December 18, 2018, 06:27:19 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Leaving my hagwon. Should I put it on my CV?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline tunafish91

• Explorer
Leaving my hagwon. Should I put it on my CV?
« on: October 31, 2018, 12:37:06 AM »
In the next couple of weeks i will be leaving my hagwon just under 3 months after arriving. Itís been a pretty terrible experience, employer breaking contract, making me work incredibly long hours yet my promised amount of teaching hours (I signed an hourly contract...more fool me) has not been met and Iíve actually been earning less than the minimum wage in this country. On top of that Iíve been yelled at, lied to, you name it. I even did more unpaid work just try and make a good impression but itís not worked.

I know people will say go to the labour board but I have also (as an added layer of fun) have to go through multiple operations due to my appendix actually exploding and I got a very serious infection. (My employer also pressured me to come in and work the day after leaving hospital and treated me like crap ever since when I refused because my health was more important). I have my final operation very soon and after that when I am cleared to fly I will be leaving.  going through the added stress of making a case with the labour board will be too much for me. After my op I just want to go home and recover over Christmas.

I say all this as I am very torn whether to put this job on my CV. On one hand I think it would be worth mentioning i have a little bit of teaching experience in Korea, I want to try Korea again but I donít know if leaving my job early will hamstring me with future employers despite these circumstances giving me more than enough reasons to quit. Is there a good way to explain my reasons for quitting?

On the other hand I havenít been here that long at all in the grand scheme of things. Would it be more prudent to just not mention the entire thing whatsoever?

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
Re: Leaving my hagwon. Should I put it on my CV?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 07:19:18 AM »
No.

Online ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »
Sorry to hear about your situation.

It's not a good idea to put this on your resume. The decent jobs out there will contact your previous employers.

Online some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 12:45:10 AM »
I believe the labor board can do nothing until you've completed at least 6 months,
correct me if I am wrong.

Better to just move on and try to forget about it.

Online fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »
 I have a very interesting story that is related to your situation. When I first came to Korea I worked at a hogwan. Things did not work out so I left after two months. I went home for a while and decided I wanted to give Korea a second chance. I applied to the EPIK program through the Korean Embassy in Toronto. At first I was super paranoid because my initial hogwan job visa stamp was issued at the Korean Embassy in Toronto. I thought they would be able to tell that I had already lost a job in Korea at a hogwan. Back then the EPIK application was nothing like what is today. In fact it was super easy to fill in. The whole time I was going through the whole process I was worried they would find out. Then the day came for me to go to the Embassy and sign the contract. I don't think i slept that night. I still had the same passport that I had used to get the initial visa stamp from the hogwan. During the first stage of the process we all sat in a room where all our questions were answered by several workers at the embassy. When we signed the contract they asked us to go back in the front area. They had at least ten passports to stamp. I don't think they even noticed the previous stamp and even if they did they didn't care.
Bottom line- Never willingly give out information that will hurt your application chance.

Offline tunafish91

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
I have a very interesting story that is related to your situation. When I first came to Korea I worked at a hogwan. Things did not work out so I left after two months. I went home for a while and decided I wanted to give Korea a second chance. I applied to the EPIK program through the Korean Embassy in Toronto. At first I was super paranoid because my initial hogwan job visa stamp was issued at the Korean Embassy in Toronto. I thought they would be able to tell that I had already lost a job in Korea at a hogwan. Back then the EPIK application was nothing like what is today. In fact it was super easy to fill in. The whole time I was going through the whole process I was worried they would find out. Then the day came for me to go to the Embassy and sign the contract. I don't think i slept that night. I still had the same passport that I had used to get the initial visa stamp from the hogwan. During the first stage of the process we all sat in a room where all our questions were answered by several workers at the embassy. When we signed the contract they asked us to go back in the front area. They had at least ten passports to stamp. I don't think they even noticed the previous stamp and even if they did they didn't care.
Bottom line- Never willingly give out information that will hurt your application chance.

Yeah I have those worries that they might find out somehow. But I guess itís not worth losing sleep over!

Thanks for all the advice everybody, guess itís not going on the cv

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
Its pretty hard to get a good reference from a previous good Korean employer, let alone a bad one, so don't bother.

Iíve actually been earning less than the minimum wage in this country. 

Go on. How much were you paid?

A Labour board case is not that stressful but logistically its annoying because you will have all the expenses of waiting around and having to be in country. Foreigners always massively disadvantaged and bullied in this country.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:52:35 PM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »
Actually if a perspective school REALLY wanted to do some digging on you all they have to do is call up the Ministry of Education or Immigration to see your employment history.  They will be given a detailed list of every job you held in Korea.  Including name of the school, location, phone number, and duration of time you were with the school.  However, most jobs don't tend to do this.  They only do this if they are really suspicious about you.  Actually in my case, I was told by friends not to put down any jobs that would have an ax to grind with me.  There was one hakwon I worked for that told a Korean friend of mine that if they were called in regards to me that they would give me a bad reference.  And it was only because I didn't stay around on my last day to formally say good bye to everyone.   :rolleyes:  Thankfully in my case I had current references my prospective school was able to call that told them how much of a responsible dedicated teacher I was.  Plus, being as most public schools here in Korea know how difficult it is to deal with hakwon politics a lot of times they understand why people don't want to put down hakwons as references.   Best of luck OP.  I wouldn't put down this POS hakwon and I doubt any prospective new employer in Korea is going to dig that deep to call a MOE or immigration.  80% of the time they really don't do that. 

Offline tunafish91

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 02:02:54 PM »
Its pretty hard to get a good reference from a previous good Korean employer, let alone a bad one, so don't bother.

Iíve actually been earning less than the minimum wage in this country. 

Go on. How much were you paid?

A Labour board case is not that stressful but logistically its annoying because you will have all the expenses of waiting around and having to be in country. Foreigners always massively disadvantaged and bullied in this country.

Well, im hourly and its meant to be 22,000 won an hour but im promised MINIMUM 20 teaching hours a week, but had people telling me I'd be averaging 25 hours a week anyway. Which sounded alright. Last month, because I was in hospital for over a week, I earned 570,000 won before deductions. This month I'm set to earn about 1.2 million won I believe (maybe less). I've been given around 10-13 teaching hours a week. With no good reasons as to why my minimum hours aren't being met. So it's sucked for sure... however Im still expected to be in work doing something so Im in all day maybe only getting paid for 1.5-3 of those hours.

Honestly I wish I was making this stuff up, I really do. But I think Im the only TEFL teacher here in korea actually LOSING money being at their job. I found out other hourly teachers at this school have had similar issues and also left, the salaried teachers are just treated like slaves and are in for hours and hours and hours so despite the fact they're earning 2.1 mil a month, they are pushed to breaking point. Plus they have to work on a saturday once a month too.

In short this place is hell because of the owner. I've been told she is notorious for arbitrarily pushing people out of this school. She's even rang me up in the morning before work shrieking at me down the phone demanding I come into work so she could yell at me more for a problem that wasn't my fault and I fixed anyway within 10 minutes...didn't get an apology (I wont go into details on what the issue was because honestly thats a whole other wall of text)

Thing is I don't want to stay around, I just want to get out! I'll be too exhausted after my 2nd operation.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:19:43 PM by tunafish91 »

Offline tunafish91

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
Actually if a perspective school REALLY wanted to do some digging on you all they have to do is call up the Ministry of Education or Immigration to see your employment history.  They will be given a detailed list of every job you held in Korea.  Including name of the school, location, phone number, and duration of time you were with the school.  However, most jobs don't tend to do this.  They only do this if they are really suspicious about you.  Actually in my case, I was told by friends not to put down any jobs that would have an ax to grind with me.  There was one hakwon I worked for that told a Korean friend of mine that if they were called in regards to me that they would give me a bad reference.  And it was only because I didn't stay around on my last day to formally say good bye to everyone.   :rolleyes:  Thankfully in my case I had current references my prospective school was able to call that told them how much of a responsible dedicated teacher I was.  Plus, being as most public schools here in Korea know how difficult it is to deal with hakwon politics a lot of times they understand why people don't want to put down hakwons as references.   Best of luck OP.  I wouldn't put down this POS hakwon and I doubt any prospective new employer in Korea is going to dig that deep to call a MOE or immigration.  80% of the time they really don't do that.

Honestly some of the stuff that has happened to me at my school is so moronic you'd think I was telling tales and I honestly wish I was. If a school does that much digging on me and can't understand why I wanted to leave then they probably aren't a school I want to be with anyway!

Thanks for the advice.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
Yeah just quit and don't worry about future jobs.  If you work with a really awesome recruiter or if you go through EPIK just be really honest and frank with the EPIK coordinator about your situation.   They know how terrible hakwons can be here.  They will give you the best advice on how to handle this situation.  I was up front with my first public school recruiter (not EPIK another independent recruiter) and told him my horror story and he just told me not to worry about it because I got a two good references from the hakwon I was ready to leave from and that the public school I was going to work for would only talk directly to those current references.  He basically said put down the Hellwon I worked for but not the phone number and to not worry, my new co-teacher and vp would only talk to my most current references.  That's how it works out most times here in Korea.  And think about it most people don't want to be on the phone with immigration asking for paper work on you anyways.  So just be up front with any future recruiters or EPIK coordinators you might work with and they will help you through it.   :wink: