February 17, 2019, 03:35:56 PM

Author Topic: Korean musicians that've made a lasting impression on you?  (Read 377 times)

Offline willhaviland

• Explorer
Korean musicians that've made a lasting impression on you?
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:04:00 AM »
I was driving home from work the other week, and heard a lovely song on the radio. I tried unsuccessfully to find out the song details on the station's website, so had to ask a friend. It was a track from the debut album by Lucid Fall (entitled 'Lucid Fall'). So, I've since been listening to the full album, which is fantastic.

I was wondering, what artists/albums have you come across in Korea that you really enjoy listening to?

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Korean musicians that've made a lasting impression on you?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:08:43 AM »
Lee Kyung Won (guitarist), mainly his older stuff.
Liaxy
AZ (former guitarist of Liaxy)

Offline willhaviland

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations - I'll have a listen this week  ;D

Offline Titus Groan

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
   Off the top of my head as I while away time between classes:

LEE Jung-sik (Jazz Sax player, awesome, and a very accomplished stylist who has performed with some huge
                          names in the field, such as Kenny Barron and Ron Carter, among others.

Kim Duk-soo  (THE SAMULNORI master, and the person who - essentially - saved that genre and brought it back
                       as a vibrant part of Korea's contemporary music/arts foundation.                                                                 

KIM Tae-wan (Korea's Avant-garde Jazz legend; along with his brother, drummer KIM Dae-hwan, THE foundation
                        and mainstays of the Korean Avant-garde Jazz scene - used to play a lot at a little club in Jongno
                           called Banjul [yes, named after the Capital of Gambia: interesting story; will relate later].

BAE-Jang-eun  (Jazz Pianist- outstanding composer and a leading light in the female Jazz Artist scene...!)

I've just realized I could (well, I basically have over the years...) write a thesis on this topic covering many
genres - I will certainly add more to this topic (including some of the noteworthy clubs), in the upcoming weeks; hope these will suffice for now.

Offline willhaviland

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:36:16 AM »
Thanks a lot for sharing, I will investigate these!