February 17, 2019, 04:35:55 PM

Author Topic: Other Foreigners that look guilty af when they walk by you  (Read 7030 times)

Offline ESLTurtle

• Super Waygook
Other Foreigners that look guilty af when they walk by you
« on: October 18, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
You guys ever experience this?

come on buddy, I don't bite. On several occassions brotha be lookin' at his phone or lookin' stoned af or guilty or something. This sh*t be weird af. Ya'll experience this before????  :police:

Edited for offensive language.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:36:43 AM by gagevt »

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
Re: Other Foreigners that look guilty af when they walk by you
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 07:17:25 PM »
It's because they don't want to get involved in a conversation with a random person who acts like their best friend.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »
It's because they don't want to get involved in a conversation with a random person who acts like their best friend.
It's a learned behaviour.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »
Because some of us don't like to say hi to strangers.  Why is this even a topic.  And plus maybe we don't like you  :rolleyes:  I didn't say hi to every random when I lived in America not going to start saying hi to randos here in Korea.  Case closed.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 07:18:58 AM »

come on buddy, I don't bite. On several occassions brotha be lookin' at his phone or lookin' stoned af or guilty or something. This sh*t be weird af. Ya'll niqqaz experience this before????  :police:
I thought you were a gyopo? They don't know you are a foreigner. They probably just think you are some weird Korean grinning at them.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »
They probably just think you are some weird Korean grinning at them.

Count me as "not a fan" of the weird Korean (or any stranger) grin.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
If your posts on here are anything like you are IRL, they all had lucky escapes.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 07:35:21 AM »

come on buddy, I don't bite. On several occassions brotha be lookin' at his phone or lookin' stoned af or guilty or something. This sh*t be weird af. Ya'll niqqaz experience this before????  :police:
I thought you were a gyopo? They don't know you are a foreigner. They probably just think you are some weird Korean grinning at them.

ESLTurtle is a parody account.

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
If I'm walking, and a foreigner wants to talk to me, it better be for like directions or something. There's no inherent desire to make friends just because we both share that one thing in common.
The World Ends With You

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »

ESLTurtle is a parody account.
No shit.
But the character he has created is a rich gyopo from LA who works in a corporate job and lives in a Gangnam penthouse. So I'm going need him to be consistent with his character.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »
Other Foreigners that look guilty af when they walk by you.
This sh*t be weird af. Ya'll experience this before????  :police:

We all have secrets, ESLTurtle. Dark secrets.

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
I think it depends where you are from, to be honest. I'm from the South and smiling and nodding or saying hi to everyone you meet is a pretty common practice. That's just one small group of people, though. I've tried to be friendly, but 9 of 10 the other Westerners I see on the street just look through you like a ghost unless they have a question. I don't bother much anymore. Most people are probably the same. Most cities are like that.

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 08:31:52 AM »
Yeah I've noticed that and I probably do it too.

I think it boils down to this..."Look, we both know why and how we ended up here, so just keep your head down and carry on walking"  :laugh: 

I don't want to acknowledge it lol

Offline AnnaW

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 08:32:24 AM »
If I'm walking, and a foreigner wants to talk to me, it better be for like directions or something. There's no inherent desire to make friends just because we both share that one thing in common.

To add to this. I had a guy come up to me and say: Hey I am foreigner and you are a foreigner wanna F*&%?
Why do you think that would make me want to have sex with you?
Him: Well you aren't going to have sex with the locals and when will you see a foreigner again?
This was just a random guy on the street. Now I don't talk to other foreigners. For me it is about bad experiences.

Offline sbk

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »
It sometimes feels like a token gesture to automatically talk to the other foreigner just because you are on the same train or bus. I am not that good at approaching people and saying hi. If people say hi to me i usually make an effort to be friendly but if its up to me to say hi first to a stranger then i usually struggle. I need to work on that but at the same time i don't automatically feel obligated to acknowledge an other foreigner.

I also need to work on not being grumpy when commuting. I am trying. Sometimes i just get annoyed at people's pushing and shoving and not respecting my personal space - not to mention being tired or hungry. 

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 08:38:35 AM »
Now I don't talk to other foreigners. For me it is about bad experiences.

Way to go. Just write off all but 1% of the world's population because of one jerk.

Offline AnnaW

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »

Way to go. Just write off all but 1% of the world's population because of one jerk.

To be fair it has happened multiple times. This was just only example that was that blatant. Most are just like let's have dinner then go back to your/my place. If someone says hi and just talks that is fine. It is the assumption that I am going to be easy. (I'm an American and we seem to have a bad reputation as being super easy)

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 08:53:14 AM »

To be fair it has happened multiple times. This was just only example that was that blatant. Most are just like let's have dinner then go back to your/my place. If someone says hi and just talks that is fine. It is the assumption that I am going to be easy. (I'm an American and we seem to have a bad reputation as being super easy)

Weird, I thought the whole point about Western jerks coming to Asia was that the women are supposed to be easier here. Having said that, the only one night stands I've had while abroad have been with Western women.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:59:19 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline sh9wntm

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »

Exactly. If I wouldn't talk to you in the States, I'm not going to talk to you in Korea because you're a lonely foreigner and "we're in this together".

Offline stevebarker

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
I think turtle has a point. I tried to help some tourists who looked lost but they said it was all good... then they walked straight to a local and start asking them for directions haha. Some do have sticks up their asses.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:31:58 AM by stevebarker »