December 12, 2018, 01:20:48 PM

Author Topic: White Terror  (Read 5302 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: White Terror
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »
tribalism / nationalism / isolationism

That's a dishonest / ignorant caricature of Brexit if ever heard one.
I don't necessarily agree with Brexit, per se, but this is the go to argument.

"So, you hate immigrants?"

It's the same argument with "The Wall."

No, not wanting Pakistanis who want the UK to be like Pakistan is not racist. Wanting the UK to be "white" (this is not what I think, but it is what I hear) is not racist. I don't come to Korea and want them to kowtow to me. I love Itaewon, I love having some poutine options in Seoul, but I don't want Korea to create a "comfortable area" for me. I'm in Korea, I understand that most restos will be soondaeguk................ or samgyeop................or jjigae restos. Food and languages are the cornerstone of any society. I hear Korean and I see their food.

It's the same in the west. I don't care of there's 100 halal restaurants......... I don't care if you speak Farsi or arabic, or punjab.

But if there is an enclave that pressures that mindset............... That makes the majority feel like they can't do their thing............  Sorry, no. There will be a backlash. I've seen the videos of England. I've seen the videos. If there were people in Canada who wanted laws against our values, you bet your ass I would fight them.

The world is not a buffet of equal ideas. Some are shit.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2018, 10:03:56 PM »
What on earth does Brexit have to do with white supremacy, let alone fascism?

Ask eggieguffer the Daily Mail fanboy always crying about leftist conspiracies to take away his lager and white van. Engerlannnnnnd!

Cos only working class white Englishmen drink lager and drive white vans.

Actually Mayorhaggar is siding with the snobby left-leaning elite in the UK by this kind of comment, as summed up by Emily Thornberry's resignation back in 2014

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-30139832

Personally I prefer bitter to lager, don't drive ,didn't vote for Brexit and live abroad. I do read the Mail online,  though I read all the other online UK newspaper that are free.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:20:04 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »
Most of the opposition are ghastly but Thornberry is particularly egregious.

But yeah, CO2, if opposing a draconian, third-world mentality is racist, then I'm probably the world's biggest chauvinist.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2018, 06:06:11 AM »

No, not wanting Pakistanis who want the UK to be like Pakistan is not racist. Wanting the UK to be "white" (this is not what I think, but it is what I hear) is not racist. I don't come to Korea and want them to kowtow to me. I love Itaewon, I love having some poutine options in Seoul, but I don't want Korea to create a "comfortable area" for me. I'm in Korea, I understand that most restos will be soondaeguk................ or samgyeop................or jjigae restos. Food and languages are the cornerstone of any society. I hear Korean and I see their food.

It's the same in the west. I don't care of there's 100 halal restaurants......... I don't care if you speak Farsi or arabic, or punjab.

But if there is an enclave that pressures that mindset............... That makes the majority feel like they can't do their thing............  Sorry, no. There will be a backlash. I've seen the videos of England. I've seen the videos. If there were people in Canada who wanted laws against our values, you bet your ass I would fight them.

"Immigrants are taking our jobs," says Immigrant Who Took Someone's Job.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2018, 07:08:46 AM »
The argument against the wall is it's not going to work. Look at all the illegals working for trump. They find a way to get in.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2018, 08:04:10 AM »

If you're talking about English teachers, the Korean government decided they wanted to invite English teachers into their country, on specific visa conditions,  to fill positions Koreans weren't able to fill. They weren't told by bureaucrats in some Asian union that they had to let people in from all over the region, regardless of economic background or skills. Do you really need this explaining to you?

Once again you're sneering at something you imagine the guy who owns the white van might say when he realizes Polish van drivers are undercutting his business. It's not something the middle classes are affected by. Unless they need a cut price Polish au pair for the kids. Sure you can sneer at the white van guy and call him a racist, or you can try to explain to him why having free movement of people in Europe might be a net benefit for the UK, which is a valid argument.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:18:41 AM by eggieguffer »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2018, 10:02:33 AM »
So...no one here wants to debate Brexit in terms of a global economic focus vs. a Euro-Centric one and whether it's better to be lean and nimble vs. having the backing of some of the biggest economies in the world and whether the UK should focus on Europe's talented pool of labor vs. talented labor from around the globe?

I guess it really is about muh racism. :-[7

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2018, 10:25:24 AM »
So...no one here wants to debate Brexit in terms of a global economic focus vs. a Euro-Centric one and whether it's better to be lean and nimble vs. having the backing of some of the biggest economies in the world and whether the UK should focus on Europe's talented pool of labor vs. talented labor from around the globe?

I guess it really is about muh racism. :-[7

All of what you said matters not. It all depends on what kind of Brexit deal can be made with the EU.

So far, it ranges from bad, awful to complete misery.

Online Adel

• Expert Waygook
  • Pants down
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2018, 06:23:50 AM »
What's the point trying to be made here?

As an Australian I will be the first to say back in the day there was some amazingly racist actions taken by the government, like "2 wongs don't make a white" is my personal favourite...but that was back then. Today, sure there are still some racist people around but every country has people who are racist, doesn't make the ENTIRE country racist.

People are trying to give us a history lesson like we don't know?! Like whats your point? Do you want us to be like 'oh you're right we are scum, send us convicts to a new island'??!

All jokes aside, these historic references asserted by MayorHaggar appear to be counter arguments against the institutionalized racism happening in the United states at present to various minority groups. A kind of Trump-esque  deflection if you like.

For instance he brought up the late enfranchisement of indigenous Australians in the 1960's despite the fact it wasn't until 1965 that the Voting Rights Act was signed into law by President Lyndon B. to which sought to lift long-standing impediments against blacks that blocked them from voting in some federal, state and local elections.
 https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/06/lbj-signs-voting-rights-act-aug-6-1965-241256

Furthermore, attempts to disenfranchise Native Americans continue  in 2018  .
https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/how-north-dakotas-voter-id-law-will-disenfranchise-native-americans
 Similarly for African Americans https://theconversation.com/georgia-election-fight-shows-that-black-voter-suppression-a-southern-tradition-still-flourishes-105263
Hence, I contend that my original argument holds up pretty well. In terms of racism, taking the moral high ground is a challenge for folks who still see America as the 'light on the hill'. 
Ironically, I don't expect the likes of MayorHaggat and Martini to desist from becoming unusual bed fellows with this Pax Americana line of reasoning though. I would expect more copious waffle from Martini and emotive imagery from MayorHaggat  because reasoned logic based on contemporary evidence to support their case doesn't exist.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:14:33 AM by Adel »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »
The EU, by it's very nature and construction, is destined to fail. Better to leave now than later.

'. 
Ironically, I don't expect the likes of MayorHaggat and Martini to desist from becoming unusual bed fellows with this Pax Americana line of reasoning though. I would expect more copious waffle from Martini and emotive imagery from MayorHaggat  because reasoned logic based on contemporary evidence to support their case doesn't exist.

What is your point? That Australia is less racist than America? Sorry, but my experience has been that pretty much everyone around the world, when push comes to shove and you toss in unconscious bias, is racist to a similar degree and any jockeying for position is just switching chairs on the Titanic.

No one is saying America is perfect. Heck, MayorHaggar thinks a bunch of Americans are racists. All we're saying is "Get over yourselves. You aren't the pinnacles of tolerance and diversity you think you are."

Online Adel

• Expert Waygook
  • Pants down
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »
The EU, by it's very nature and construction, is destined to fail. Better to leave now than later.

'. 

What is your point? That Australia is less racist than America? Sorry, but my experience has been that pretty much everyone around the world, when push comes to shove and you toss in unconscious bias, is racist to a similar degree and any jockeying for position is just switching chairs on the Titanic.

No one is saying America is perfect. Heck, MayorHaggar thinks a bunch of Americans are racists. All we're saying is "Get over yourselves. You aren't the pinnacles of tolerance and diversity you think you are."
Perhaps you need to re-read this thread to see how this dispute began.
In your case the racism is institutionalised.  The Republican party is an American institution and it continues to suppress very basic democratic rights of minority groups.  Your country has a very flawed democracy and little moral authority so less finger pointing would be appreciated.
Do I need to make it any clearer?

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #231 on: December 09, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »

If you're talking about English teachers, the Korean government decided they wanted to invite English teachers into their country, on specific visa conditions,  to fill positions Koreans weren't able to fill. They weren't told by bureaucrats in some Asian union that they had to let people in from all over the region, regardless of economic background or skills. Do you really need this explaining to you?

Once again you're sneering at something you imagine the guy who owns the white van might say when he realizes Polish van drivers are undercutting his business. It's not something the middle classes are affected by. Unless they need a cut price Polish au pair for the kids. Sure you can sneer at the white van guy and call him a racist, or you can try to explain to him why having free movement of people in Europe might be a net benefit for the UK, which is a valid argument.

Unqualified Immigrant Who Took Someone's Job and Benefitted from Lax Immigration Policy Thinks He Has All the Answers About Immigrants Taking Our Jobs

I guess you and CO2 know all about being immigrants and taking people's jobs!

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »

'. 

In your case the racism is institutionalised.  The Republican party is an American institution and it continues to suppress very basic democratic rights of minority groups.  Your country has a very flawed democracy and little moral authority so less finger pointing would be appreciated.

I recently read this great book called Legless in Ginza by an Aussie professor who taught in Japan in the late 90s. He wrote about how all the Japanese people he met thought Australia was the most racist country on Earth because racist incidents there  kept making the Japanese news. Meanwhile the Japanese looked up to America. Also the author was very offended that the Japanese were obsessed with New Zealand.

Really interesting book and a lot of his criticisms of life in Japan are the same as modern complaints about Korea...endemic corruption, pollution, garbage everywhere, etc.

Maybe it would suprise Australians that they have a reputation around the world for racism but they do. Everyone here in New Zealand thinks they are a racist country, there's always a lot of news about Manus Island here and Aboriginal oppression.

Online Adel

• Expert Waygook
  • Pants down
« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »

'. 

I recently read this great book called Legless in Ginza by an Aussie professor who taught in Japan in the late 90s. He wrote about how all the Japanese people he met thought Australia was the most racist country on Earth because racist incidents there  kept making the Japanese news. Meanwhile the Japanese looked up to America. Also the author was very offended that the Japanese were obsessed with New Zealand.

Really interesting book and a lot of his criticisms of life in Japan are the same as modern complaints about Korea...endemic corruption, pollution, garbage everywhere, etc.

Maybe it would suprise Australians that they have a reputation around the world for racism but they do. Everyone  here in New Zealand  :laugh: thinks they are a racist country, there's always a lot of news about Manus Island here and Aboriginal oppression.
Not surprising at all, as suspected more emotive imagery based on opinion and personal anecdote, in this case from an estranged  expat probably unemployable in their country of origin. No empirical support or factual evidence of the type of institutionalized racism in places like the US mind you.

You and Martini make a great couple.

PS loved the "Everyone here in New Zealand thinks they are a racist country" line. Nearly fell off my chair. Maybe someone should tell that to the more than 15% of the Australian population and growing who are kiwis.  Perhaps they're annoyed its not as easy to get the dole and surf in Bondi as it used to be.   :laugh: 
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-26/new-zealanders-living-in-australia-see-citizenship-rights-eroded/8644890
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:25:14 AM by Adel »

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »
I backpacked around Australia for a couple of years and found people's attitudes towards none-whites pretty shocking at times, even by my politically incorrect standards. And I'm not just talking white Australians. Their racist reputation in the anglosphere is not undeserved. It's quaint, however, when compared with the rampant xenophobia that is absolutely rife outside of the West.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2018, 06:52:50 PM »
Unqualified Immigrant who Took Someone's Job and Benefitted from Lax Immigration Policy

Speak for yourself.

I came here to work for the British government anyway, so wrong on all accounts.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2018, 07:04:20 AM »

'. 

You do realize most of that voter stuff is ginned up nonsense, right?

It's more difficult to register and vote overseas than anything back home. It all comes down to how much you want it.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2018, 07:54:44 AM »
Hey guys, hope you had a great weekend. I spent most of it graphing, tabulating, researching and coming to some shocking conclusions. Here is a list of the most racist anglosphere countries. It may disgust and surprise some of you:

1. America/USA - No surprise. So racist. I  read a story about a prison guard who peed in a cup and then threw it on a Hispanic inmate. Unacceptable.

2. Australia - The lucky country. The land down under. Great Southern Land. Sadly full of boganish racists.

3. The UK - These Nancy boys try to pretend they aren't racist. But they are. Try to distract everyone with their terrible teeth and lack of personal hygiene, but believe me they are as racist as anyone else. Do better.

4. Ireland - Probably would be more racist if they could, but aren't actually that many poc there. But I've got my eye on you Ireland

5. South Africa - An "A" for effort. After a rough patch for most of the 20th century with all that 'apartheid' unpleasantness, South Africa is trying to right past wrongs.

6. Canada - Forgot about these guys. Get points for having some French guys knocking around (so intercultural) and allowing the Chinese to have their own city (Vancouver). Lose points for making foreverparadise work in a dangerous reservation school

7. New Zealand - Probably shouldn't be on this list. because in all my data processing and inforgraphing, I've found NZ is so not racist that they broke several of the equation regulators. And before someone posts that blackface pic form the local santa parade in Hawera, I'll just say that I called around, talked to a few people and I'm not even sure if that happened.

So there it is. I'm sorry if some of that hurts some of you, but numbers and facts don't lie. We live in a wacky world and some places (America/Australia) are more racist than others (NZ).

Have a great Monday, guys.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:57:19 AM by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »
Unqualified Immigrant who Took Someone's Job and Benefitted from Lax Immigration Policy

Speak for yourself.

I came here to work for the British government anyway, so wrong on all accounts.

So instead of hiring a qualified local Korean to do your job, the British government hired a racist, anti-immigrant Brexiteer to immigrate to South Korea, where he enjoyed South Korea's lax immigration rules for English teachers while complaining about immigrants taking peoples' jobs. You really are qualified to talk about this!

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »

7. New Zealand - Probably shouldn't be on this list. because in all my data processing and inforgraphing, I've found NZ is so not racist that they broke several of the equation regulators. And before someone posts that blackface pic form the local santa parade in Hawera, I'll just say that I called around, talked to a few people and I'm not even sure if that happened.

So there it is. I'm sorry if some of that hurts some of you, but numbers and facts don't lie. We live in a wacky world and some places (America/Australia) are more racist than others (NZ).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/better-business/67480416/sale-of-golliwog-dolls-at-pakn-save-an-error

At least people in NZ complain about this kind of thing, but if something like this happened in the US there would have been riots.

I've met quite a few sneaky Trump supporters here in New Zealand. They're usually weirdos who want to mock Trump for being a moron one second, then praise him for making racism mainstream again.