January 24, 2019, 01:52:37 AM

Author Topic: 2018 Midterm Elections Live Thread, With Poll (Non-Americans Welcome!)  (Read 2788 times)

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: 2018 Midterm Elections Live Thread, With Poll (Non-Americans Welcome!)
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
The "Blue Splash" is real. Senate looks a loss for the Dems.

Blue wave in Kansas, though.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
Looks like my projection of Dems performing as the polls indicated in the House and Republicans doing well in the Senate and therefore both sides claiming victory is going to come true.

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »
Yup! It went as most people expected. I was pretty doubtful that the Democrats would pickup enough seats for the Senate, but the House looked pretty good.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »
What a contrast: diverse wins in the House for the Dems but white [mostly men] Republicans win in the Senate.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »
I really wanted Beto to beat Ted Cruz. That would've been great.

Offline Andyman

• Super Waygook
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »
Yeah, it's been largely as predicted. No huge surprises, no real emotional punch (apart from the one that should land on this smug face).

Not that I feel any need to make excuses for the Senate Democrats, but it couldn't have been a more unfavorable situation going in. The 2020 election sees at least 20 Republican seats up for grabs, and 11 for the Democrats. They've got a much better chance to gain ground lost tonight.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 01:36:42 PM »
Not that I feel any need to make excuses for the Senate Democrats, but it couldn't have been a more unfavorable situation going in. The 2020 election sees at least 20 Republican seats up for grabs, and 11 for the Democrats. They've got a much better chance to gain ground lost tonight.

Plus, a few states passed ballot initiatives in support of non-partisan redistricting.

Online Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »
The Democrats have taken over the house.
This means they will make investigations that will
make Donald Trump look much worse than Richard
Nixon in the Watergate Scandal.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
The Democrats have taken over the house.
This means they will make investigations that will
make Donald Trump look much worse than Richard
Nixon in the Watergate Scandal.

I think the Dems in the House have to be careful. If they pull a move similar to the GOP with Clinton and do nothing but try to impeach and not pass any legislation, the swing districts they won may swing back. Those candidates ran on health care and "civility", not hard-left impeachment. If they spend the next two years talking about Russia, tax returns, and emoluments, expect Trump to do well in 2020 and the GOP to have a fighting chance at the House.

Offline Andyman

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »

Plus, a few states passed ballot initiatives in support of non-partisan redistricting.

Yes, that's massively important. And good to see that such initiatives have had widespread and bipartisan support in most states where they've been introduced. This, coupled with a couple of sensible federal and Supreme Court decisions, might hopefully shrink the country's disturbing democratic deficit.

Offline sh9wntm

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »
Ted Cruz is such a greasy guy. How are him and Beto the same age? Republicans need "cooler" candidates or it's eventually going to bite them in the butt.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
also a bbbbboatload of people in florida regained the right to vote so that's cool.

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »
Well the moderate Republican in my congressional district held on to her seat. She lost a lot of ground compared to 2016 though. She won the 2016 general election 61% to 38%, this time it was only 52% to 47%. The 10,000+ vote difference isn't going to close as they finish counting. It will be interesting to see how she reacts policy-wise as a result.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »
Well the moderate Republican in my congressional district held on to her seat. She lost a lot of ground compared to 2016 though. She won the 2016 general election 61% to 38%, this time it was only 52% to 47%. The 10,000+ vote difference isn't going to close as they finish counting. It will be interesting to see how she reacts policy-wise as a result.

If actions and statements today are any indication, both sides are preparing for the closest we've come to partisan warfare since 1860.

I think some Democrats are badly misreading the electorate as endorsing a push towards impeachment and constant RUSSIA!!!!! stuff. Hopefully Pelosi quashes them and focuses on getting health care and infrastructure bills passed and goes for a working relationship with Trump, possibly by massaging his ego.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
It could have been better for the Dems but it's a quite positive result in many ways and is certainly a big step towards more winning in 2020.

Happy days are here again!

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 11:15:16 AM »

If actions and statements today are any indication, both sides are preparing for the closest we've come to partisan warfare since 1860.

I think some Democrats are badly misreading the electorate as endorsing a push towards impeachment and constant RUSSIA!!!!! stuff. Hopefully Pelosi quashes them and focuses on getting health care and infrastructure bills passed and goes for a working relationship with Trump, possibly by massaging his ego.
Yeah, the parties really kicked it up a notch this year. Outside groups spent almost 3,000,000 in October on the Republican side and several hundred thousand on the Democrat side trying to keep/flip this one seat. Way more than they normally would.

I don't think that the Democrats will go overboard with the Russia stuff. Most of the Democrat leadership seems to think that as long as Mueller is allowed to finish his investigation, they will accept the results. And Pelosi is a hell of a vote-getter. She knows her party and knows how the work them well. She has also proven willing to work with Republicans on certain important issues.

To me the biggest shift in this whole thing will depend on how well the Trump White House pivots from one-party-rule politics to opposition-house politics. Beyond the investigation he will have to work with people he didn't need to before to get anything done. And he needs to accomplish something impactful before 2020. The pollsters had some interesting data about the tax cut. A good chunk of Americans don't feel it changed their life significantly. I think that is part of the reason they shifted from economy to immigration for the midterms, the other part being the fortuitous Honduran caravan timing.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
It could have been better for the Dems but it's a quite positive result in many ways and is certainly a big step towards more winning in 2020.

All the Dems need for 2020 is to win back MI, PA, and WI. All very doable. All 3 states have Democratic Governors. Suburban areas are moving towards the Democrats. Just they need a candidate with more charisma than Hillary.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 02:12:44 PM »
Ted Cruz is such a greasy guy. How are him and Beto the same age? Republicans need "cooler" candidates or it's eventually going to bite them in the butt.
It's pretty hard to be "cool" if your party's policy positions are:
-don't allow women control of their own bodies
-take away pre-existing conditions coverage for sick people
-steal from the poor to give to the rich
-do all in your power to prevent poor and black people from having good access to polling places
-take away marriage rights from gay people

Very not cool.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 02:14:37 PM »

All the Dems need for 2020 is to win back MI, PA, and WI. All very doable. All 3 states have Democratic Governors. Suburban areas are moving towards the Democrats. Just they need a candidate with more charisma than Hillary.

So your saying they should run a rock? ***

***Not to be confused with THE Rock

Offline sh9wntm

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:46 PM »
It's pretty hard to be "cool" if your party's policy positions are:
-don't allow women control of their own bodies
-take away pre-existing conditions coverage for sick people
-steal from the poor to give to the rich
-do all in your power to prevent poor and black people from having good access to polling places
-take away marriage rights from gay people

Very not cool.

Yup, not as cool as making vast generalizations about nuanced opinions.

Most republicans are not interested in interfering with gay Marriage. Yes the most traditional  do oppose it, not out of contempt, but because they think marriage is rooted in religion. A good number of these people would rather stateís or churches themselves decide on the legality of it, instead of the federal government.

Steal from the poor? Thatís an awfully strange conclusion considering most Republicans support small government and that other people are not entitled to the fruits of your labor. After seeing perfectly capable people in my family abuse the welfare system for hundreds of thousands of dollars, it really proved to me that in fact the rich and the taxpayers subsidize the poor to never leave poverty status.

Both parties are to blame for the current healthcare system. Costs are so high because itís heavily regulated and subsidized. The insurance companies and medical professionals are the ultimate beneficiaries. A deregulated  market or universal system are potently better than what we have.

And as for the abortion issue, you can say itís a womanís choice, I understand the stance, but to then request all taxpayers to subsidize abortions on demand, how does anyone with any nerve support that? Thatís so wrong. And at what point do we consider the fetus, a life worth protecting? Itís literally kicking at month 3.