etc... Not some drunk guy down the pub.

also, i notice older people often conflate the legal right to free speech with the "right" to be liked and respected no matter what you say.

Never come across that before. Most  people who come a cropper from the PC brigade know they are hated and despised by large sections of society

Online shanebarry1986

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »
older people often conflate the legal right to free speech with the "right" to be liked and respected no matter what you say.

No, they don't.

Offline Andyman

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »
Then why did it get brought up here, and why does it get brought up any time there's a controversy about something someone said? Generally these people aren't being threatened with jail.

In other words, the backlash to speech is also a form of free speech. You can boycott, complain and protest all you like. Unless you're physically preventing someone from exercising expression on public land, or threatening them with legal consequences, free speech doesn't really come into it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:58:12 PM by Andyman »

Offline Andyman

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »
And yes, I know that some people have been thwarted from speaking in public college campuses. I think that's a potential violation of free speech rights. Acknowledging that Tucker Carlson is a douche is not.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 07:24:46 PM »
Then why did it get brought up here, and why does it get brought up any time there's a controversy about something someone said? Generally these people aren't being threatened with jail.

In other words, the backlash to speech is also a form of free speech. You can boycott, complain and protest all you like. Unless you're physically preventing someone from exercising expression on public land, or threatening them with legal consequences, free speech doesn't really come into it.

Freedom of speech isn't just about being jailed, there are loads of other degrees of freedom of speech that have got worse in the last twenty years or so. At the top end you have criminal proceedings but as you go down the scale you have people losing their jobs, not getting work, being reprimanded at work, feeling they can't speak out about certain things in public, having to do compulsory training at work that goes against their beliefs, all sorts of things that didn't happen in the past. And I'm not talking about the freedom to tell sexist or racist jokes, or be offensive like Carlson, I'm talking about the freedom to speak out against the political orthodoxy.  Like Damore for example.

Offline Andyman

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 07:52:52 PM »
Okay, but those other degrees of freedom are usually not codified in the same way that legal freedom is. If you don't sign a contract guaranteeing a certain degree of freedom of speech in your workplace, it's entirely at the discretion of your bosses, and they're going to act in a way that puts their business interests first. There is no rational reason why a private business should prioritize freedom of speech over, say, their public image, unless they've built that image on that very principle.

As to your last point, I think this is largely a matter of perspective. Even something as anodyne as The Rachel Maddow Show would have been considered "far left" when I was younger. There was literally nothing like that outside of public access TV until fairly recently. To the extent that you could find something like Howard Zinn's People's History of the United States in a school library, you could bet that some parents had tried to get it banned. As much as people complain about social justice issues in popular discourse, they were genuinely kept under a tight lid until this century. And there are still school boards all over the US trying to push the idea that Ronald Regan was a universally loved, uncontroversial president, among other ideas that really need to be put to bed. But now you've got none other than Donald J. Trump going on TV and sounding like Noam Chomsky with "We've got killers too." I'm not being facetious. NOBODY would have said that on TV two decades ago. And if you said it between September 12, 2001 and November, 2008, the hell you'd have got would've been unimaginable.

So I think we've liberalized in some respects and possibly regressed in others, though the fact that this debate has been going on in one form or another since the 1960s makes me suspect that there never really was some golden age of free speech.

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 04:28:17 AM »
you complained to the mods when I addressed you as jester. Free speech, my arse.

;D

Lol...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:31:51 AM by SanderB »
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Offline Chester Jim

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Getter Done
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 06:02:05 AM »
you complained to the mods when I addressed you as jester. Free speech, my arse.

;D

Lol...

This is a good example. 
Western civilization is by all means superior. 

That’s not racist.  That’s an obvious fact that has come to be code for racist.  You can’t say it.  It shows how speech is not free.

Western civilization has been under brutal attack in the last couple centuries.  It can and should be defended easily. 
Bonzai!

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 07:26:35 AM »
So I think we've liberalized in some respects and possibly regressed in others, though the fact that this debate has been going on in one form or another since the 1960s makes me suspect that there never really was some golden age of free speech.

There wasn't social media in the 1960s which makes a huge difference. These companies wouldn't have to fire people for jokes if they never got to hear what the public reaction to a comment was. E.g. Justine Sacco tweeting some crappy joke at the start of a flight and finding out she was basically fired because of it at the end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

By the way, I admit we have bad teeth but cucumber sandwiches? I've never come across one of them outside the works of fiction.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:28:11 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline Chester Jim

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Getter Done
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 07:32:55 AM »
wtf... so oblivious it's ridiculous  :cheesy:

Is this some hipster millennial thing I’m not getting?.  What I won’t do , like most millennials, is pretend to know something or be in on something I’m not.  Also I refuse to believe that they are cool.  They stand for nothing and as nihilists believe in nothing.sad.
I worked with an idiot who would brin up memes and laugh at them.  But they were so stupid I couldn’t force myself to laugh.   I wouldn’t be easily hypnotized, and could not laugh for no reason without calling myself insane.   So sincerely what are you talking about?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:47:04 AM by Chester Jim »
Bonzai!

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 08:16:08 AM »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2019, 09:08:22 AM »
Oh, the good old days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

How about making your point before you link to the video so we don't have to watch the whole thing to find out what your point is?