February 16, 2019, 02:53:56 PM

Author Topic: Hot water for a minute, then cold.  (Read 730 times)

Offline rwest.studios

• Newgookin
Hot water for a minute, then cold.
« on: October 28, 2018, 08:48:04 AM »
Hey,

I've been trying to get my friends hot water to work but we're having zero luck with her system. She hasn't had hot water for 4 months now and no one is coming to look at her system. We can get the hot water going for about 30 or so seconds then its freezing again. We've even waited a good 20 minutes to give her system time to heat up.
Hoping it's just error on our part, and nothing serious. 

I've attached a picture of her system. Any ideas?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Hot water for a minute, then cold.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:00:12 PM »
why not get the landlord to deal with it?

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
Perhaps you tried it that way but you should press the third button on the left, from the top. The one that says 온수전용. The third LED from the top should light up (same thing is written under as the button). With the up and down arrows you can adjust the temperature you would like the water to be heated. Between 45 and 80 Celsius degrees. In the fall and especially winter you should turn it higher because the incoming water is very cold.

You should get hot water after this. If you tried this but still no hot water, you should call the landlord because something is wrong.

Offline mjc8500

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 01:31:45 AM »
You should get hot water after this. If you tried this but still no hot water, you should call the landlord because something is wrong.

One winter in Seoul, a part in my water heater just gave out and had to be replaced. That could be the case here as well. If your friend, OP, hasn't had water for 4 months, something is likely wrong. Even just pushing buttons randomly should get hot water eventually in a shorter time span.

Offline lynnea.lenamond

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »
I had the same problem for two months when I first arrived to Korea! Taking 2 months of cold showers in February is less than ideal! I couldn't get anyone to fix it in forever because they would feel the hot water for a sec, and then leave before it got cold. Finally, after begging and getting the landlord to wait with his hand under water, he understood the problem.

My solution:

They said the cold water pressure was too high. It wasn't that the system wasn't heating water, but that more cold water was being pushed through. Once we figured that out, he adjusted it and it was an easy fix.

Don't know if that would fix yours, but that's my two cents. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:52:24 AM by lynnea.lenamond »

Offline belocean11

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »
When I moved two years ago, I had the same problem in my new place. I tried everything and nothing worked. It finally took my landlord to come and explain that a lot of older systems in Korea won't put out hot water when the faucet is on all the way. So in order for me to get hot water I can only turn my faucet on 1/2 way to start and then 3/4 of the way about 5 minutes into showering. If that doesn't work, I would definitely have someone come look at it.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
I had the same problem for two months when I first arrived to Korea! Taking 2 months of cold showers in February is less than ideal! I couldn't get anyone to fix it in forever because they would feel the hot water for a sec, and then leave before it got cold. Finally, after begging and getting the landlord to wait with his hand under water, he understood the problem.

My solution:

They said the cold water pressure was too high. It wasn't that the system wasn't heating water, but that more cold water was being pushed through. Once we figured that out, he adjusted it and it was an easy fix.

Don't know if that would fix yours, but that's my two sense. Good luck!
Totally this.
Last year I installed a new water-saver showerhead. Unfortunately, this caused pressure issues that prevented hot water from leaving the heater, leaving my showers icy cold.
I finally got around to putting in a one way valve on the cold water line, and suddenly everything's just peachy again.

It might be an issue with your heater, but on the other hand, it could be a super-cheap 5 minute fix. Call up that land lord!!