November 18, 2018, 10:39:20 AM

Author Topic: Other Foreigners that look guilty af when they walk by you  (Read 4293 times)

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
Re: Other Foreigners that look guilty af when they walk by you
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
A lot of interesting faces on here.  8)

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
Eggieguffer, if you consider making eye-contact with somebody the same as "hanging out", then I worry for you.  :wink:

Obviously I don't, I said the kind of person who refuses to make contact with foreigners in unusual situations is probably also the kind of foreigner who thinks there's no point in coming to Korea and hanging out with other foreigners. It's not that difficult a concept is it?
Just some hyperbole in the service of humour, Eggieguffer. I get that you're not a sociopath.
...I would've been less certain if it had been Pecan making that same comment, bless his absent heart.  :smiley:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »
A lot of your social options depends on the job you get to begin with.

Yes, I was going to point this out as well. If you work at a large adult hagwan it's pretty easy to make friends/hook up with foreigners and Koreans.

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
You guys ever experience this?

come on buddy, I don't bite. On several occassions brotha be lookin' at his phone or lookin' stoned af or guilty or something. This sh*t be weird af. Ya'll niqqaz experience this before????  :police:
I thought you were a gyopo? They don't know you are a foreigner. They probably just think you are some weird Korean grinning at them.

ESLTurtle is a parody account.
but i thought parody required wit or humour

Hey Mr. tough guy.  8)

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »

come on buddy, I don't bite. On several occassions brotha be lookin' at his phone or lookin' stoned af or guilty or something. This sh*t be weird af. Ya'll niqqaz experience this before????  :police:
I thought you were a gyopo? They don't know you are a foreigner. They probably just think you are some weird Korean grinning at them.

And your name reminds me of a horrible cocktail I drank last weekend at the Grand Hamilton Hotel.   :P

Offline MoneyMike

• Super Waygook
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
There are two other foreigners I see in my neighborhood regularly. One is a guy I walk past most Monday and Tuesday mornings. We give each other a nod or say hey and carry on.

The other is a girl I see sometimes walking home. She'll notice me from half a block away and immediately put her head down to avoid any eye contact. It's just weird. I get that you might not want to say hello to a random stranger you're gonna see once and then never again, but we see each other like twice a week lady. Stop awkwarding out my walk home. Shit, even just staring straight ahead rather than hanging your head would be fine. Cmon now, we're supposed to be adults here.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »

Exactly. If I wouldn't talk to you in the States, I'm not going to talk to you in Korea because you're a lonely foreigner and "we're in this together".

I've always found this analogy to be groundless and idiotic.   This is not back home so it's pretty much out the window how you would behave back home.  PiggyDee or sh9wntm, are you on a website called "peopleinmytown" back home where you just chat about random things?  No, you're not.  So, by your logic you shouldn't be on here.  But you are.  Why?  because you're in a minority here and like vast examples of diasporas and immigrants do around the world, you find something in common with people from your own culture. 

When you're back home do you rail against the Chinatowns or Koreatowns and all the communities that have sprung up where like cultures congregate?  Of course not.  If you're in Seoul foreigners are plentiful so saying hi to people on the streets would be odd.  But if I'm on some hike in a mountain or in the dairy aisle at my local EMart and I see someone who looks western I will acknowledge them. Maybe strike up a conversation.  I spend most of my time with Koreans, and I need some western friends to offset this.  The only way to meet them is to be proactive.  I don't work with any. It's the people that obviously avoid eye contact that are likely to be the neighbourhood social outcast or Koreaboo in my experience here.

It sounds like you've taken what I said out of context, and mixed in a lot of personal frustration. I never wrote, ignore all foreigners and be a dick. It's important to be friendly. But I find it uncomfortable when there's an entitlement to talk to or hangout with someone just because you're both in the "foreigner club". If I pass a foreigner on the street, I'm really not interested in greeting them like we're the last 2 white people on Earth.

I kept to the context completely.  That's why  I never wrote talk like you're the last two white people on earth.  It's amazing that you were able to extrapolate "acknowledge them, maybe strike up a conversation" as greeting them like we're the last two white people on earth.  Of course, if you had actually not taken what I'd said out of context you wouldn't have had a point. 

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »

And your name reminds me of a horrible cocktail I drank last weekend at the Grand Hamilton Hotel.   :P

ESL Turtle, you're going to have to work harder at making your online persona believable by getting the name of the hotel correct.  It makes me think you've been to neither the Hamilton Hotel (no loss) or the Grand Hyatt Seoul (had three sliders so small they looked like novelty erasers for only 27, 000 won last week/big loss.)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2018, 02:49:55 PM »
If I'm walking, and a foreigner wants to talk to me, it better be for like directions or something. There's no inherent desire to make friends just because we both share that one thing in common.

To add to this. I had a guy come up to me and say: Hey I am foreigner and you are a foreigner wanna F*&%?
Why do you think that would make me want to have sex with you?
Him: Well you aren't going to have sex with the locals and when will you see a foreigner again?
This was just a random guy on the street. Now I don't talk to other foreigners. For me it is about bad experiences.

Jesus I know what you mean!  They are under the assumption that we default wouldn't fancy a local.  And even if that was the case  F**K OFF you don't know me like that to alreay know what I like!!!  I would have gave that turd an ear full!!!

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »
The "Never hang out with foreigners" crowd is just as insufferable as the "Only hang out with foreigners crowd."

Same with hang out spots. Sometimes it's good to go to Itaewon or Hongdae and foreigner bars and clubs. Other times it's more enjoyable to got Korean spots. Heck sometimes, it's good to go to foreigner spots with Koreans and Korean spots with foreigners.

It's good to strike a good balance.  Have equal parts foreign friends and equal parts Koreans.  Works for me. 

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2018, 03:03:37 PM »
There are two other foreigners I see in my neighborhood regularly. One is a guy I walk past most Monday and Tuesday mornings. We give each other a nod or say hey and carry on.

The other is a girl I see sometimes walking home. She'll notice me from half a block away and immediately put her head down to avoid any eye contact. It's just weird. I get that you might not want to say hello to a random stranger you're gonna see once and then never again, but we see each other like twice a week lady. Stop awkwarding out my walk home. Shit, even just staring straight ahead rather than hanging your head would be fine. Cmon now, we're supposed to be adults here.

She's afraid of where a conversation would lead to.

I used to completely ignore a lot of Koreans (especially Korean males) for the same reason, because its not an equal footing and there are numerous variables involved, none of them within my control. I didn't want to have any percieved slight mushrooming into a blood money situation, neither do I want strangers pitching up at my door thinking they've made a new friend.

However over time I realized it doesn't have to go anywhere, you have a lot more control over situations than you realize, and a simple nod or small talk improves the day rather than detracts from it.
Catch my drift?

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2018, 03:26:31 PM »
There's a guy in a town I used to live in who took this to the extreme. He would always carry an umbrella around with him regardless of the weather, so that he could use it as a shield to 'hide' himself from us other teachers in town. He would see me walking up the street to our building (we all lived in the same block of flats) and then open up his umbrella and literally point it towards me as we walked past each other (we were so close I could reach out and touch him ... but because of his umbrella he turned invisible). There were 3-4 other foreigners in town who had similar experiences, really bizarre  :undecided: In situations where he was forced to meet us (EPIK meetings and whatnot) he was pretty much fine. Wonder what the deal was?
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »
There's a guy in a town I used to live in who took this to the extreme. He would always carry an umbrella around with him regardless of the weather, so that he could use it as a shield to 'hide' himself from us other teachers in town. He would see me walking up the street to our building (we all lived in the same block of flats) and then open up his umbrella and literally point it towards me as we walked past each other (we were so close I could reach out and touch him ... but because of his umbrella he turned invisible). There were 3-4 other foreigners in town who had similar experiences, really bizarre  :undecided: In situations where he was forced to meet us (EPIK meetings and whatnot) he was pretty much fine. Wonder what the deal was?

This is hilarious and soooooo weirdd.............. Like How? Just avert your gays, it draws way more attention to yourself, Jesus.

Speaking of, great cover. This vid is NSFW btw

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »

ESL Turtle, you're going to have to work harder at making your online persona believable by getting the name of the hotel correct.  It makes me think you've been to neither the Hamilton Hotel (no loss) or the Grand Hyatt Seoul (had three sliders so small they looked like novelty erasers for only 27, 000 won last week/big loss.)

Yes, Mr. Nut.  8)

또라이들 왜케 많지? ㅇ.ㅇ 이해안가네..

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2018, 03:42:21 PM »

Yes, Mr. Nut.  8)

또라이들 왜케 많지? ㅇ.ㅇ 이해안가네..

Good question.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2018, 03:46:50 PM »

This is hilarious and soooooo weirdd.............. Like How? Just avert your gays, it draws way more attention to yourself, Jesus.

Interesting typo.

Offline fatima94

• Newgookin
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
I genuinely just want to make more friends since moving here recently and when I hear all this stuff, it diminishes my desire to make friends with stuck up foreigners here. I would prefer to make friends with locals more because they are obviously more genuine and wont just automatically hate me because I'm another "foreigner".

Offline KoreaBoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »
I speak with people every day.

Some I want to talk with, others I choose not to.

To state that any person on this site would avoid speaking with someone because of their ethnicity is racist.

If you believe this is the case, it is most likely because this is how you view the world & act.

Hence you = racist + looking for validation of your views.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »

To state that any person on this site would avoid speaking with someone because of their ethnicity is racist.

That's the hypocrisy that isn't being addressed here.  People that find it acceptable to pass the time during the day by chatting with strangers are against passing the time in real life by communicating with strangers.  To avoid the crux of the argument, they inflate saying hello to someone to being their shoulder to cry on to add credence to their position that saying hello to foreigners on the street is weird. 

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
I've actually had quite a few conversations with people about how strange many of the expats in Korea seem to be, at least in the way many of them choose to interact with others. No one's expecting anyone to be anyone's best friend, but a lot of common social norms among western expats seem to die in Korea, and we're not talking just about niceties. There's almost a certain element of mistrust and veiled combativeness here. I even find that there are far more cliques in the expat community in Korea than I've personally experienced in other places.

Anyone else have that "expats in Korea are weird" conversation? How common is that? I never bring it up, but the subject inevitably pops up with people I interact regularly enough with here and there, both those who stay and those who leave.

Well it didn't take long for another thread to attract the "how hot am I" and "I've had sex before" crowd.

Chinguetti incoming in 3,2,1...

Damn, I missed my cue.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:35:30 AM by Chinguetti »