November 19, 2018, 07:27:41 PM

Author Topic: Paying for teacher outings?  (Read 1626 times)

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Paying for teacher outings?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 10:32:40 AM »
According to my "CoT," this made some of the staff think I was rude and stuck-up. 
yeah, but it goes both ways. i always found it rude when everyone i was sat with ignored me and spoke only in korean, even though they could all speak perfect english

i eventually stopped caring what the other teachers thought of me, stopped going to these lame outings/ "social" events, just concentrated on doing my job, and had a much more pleasant time

Offline Newsie

• Newgookin
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 02:02:28 PM »
I definitely lucked out it seems. I like the teacher outings. The teachers will try to talk to me even if their English level is low. They, shockingly, show interest in how I'm getting on in Korea.

That being said, my first school didn't even ask me to pay the outing fee. Nor did I know when it was happening. They would all just leave and I would be left alone with one of the guys from the administration office.

Offline debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 09:07:50 AM »
I definitely lucked out it seems. I like the teacher outings. The teachers will try to talk to me even if their English level is low. They, shockingly, show interest in how I'm getting on in Korea.

That being said, my first school didn't even ask me to pay the outing fee. Nor did I know when it was happening. They would all just leave and I would be left alone with one of the guys from the administration office.

That happened tp me at my first school too...literally any school event they'd just leave the English office and I'd be sat there like a lemon.

Ahh one of my schools do try and talk to me like that too....but man even that gets old. There's only so much of the EXACT same small talk you can take.

"Is this spicy?"
"You can drink soju? oooohwahhh"
"Tell me what you LOVE about Korea so I can bask in it" (or something along those lines)

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 09:22:53 AM »
I personally feel like only suckers (at least, as far as native teachers go) sign up for these things. First of all, yes, they use the money collected for outings, dinners, and then for gifts for things like weddings, funerals, baby showers, etc. That said, as a foreign teacher, you don't count in that last regard. If you get married, have a parent or spouse die, or have a baby... they aren't going to give you squat out of that fund. At best, they might pass a hat around the office and see who wants to donate. But you aren't getting that social club money.
I think that as with most things, your mileage may vary depending on your school. I got boat loads of moolah from my school when I got married, in addition to what my coworkers brought individually (despite having been asked not to bring cash).
   Also, they helped out with some hefty hospital bills a couple years back, which was really appreciated.

I mean, if you wanna kid yourself and tell yourself that you're suddenly closer with the people you sat around and ate with in silence (unless you're pretty good at speaking Korean), then by all means... I personally found that I could skip these things, save my money, and instead I'd buy them shareable gifts when I went on vacations, or I'd bring back special gifts for co-teachers, principal, and VP... sometimes I'd bring treats to the office to share with people. That seemed to do just as much to bring us closer together, and it didn't involve overspending for awkward dinners.
If you don't end up taking part in hweshiks, this is a pretty good alternative. Drop a few man-won every month or two, and everybody will love you, even if you blow them off every time there's an event. It's the appearance of caring that's appreciated, I think.
   I don't go to school outings very often since I changed schools, but at my last school, I really did enjoy them (they definitely went out of their way to keep me included). To each their own, I guess.  :undecided:

i also got a bunch of money for when i got married.  so i guess it's pretty much a school by school case since sojuadventurer is saying you're not going to get any of that money.  the hweshik is pretty much there to fund these things and other events as well as dinners and outings.  and like i mentioned before, whatever is not being used is giving back at the end of the school year.  i usually ended up with between 80-120 back each year.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 05:11:16 AM »
I mean, if you wanna kid yourself and tell yourself that you're suddenly closer with the people you sat around and ate with in silence (unless you're pretty good at speaking Korean), then by all means...

The only possible reason to go on these outings is if you are mad about learning Korean and keen to sieze any opportunity to practice speaking.
Catch my drift?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »
Average whiner: "Do we have to pay for these things? I hate them and they're boring" also "Why does everyone at work not talk to me and fill me in on things and treat me like an outsider?

It's fine not to pay, but understand that every choice you make has an impact.

Offline kiwikimchi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
Mine was 30k per month for the social fee=food after volleyball and teachers dinners.

I didn't want to partake in either of them. I told them so and that was fine.
No negative repercussions, was well liked by my school and was rehired for 4 years.

NETs in the public school system need to learn to say "No" to things that don't want to do.
Don't be yes men

Offline Hodor314

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
In the OP's situation, paying for teacher outings would be the norm and a good idea if building colleague-rapport is a priority.  Why?  Simple.  It's a public school.  Public school teachers pay for a lot of things out of pocket. Bless 'em.

Now, mandatory company outings are another story.  In the real world, employees would never pay.  At a real Korean company, the company card would always be used.  Your sh*tty hagwon on the other hand, well, you may be in for a surprise at the end of the night come check time.