December 18, 2018, 06:22:43 PM

Author Topic: Moving MOE or POE in EPIK  (Read 716 times)

Offline evans

• Explorer
Moving MOE or POE in EPIK
« on: October 31, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
I'm wanting to move within the EPIK program from a rural city in Jeollanamdo to either Seoul, Busan, Jeonju, or a larger city within the province.

Does anyone have any insights or tips for making a move like this within EPIK? I know Seoul and Busan placements are really difficult to get, but I'm hoping that perhaps with a couple years under my belt I might have a better chance at receiving one of those placements.

I enjoy my school but I'd like a change of scenery, and I'm not quite ready to leave Korea yet~

Online Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
Re: Moving MOE or POE in EPIK
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:49:37 AM »
If you want to move schools within a POE or MOE, you can do so by contacting your supervisor during the renewal process and discussing it with him / her.

But moving to a different POE / MOE requires you to apply through the EPIK program again as you did your first time. You need to fill in a new application form and collect references etc. Luckily, you can request official copies of your criminal background checks / apostilled degree certificates etc. from your current POE / MOE, so you don't have to get new sets of EVERY document.

As for Seoul and Busan, I think your best chance of getting placed there is by applying extremely early in the application process, but I think it may already be too late for that. Best of luck!
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline evans

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »
Great thanks for the input!

As for Seoul and Busan, I think your best chance of getting placed there is by applying extremely early in the application process, but I think it may already be too late for that. Best of luck!

I'm actually looking for the August 2019 intake, so I'll just do my best to get my application early for that intake. Thanks!

Offline debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 08:47:17 AM »
So if you are looking for Seoul and you are applying for August intake...it's very likely you can't. I tried and the August start date is different for Seoul...so it may clash with your current contract. Ask your coordinator if that's the case this year. What is does mean though is A LOT of people can more easily get Seoul placements if they're newbies or not currently in contract.

Busan...firstly you NEED at least 50 in class hours on your TEFL. Annoyingly it doesn't matter if you've got ten years EPIK experience...you still need that (blows my mind, frankly). If you have that..great...but Busan seems to be the most popular choice so it's by no means guaranteed...or you may get Busan..but a really rural area that the MOE covers.

During my intake a lot of us who changed got stuck at "problem" schools...since the MOE figured we'd "handle" them better than new teachers and not run away. That's probably not the case for most though.

I changed though and it was actually really easy to actually do. Request your documents back ASAP. My interview was basically just a formality.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:50:50 AM by debbiem89 »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »
Busan...firstly you NEED at least 50 in class hours on your TEFL. Annoyingly it doesn't matter if you've got ten years EPIK experience...you still need that (blows my mind, frankly)

It wouldn't if you'd observed experienced teachers making basic mistakes they'd never had pointed out and had been making for years. 

Offline debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:41:58 AM »
Busan...firstly you NEED at least 50 in class hours on your TEFL. Annoyingly it doesn't matter if you've got ten years EPIK experience...you still need that (blows my mind, frankly)

It wouldn't if you'd observed experienced teachers making basic mistakes they'd never had pointed out and had been making for years.

TEFL barely equips you for this job.

Makes more sense to employ someone who's worked in Korean public schools for ten years with great references than someone who has 50 in class hours but no classroom experience....
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:55:12 AM by debbiem89 »

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »

Makes more sense to employ someone who's worked in Korean public schools for ten years with great references than someone who has 50 in class hours but no classroom experience....

Maybe Busan can get people with both.

By the way TEFL is a general acronym for 'teaching English as a foreign language' and doesn't specifically refer to a qualification.

Some TEFL qualifications would be more useful than others for teaching in Korean public schools. The Trinity TYLEC which comprises 120 hours face to face and 6 hours of assessed teaching practice and is specifically tailored for young learners, would be very useful IMO.

The teacher with 10 years experience would probably be better but there's no guarantee. At least someone with the TYLEC has been assessed to a certain standard by external assessors. Mind you,  If you knew what you were doing you could pretty easily find out whether the teacher with experience was up to scratch or not in an interview.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:50:41 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »

By the way TEFL is a general acronym for 'teaching English as a foreign language' and doesn't specifically refer to a qualification.

Some TEFL qualifications would be more useful than others for teaching in Korean public schools. The Trinity TYLEC which comprises 120 hours face to face and 6 hours of assessed teaching practice and is specifically tailored for young learners, would be very useful IMO.

The teacher with 10 years experience would probably be better but there's no guarantee. At least someone with the TYLEC has been assessed to a certain standard by external assessors. Mind you,  If you knew what you were doing you could pretty easily find out whether the teacher with experience was up to scratch or not in an interview.

I know that and I mean it would make sense if they required a course at that level...

But they just require ANY bog standard TEFL with 50 in class hours, it doesn't have to be assessed in any way, shape or form.

The person who's been here ten years too would be better in a lot of other ways. They aren't going to do a runner when "unique situations" arise in their school for a start...

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »

I know that and I mean it would make sense if they required a course at that level...

But they just require ANY bog standard TEFL with 50 in class hours, it doesn't have to be assessed in any way, shape or form.

The person who's been here ten years too would be better in a lot of other ways. They aren't going to do a runner when "unique situations" arise in their school for a start...

Yeah, you're probably right.