November 18, 2018, 02:28:22 PM

Author Topic: Bunch of No Tech Games  (Read 772 times)

Offline carter1l

• Adventurer
Bunch of No Tech Games
« on: October 05, 2018, 03:03:39 PM »
Here are some no tech games I've used in my classes and had huge success with. There's a lot here so don't mind my typing as I'm too lazy to read back everything and edit it.

I've found these games all over here, K-Share and the internet and changed them up a bit to make it more fun and practical as an ESL game, so shout out to the original creators for the ideas.

Zombie game (by far the most popular)

- kids will put their heads down with their eyes closed and you will walk around the room tapping however many kids on the head as you want. The kids you tap will be the zombies for this round.

- ask only the zombies to wake up so they can quickly see who their partner(s) are.

- ask all kids to stand up

- the kids will go around the room and ask each other one of the target
questions (ex. What do you do?...I'm a teacher. What do you do?.... I'm a student)

- After each kid has asked the question they will shake hands

- If someone is the zombie they will gently squeeze the hand while shaking to indicate that they are a zombie and the non zombie is now out and has to sit down.

- Ask the student who is out to be quiet when they are attacked by a zombie because if they blast out yelling "NOOOO" then everyone will now know who the zombie is.

- Whoever can shake five peoples hands with no zombie attacks are the winners and can stand at the front of the classroom until the game is over.

- you can easily alter the amount of zombies or handshakes required to win to make the game for fun each round :)

Evolution game:

- There are five levels to the evolution, Bug (rub hands together), chicken (flap your wings), monkey (scratch your head and side), Man/woman (wave and smile), and King/queen (hands to your side with your chest popped out).

- The kids will go around the room and ask each other one of the target
questions (ex. What do you do?...I'm a teacher. What do you do?.... I'm a student)

- After each kid speaks the target sentence they will rock, paper, scissors where whoever wins gets to move up the evolution chain, and the loser moves down (unless already a bug).

- Students can only verse someone who is at the same level as them, bug to bug, chicken to chicken....ect.

- Once a student becomes a king or queen they will then verse you where if they win you can either give them a prize (candy or stickers work well) or a point where the student with the most at the end of the game wins.

- My personal favorite part of the game, is if the student loses to you instead of just going down one stage back to man/woman, they go ALL THE WAY back to bug. It's literally the greatest watching their defeated faces as they slowly walk away to find another bug LOL

Hammer game:

- Print off two sets of a bunch of pictures or sentences for your lesson and stick them to the board at the front of the classroom. (use a line down the middle and make sure you have the same words or pictures on both sides.)

- split the class into two teams and move the desk around so you have a large pathway from the back of the classroom to the front where you have the two sets of lesson material.

- Have one student from each team come to the back of the classroom and hold an inflatable hammer while laying on the ground with their eyes closed as they're not allowed to see the board. (use their hands if your school doesn't have hammers.)

- once the students are ready call out a word or sentence where the students will have to get up run to the front and hit the correct paper. Student who hits theirs first wins.

- This game is extremely fun when you put the target phrase you're about to call out on the floor of the run away, top corner of the board, half underneath things... ect. The whole class laughs as they kids try to find the words.

Dice Roll Game (only works if you have a co teacher)

- divide the class into two teams where you and your co teacher will each watch over one group.

- divide the classroom board in half and write 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 on each side with plenty of room next to each.

- Print of two sets of pictures, words or sentences for your lesson. You will have one and your co teacher will have the other.

- Have two giant dices at the front of the class room (small will obviously work but the bigger ones are more fun haha.)

- Count down with your co teacher and once you're each ready you'll show one of the print outs to one student at a time.

- Once the student says the material correct you'll say "go" so they'll run to the front grab a dice and roll it. Whatever the dice rolls they'll mark it on the board. ex. a student rolls a 3, so they will add a tally mark next to the 3.

- play for however long you want (although I would recommend doing a bunch of 5-7 minute games)

- once the timer goes off you will count up all the tallies and multiply them by the dice number. ex. one team rolled a 5 four times they would get 20 points (5x4.)

- Team with the most points win

Flip Cup (only works with a co teacher)

- Divide the class into two teams and place a bunch of tables in the middle of the classroom for you two line up however many cups you will need for each student.

- Print off two sets of words, sentences or pictures for whatever your lessons is and give one set to your co teacher as you'll each be watching over one team.

- count down with your co teacher and show one student at a time one of your printed materials. Once they say it correctly they will run to the tables and flip one cup.

- once the cup is flipped you will do the same for the next student and so on.

- First team to flip all their cups is the winner.

Note: any size paper or plastic cups will work for this, but I recommend the small paper cups most schools have for coffee. In addition, I gave each team, 2-3 minutes to practice flipping cups before playing as I doubt they know the proper technique and power to do this well. made a WORLD of difference. Girls vs guys for the last game is always fun too.

Paper Airplane Game:

- divide the class into as many teams as you want and give each student a piece of paper to construct a paper airplane (show them how or play a video.)

- While their doing this you will be going around the class room and making islands out of desks and tapping target words or sentences onto them. Using the top of shelves, computer desk or whatever is in the classroom is cool. Mark each of these papers with some sort of point value with the farther or more smaller islands being worth more. I always use a tiny box near the back of the room as like 20-100 points (reasonable to whatever the other island values are) as it's funny watching the cocky kids go for it and completely missing.

- Once everyone has a paper airplane made call one team at a time to the front and ask each individual a question based of your lesson where if they're correct (help them so they're always right) they get to throw their paper airplane at an island for points.

- If they miss altogether make the floor itself worth one point.

- Optional, although i'd recommend is have the kids say what island they're aiming for (they're named after words from the lesson) as it further adds to the educational side of the game.

- after each team has gone as many times as time allows and the team with the most points wins.

Semi Circle Hammer Game (only works with a co teacher):

- Print off two sets of words, sentences or pictures for whatever your lessons is and give one set to your co teacher as you'll each be watching over one team (two total.)

- grab seven or so desks and create a semi circle off to the side where there is room.

- place one printed material on each desk and give each team one inflatable hammer ( Anything would work, but kids just love swinging a hammer.)

- Once each team is lined up on their perspective sides of the semi circle count down with your co teacher and once ready have the kids smack the table while reading out the material.

- while gaining approval from yourself or your co teacher the kids will move along the tables until they eventually meet. At this point they will rock paper scissors with the winner getting to continue to move along the tables.

- the loser will quickly run to the next person in line and hand them the hammer to jump into the game and play until they reach the other teams player.

- The games can go from 30 seconds to 40 minutes honestly depending on the outcomes of the RPS matches.

- Once a student reaches the other side that team will get a point with the team with the most at the end being the overall winner.

Hope these games work well for you as my students loved each and every one of them!

Offline vicarious

• Veteran
Re: Bunch of No Tech Games
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
Thank you!  I hate feeling too dependent on technology in the classroom.  These are some classic games that I'm sure every student will enjoy.

Offline carter1l

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:44:32 PM »
Thank you!  I hate feeling too dependent on technology in the classroom.  These are some classic games that I'm sure every student will enjoy.

I feel the same way, I always try to branch off from technology when I can! I'm positive your kids will enjoy these as mine went crazy!

You could also try two different variations of the "telephone game" where you tell one student a word or sentence and then they whisper it to the person behind them until the last person has to write it on a white board or something and stick it on the board and the front. The second is to use your finger and trace a letter on their hands and they'll all have to trace the same letter until the back person has to spell out a word from the lesson that starts with that letter. My grade threes struggle with spelling so before games like these we'll spell out the words at the front and leave them so they can simply copy. After each round the kids will rotate so each gets a turn at spelling!

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 07:50:07 AM »
The 'Kimchi Game' has been my goto game for years, tried and tested, all my classes have loved it.

- Highly customizable
- Perfect for all levels
- Focuses on speaking, listening and reading, you could emphasize one by customizing the game
- Only needs a whiteboard
- Does help if the students are seated in rows/columns or the horseshoe/u-shaped pattern, probably the best pattern but
  doesn't have to be.

Write whatever sentence you'd like to teach on the board, followed by the word 'Kimchi' (could be any word)
Give the students numbers, based on their seats, in order.
Have the students stand and in order, from 1st student to last, they'll read one word from the key expression eg. the sentence is "Where is the music room? It's next to the English room."
S1 reads "Where", S2 reads "is" etc.
Once S11 reads "room", S12 and S13 have to say 'Kimchi'. The first one to say it stays standing and the loser sits down, they're out.

Keep playing till two students remain then have a sudden death round, I play a variation of Simon says, which they love!

Variations
- After every few rounds change the Key Expression. Allow a student who has been eliminated to stand up and rejoin the game
  if they can translate the new Key Expression or read it out in full (depending on the student's level).
- After every few rounds erase a some of the words, now the students must rely on memory.
- If reading is too difficult or you'd like to add a twist, use pictures, shapes, letters or whatever.
  I wrote "May I have some (colour of teacher's cat) pizza?" The students had to guess the colour of my cat before continuing, which was completely random, if they guessed wrong they were out, but it leveled the playing field so the stronger students wouldn't keep dominating and it added a lot of suspense as nobody wanted to land on that question.
- When 5-6 students remain, play sudden death. I say things like, touch your head (last student to touch their head sits down), touch your pencil case, smile, don't smile, touch your friends head etc.

Offline carter1l

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 07:29:33 PM »
The 'Kimchi Game' has been my goto game for years, tried and tested, all my classes have loved it.

- Highly customizable
- Perfect for all levels
- Focuses on speaking, listening and reading, you could emphasize one by customizing the game
- Only needs a whiteboard
- Does help if the students are seated in rows/columns or the horseshoe/u-shaped pattern, probably the best pattern but
  doesn't have to be.

Write whatever sentence you'd like to teach on the board, followed by the word 'Kimchi' (could be any word)
Give the students numbers, based on their seats, in order.
Have the students stand and in order, from 1st student to last, they'll read one word from the key expression eg. the sentence is "Where is the music room? It's next to the English room."
S1 reads "Where", S2 reads "is" etc.
Once S11 reads "room", S12 and S13 have to say 'Kimchi'. The first one to say it stays standing and the loser sits down, they're out.

Keep playing till two students remain then have a sudden death round, I play a variation of Simon says, which they love!

Variations
- After every few rounds change the Key Expression. Allow a student who has been eliminated to stand up and rejoin the game
  if they can translate the new Key Expression or read it out in full (depending on the student's level).
- After every few rounds erase a some of the words, now the students must rely on memory.
- If reading is too difficult or you'd like to add a twist, use pictures, shapes, letters or whatever.
  I wrote "May I have some (colour of teacher's cat) pizza?" The students had to guess the colour of my cat before continuing, which was completely random, if they guessed wrong they were out, but it leveled the playing field so the stronger students wouldn't keep dominating and it added a lot of suspense as nobody wanted to land on that question.
- When 5-6 students remain, play sudden death. I say things like, touch your head (last student to touch their head sits down), touch your pencil case, smile, don't smile, touch your friends head etc.

This is awesome, thanks :)