February 16, 2019, 02:56:15 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Greetings from returning teacher  (Read 1449 times)

Offline mjc8500

• Waygookin
Greetings from returning teacher
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:17:26 AM »
Hello Waygook.org. Returning teacher here. I taught a number of years in Korea, went back to the States and started teaching here and absolutely hate it. Planning on heading back to Korea as soon as I can.

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
Re: Greetings from returning teacher
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
Hello Waygook.org. Returning teacher here. I taught a number of years in Korea, went back to the States and started teaching here and absolutely hate it. Planning on heading back to Korea as soon as I can.

What made you 'absolutely hate it'?  If you don't mind me asking?

Welcome back [soon] ....

Offline Dutchdiva

• Newgookin
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »
Eeek!! I plan on returning stateside  so I can get my teaching license, but definitely don't want to remain there. what made you hate it? and also, welcome back (soon)!

Offline mjc8500

• Waygookin
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »

What made you 'absolutely hate it'?  If you don't mind me asking?

Welcome back [soon] ....

I really like teaching, but I feel like when it comes to kids in the US, generally speaking, there's no expectation that they have to do well in school. A lot of my students laugh at the idea that going to college is something that they should do. There are obviously economic and social pressures on a lot of these kids, but knowing that and actually dealing with it are two different things. It's common to be shouted at, insulted, or even threatened by students. I had a 12 year old boy bring a very realistic looking toy gun to school last month and he threatened a number of students with it, claiming it was real. Obviously not the brightest bulb in the pack as he didn't think he'd get into trouble. Sexual harassment of girls by the boys is a major problem and heart breaking to see. I could go on and on.

I think I've also suffered from "reverse culture shock." I am amazed at how angry, mean, and nasty Americans are in general...or at least in California. I don't know if I just couldn't see it when I first lived in the US because it was the norm, or things really have gotten bad. I don't want to sound like a Korea cheerleader, because it obviously has its problems, but America just doesn't feel like my home.

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »
I think I've also suffered from "reverse culture shock." I am amazed at how angry, mean, and nasty Americans are in general...or at least in California. I don't know if I just couldn't see it when I first lived in the US because it was the norm, or things really have gotten bad. I don't want to sound like a Korea cheerleader, because it obviously has its problems, but America just doesn't feel like my home.
It's always been there. But also, you're doing a job that can see the best, and worst of humanity everyday. Teachers, police, public court lawyers, doctors, cashiers, telemarketers, etc... Basically anyone who has to deal with a wide variety of people everyday well have to deal with a lot of angry people. Same in Korea, but you are shielded by the language barrier.

Now if I say had a job as private bank accountant, you'll most likely spend 70% of the time in an amazing cubicle.

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:12:50 AM »
I am really thinking of heading back to S.Korea as well, I miss it.  If I do it will be within the next few years though, I have to recover from my accident first and get things in order.

How's the teaching atmosphere now, I am thinking of Seoul and specifically working with Canadian Connections like my first time.
Carpe PM... ZzzzzZzzz ZzzzZzzz.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 07:30:37 AM »
Not much has changed really. Salaries are about where they were 10 years ago. Which is a problem because the cost of living has gone through the roof. It used to be that most things were cheaper here than back home. Now it feels that almost everything is on par or more expensive than you'd find in the west. The exceptions being transport (which is creeping up) and maybe services like repairs etc. And healthcare if you are an American (which I'm not).

Still possible to save money and have a good time, but at least for me, the margins are getting a little thinner every year.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline salmatjie

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 11:28:15 PM »
good luck

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »
I am really thinking of heading back to S.Korea as well, I miss it.  If I do it will be within the next few years though, I have to recover from my accident first and get things in order.

How's the teaching atmosphere now, I am thinking of Seoul and specifically working with Canadian Connections like my first time.

Teaching is still good in South Korea. I'd say that it could be better but it could be worse.

With an F visa teaching adults is the way to go. Study groups of 3-5 students at 15 won an hour per student or so. It's a great time to be alive.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
Good luck guys on your return.

And always remember the big mistake you made on leaving in the first place.

Offline SanderB

• Adventurer
  • Korean ESL Teacher working at 고다 치즈타운 :) Gymnasium
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »
I do miss the innocent positivity of the students but I absolutely hated the pollution. I would never want to live in that black soot cloud called Seoul again...perhaps the British school in Cheju-do or Daegu...
-Magister non olet- 
 but some students... :wink:

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
I do miss the innocent positivity of the students but I absolutely hated the pollution. I would never want to live in that black soot cloud called Seoul again...perhaps the British school in Cheju-do or Daegu...

Daegu is an a big bowl shaped valley and is prone to inversions: it gets really sooty and gross too, unfortunately.  :sad:

That said, I'd take Daegu over Seoul any day of the week. Except weekends. That's when I need to head out to Busan or Seoul to catch a concert or two.

Offline mikeandjenny10

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 05:11:29 AM »

Good luck!  I'm sure it will be a great experience!

MD