December 13, 2018, 12:02:07 AM

Author Topic: In your opinion on what's a fair deal for salary, hours, experience, etc.  (Read 863 times)

Offline therealmo

• Newgookin
I'd just like to know what would be reasonable for a hagwon teacher to make/receive in terms of: salary, vacation days, teaching hours. Or what would you say is the norm?

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
Depends on if you have experience or not. 

New teacher; 2.2m
2~5 yrs; 2.5~2.6m
5 + yrs. 2.7 +

I couldn't careless about vacation.  Being as I am American, most if not all Americans get National Holidays and if you're lucky, 2 weeks, after 1 year of work.  So, I guess 10 days plus Nation Holidays. 

Hours, depending on pay.  If I'm only teaching 20 hours a week, then pay should be on a lower scale.  If I teach 30~35 a week, on the higher end. 

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook

New teacher; 2.2m
2~5 yrs; 2.5~2.6m
5 + yrs. 2.7 +

.. and if you have qualifications.

Government should really step in to regulate the industry and ensure fairness in hiring. Because Korea is subverting the entire ESL industry by hiring based on youth and appearances.
Catch my drift?

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
I think Korea should have a minimum esl wage of 2.5 million a month.  Still need more like 3 but got to compromise somewhere.  Maybe over in Japan since housing and flight not paid, they should have a minimum esl wage of 300,000 yen.  But, most unlikely.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
I think Korea should have a minimum esl wage of 2.5 million a month.  Still need more like 3 but got to compromise somewhere.  Maybe over in Japan since housing and flight not paid, they should have a minimum esl wage of 300,000 yen.  But, most unlikely.

I've not seen an ESL job in Japan offer more than 250,000yen per month, except for the higher up positions for a recruiting company / university position.
Hell, most will advertise their position as offering 250,000yen per month, but unless you have a few years teaching in Japan, you often get 180,000 - 220,000yen (before any taxes and other deductibles, and more closer to the 200,000yen mark). And in most public school positions (unless you got in with JET), you are going to lose a lot of your pay in August during the summer vacation. A lot of companies don't pay you for that 2 week summer break - some might offer pointless paperwork for you to do, so you can get your full wage.

But, it would be nice if there was a minimum in place :p

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook

I've not seen an ESL job in Japan offer more than 250,000yen per month, except for the higher up positions for a recruiting company / university position.
Hell, most will advertise their position as offering 250,000yen per month, but unless you have a few years teaching in Japan, you often get 180,000 - 220,000yen (before any taxes and other deductibles, and more closer to the 200,000yen mark). And in most public school positions (unless you got in with JET), you are going to lose a lot of your pay in August during the summer vacation. A lot of companies don't pay you for that 2 week summer break - some might offer pointless paperwork for you to do, so you can get your full wage.

But, it would be nice if there was a minimum in place :p

That part I didn't know.  I don't think you can afford to live in Japan on 250,00 let alone 220 or 180.  I wouldn't take the job.  But, I had seen some offering some flight reimbursement up to 700 bucks and 275,000 yen recently.  Maybe the job market is getting better in Japan.   http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=49227

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=49226

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=49138

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=49137

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook

Offline koreanlife

• Explorer

New teacher; 2.2m
2~5 yrs; 2.5~2.6m
5 + yrs. 2.7 +

I couldn't careless about vacation.  Being as I am American, most if not all Americans get National Holidays and if you're lucky, 2 weeks, after 1 year of work.  So, I guess 10 days plus Nation Holidays. 

Hours, depending on pay.  If I'm only teaching 20 hours a week, then pay should be on a lower scale.  If I teach 30~35 a week, on the higher end.

What are most of you who have been here a few years making?

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
I'm in my fifth year with EPIK so I'm on 2.5 + 0.4 (housing allowance) = 2.9.

Although I know my salary won't increase now, I'm happy for the time being.  I feel like this is a very good deal considering my qualifications and experience.

In order to earn money I'll have to put in a lot more effort (get more qualifications/learn Korean to get a better visa/teach privates) and I can't be bothered really.