November 13, 2018, 02:01:45 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: WTF is up with 12,000won for six tomatoes?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline SPQR

• Veteran
Re: WTF is up with 12,000won for six tomatoes?
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2018, 02:49:31 PM »
why does korea insist tomatoes are vegetables

I've always thought of them as vegetables.  I don't care what they are scientifically.  They
will always be vegetables to me.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »
In a culinary sense, tomatoes are vegetables due to their flavor profile.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
Fruits are sweet, and may be used in desserts (strawberry, peach, apple).

Vegetables are not sweet, and are used in main courses (cabbage, tomato, potato).
Catch my drift?

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2018, 03:21:17 PM »
Y'all obviously haven't bought a cake from tous le jous with tomatoes and grapes on the top.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »
Y'all obviously haven't bought a cake from tous le jous with tomatoes and grapes on the top.
That is absolutely correct.
I have not.

😁

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 06:48:30 PM »

Vegetables are not sweet, and are used in main courses (cabbage, tomato, potato).
Well, what about sweet corn and sweet potatoes?  :wink:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »

... or sugar beets, or sugar cane...

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
Or strawberries, which technically aren't berries... or even a fruit!
Or rhubarb, which is a vegetable...
Or avacados which are technically fruit but taste suspiciously like guacamole...
Or vanilla and peanuts, which are really beans, or coffee beans which are berries, or...

It's almost as if people don't follow official botanical classification guidelines when referring to everyday food items. It's disgusting, I know!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:12:15 AM by kyndo »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »
Or strawberries, which technically aren't berries... or even a fruit!
Or rhubarb, which is a vegetable...
Or avacados which are technically fruit but taste suspiciously like guacamole...
Or vanilla and peanuts, which are really beans, or coffee beans which are berries, or...

It's almost as if people don't follow official botanical classification guidelines when referring to everyday food items. It's disgusting, I know!
Now I'm hungry.

:(

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »

This whole proud of spicy thing and foreigners can't handle it has no basis in reality or history. Hahaha

Biggest joke of the century. Korean food is anything but spicy. It blows my mind. 
:laugh:

Yes and no. There are some darned hot dishes served, but those are usually ones where it's deliberately ratcheted up beyond the normal mild-moderate spice.

What's happened is that western tastes have changed. It used to be, at least for the U.S., that outside of the Southwest and Deep South, fondness for spice wasn't near as common. Heck, in the 1950s spaghetti was still "ethnic food" and was glorified ketchup on top of overcooked noodles. Coffee was processed crap. Sushi was not a thing. Thai or Vietnamese or Indian? Please.

While that has gone by the wayside, you still get a minority of foreigners who can't handle spice at all, not many, but enough that it continues to reinforce the stereotype. Contrast that to Koreans, all of which have some tolerance for spice.

I have encountered far more Koreans who can't tolerate spicy food than foreigners. 

edit: typed in the wrong place
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:50:54 AM by sligo »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
well, they also keep pumping out these bullshit stereotypes on korean tv. that tv show which features a bunch of foreigners, for example. if they go for food, and one person finds it slightly spicy, they'll put all these sound effects and graphics on the screen, emphasising that one person finds something slightly spicy - and then everyone in the studio will commentate about it

it's strange. i guess it makes easier viewing if the viewer's preconceived notions are confirmed rather than challenged

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »
well, they also keep pumping out these bullshit stereotypes on korean tv. that tv show which features a bunch of foreigners, for example. if they go for food, and one person finds it slightly spicy, they'll put all these sound effects and graphics on the screen, emphasising that one person finds something slightly spicy - and then everyone in the studio will commentate about it

it's strange. i guess it makes easier viewing if the viewer's preconceived notions are confirmed rather than challenged

because the Korean education system focuses on "knowing" rather than "understanding".  More: "This is what you think", than "What do you think and why?"  Hence everyone is: "fine thank you, and you?"