November 19, 2018, 06:58:29 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Local Post Office complaints  (Read 1685 times)

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
Local Post Office complaints
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:00:02 PM »
In my rural town, there is this middle aged man who works at the post office.  I've been going there for
a while now and I've never said much to him about his "customer service" and attitude towards customers.
He seems to be the more "traditional"/ajusshi-style worker as oppose to the more modern/customer service oriented
younger professionals generation.

He always seems to yell at everyone including me when I hand him a parcel to ship within Korea. He's pretty slow at his job taking easily 4-5 minutes just to process my parcel every single time I go there.  Sometimes he'll make me wait for 2-3 minutes while he's working on something else or talking about something else with some co-worker.

He makes a big deal about the order of how I write the address.  I suppose the Korean way is to write the Province, City, Town (myeon), and then street name and number.   I've often written down the western style which is: street name/number, city, province, zip code.  He tells me he won't serve me next time if I don't write it in the proper order.  Isn't a post office a public/government building and not a private business?  Since when can a post office worker make up his own rules and tell me that he can deny me service?  Can I report him for this?  I really want to send some kind of complaint to upper management of the Korean Postal Service.

Not only that, he's not that good with english.  What the heck is he doing working in a post office if he's weak at english?  His excuse to me was, "This is Korea so you have to write the address in Korean".  I used to write the address in english and I guess he had trouble with that and it pissed him off.  But c'mon, if you work at post office, you must encounter english letters all the time!  How is he still employed with this lack of competency? 

So he says or threatens me that he will deny me service or won't send out my parcels next time if I don't write the address exactly the way he wants.   I don't think he's allowed to do that.  It's not his post office, he's just an employee and I don't think he can refuse or threaten me with remarks like that.   

If anyone knows any information on post office disputes/complaints, please let me know.  I would definitely like to get this man some proper training on customer service.  He's so rude!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: Local Post Office complaints
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 01:26:25 AM »
But c'mon, if you work at post office, you must encounter english letters all the time!  How is he still employed with this lack of competency? 
They probably deal with English post less frequently than you believe.

Anyways, it's called government and bureaucracy. Pass a basic competency test, be part of a public service union, cannot be terminated. If you don't like this, vote Republican because they tend to tackle public sector unions.

Also, the Post Office is like, notorious for anti-social irritable people. There's a reason that the phrase "Going Postal" exists.

I agree that it sucks, but crappy service and bad attitudes at the Post Office are pretty much a way of life wherever you are.

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 07:10:55 AM »
In my rural town, there is this middle aged man who works at the post office.  I've been going there for
a while now and I've never said much to him about his "customer service" and attitude towards customers.
He seems to be the more "traditional"/ajusshi-style worker as oppose to the more modern/customer service oriented
younger professionals generation.

He always seems to yell at everyone including me when I hand him a parcel to ship within Korea. He's pretty slow at his job taking easily 4-5 minutes just to process my parcel every single time I go there.  Sometimes he'll make me wait for 2-3 minutes while he's working on something else or talking about something else with some co-worker.

He makes a big deal about the order of how I write the address.  I suppose the Korean way is to write the Province, City, Town (myeon), and then street name and number.   I've often written down the western style which is: street name/number, city, province, zip code.  He tells me he won't serve me next time if I don't write it in the proper order.  Isn't a post office a public/government building and not a private business?  Since when can a post office worker make up his own rules and tell me that he can deny me service?  Can I report him for this?  I really want to send some kind of complaint to upper management of the Korean Postal Service.

Not only that, he's not that good with english.  What the heck is he doing working in a post office if he's weak at english?  His excuse to me was, "This is Korea so you have to write the address in Korean".  I used to write the address in english and I guess he had trouble with that and it pissed him off.  But c'mon, if you work at post office, you must encounter english letters all the time!  How is he still employed with this lack of competency? 

So he says or threatens me that he will deny me service or won't send out my parcels next time if I don't write the address exactly the way he wants.   I don't think he's allowed to do that.  It's not his post office, he's just an employee and I don't think he can refuse or threaten me with remarks like that.   

If anyone knows any information on post office disputes/complaints, please let me know.  I would definitely like to get this man some proper training on customer service.  He's so rude!

"i live in a rural area of a foreign country and my korean isn't good enough to do things the right way so an old man gets angry at me and i want to report him wahhhhhh" ffs it's not that hard to just write the address in korean and in the proper order. the only valid complaint is that he takes a long time but honestly if it's 4-5 minutes, who cares? just browse some dank memes and get on with it

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 07:29:56 AM »
English is a nice to have, not a must have.

I get the part about the writing though. If he honestly can't figure out that Boseong is 보성 then that is crap.

It's a requirement that post office guys read and write in the Roman alphabet. Packages come in from other countries come in all the time. You need to know that Germans aren't gonna be writing 금정동 on their addresses.

As for the order, he tells you once? Fine. But if YOU keep messing it up, that's on you.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:03:21 AM »
When you say his English isn't good, you mean his spoken English? It's a bit much to expect a postal worker to be conversant in English. If you mean he can't read English, well yes that is a bit surprising, but as you are in a rural locale, not that big of a deal.

As for him being rude, yes, he sounds like a bit of a prick. But complaining is a bit much. Customer service here is so hit and miss. It feels like it's either over the top, super polite and helpful "here have some free shit", or won't even look at you let alone speak to you beyond grunting. I hate that shit.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:10:05 AM »
I have to side with the ajosshi this time.

Holy smokes did I just say that?

:huh: :huh:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:11:45 AM by thunderlips »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
Also, "Engish letters" are you referring to English mail? Or are you referring to the Latin/Roman alphabet?

Since when can a post office worker make up his own rules and tell me that he can deny me service?
Those are the government's rules. It's on YOU to follow them.

I smell some Billy Goats Gruff with the OP.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:30:21 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
Hang on a second.

The bloke has told you numerous times to write the address the Korean way when sending mail within Korea (big to small) and you continue to write it the opposite way (small to big).

I think you're taking the piss to be honest. If I was the ahjeossi and you continued to do this over and over again i'd probably misplace your mail just to teach you a lesson in respect.

Now for international mail then I'd probably accept either form of address with no complaints.

If he's taking the piss making you wait while chatting about unrelated matters then yeah I'd say something there and then in front of the entire staff.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:26:08 AM by AvecPommesFrites »
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »

Now for international mail then I'd probably accept either form of address with no complaints.

As long as the Korean Post people can read what country it's going to, they don't give a toss about the other parts of the address. Not their problem, haha. Hundreds of countries, they're not going to memorise formats or make sure it's correct.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
Why are you frequently sending domestic mail?

Online bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
Korean mail
write in Korean, Big to small

Foreign mail
write in English, small to big

If the post office guy doesn't like this fair play there is a problem, but it seems you may be in the wrong here.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »
In my rural town, there is this middle aged man

^^
Yeah, those are you clues right there.

Incidentally, old Korean men tend to shout angrily even when they're not angry. Just take a bunch of the forms and fill them out at home, before arriving at the post office.

Report the old git? You'll get laughed out of the little myeon.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 10:53:07 AM »

Hmm...lives in rural area...Frequently sending packages domestically...grow op? Maybe OP needs to cut him in.

Offline guppy1000

• Waygookin
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
I suppose the Korean way is to write the Province, City, Town (myeon), and then street name and number. 

Those f*cking savages...

Offline teacher2004

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »
On a side note, I find it very unusual that the intake process at the post office is still very archaic.  Usually when I go, it's not even busy.  I'm the only one in line, but the guy takes forever to process my mail.  How is that everything else in this world has technologically advanced and we can literally do everything on our phones with a touch of 1 button or scan, but it takes 5-10 minutes to process one mail?

Has any country in this world figured out a faster and more efficient way to process mail?  Can't we just type it up on a website or computer or app so that all the post office needs to do is literally just scan a bar code and it's done?

Why is it that everything I write on those slips have to then be re-written by the post office worker  in the computer?  It just seems so archaic and old to pass information like that.  If anything, I would love to just input the information myself.  If there was some kind of "self-checkout" station where we can just enter the shipping information ourselves, have the box weighed/size checked and submit it, now that would be sweet.

Having to stand around watching this guy constantly misunderstand my writing, the address, complaining to me all the time about this letter or that number or this city doesn't exist or this building name doesn't exist.... oh my lord.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:19 PM »
OMG Look! It's disgruntled postal workers!

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
On a side note, I find it very unusual that the intake process at the post office is still very archaic.  Usually when I go, it's not even busy.  I'm the only one in line, but the guy takes forever to process my mail.  How is that everything else in this world has technologically advanced and we can literally do everything on our phones with a touch of 1 button or scan, but it takes 5-10 minutes to process one mail?

Has any country in this world figured out a faster and more efficient way to process mail?  Can't we just type it up on a website or computer or app so that all the post office needs to do is literally just scan a bar code and it's done?

Why is it that everything I write on those slips have to then be re-written by the post office worker  in the computer?  It just seems so archaic and old to pass information like that.  If anything, I would love to just input the information myself.  If there was some kind of "self-checkout" station where we can just enter the shipping information ourselves, have the box weighed/size checked and submit it, now that would be sweet.

Having to stand around watching this guy constantly misunderstand my writing, the address, complaining to me all the time about this letter or that number or this city doesn't exist or this building name doesn't exist.... oh my lord.

I know what would save a lot of time. It's very easy to do. Can anyone think what that might be?
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »
i like the korean post office. the only problem i have had is when they refused to mail my old passport so i could renew it (well, i made a fuss and the worker finally phoned her boss and was told of course it's fine  :rolleyes: )

anyway, aren't most countries' post offices known for being a little behind the times?

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 02:32:42 PM »

Hmm...lives in rural area...Frequently sending packages domestically...grow op? Maybe OP needs to cut him in.

Well that would explain why the employee was uncomfortable dealing with him.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »

There is self serve machine at the post office on Banpo-daero, just up the hill from Sarang Church.
I've never used it myself.