February 17, 2019, 01:12:47 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Fellow foodie attacks top Korean food critic [Baek Jong-won]  (Read 1295 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Fellow foodie attacks top Korean food critic [Baek Jong-won]
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:47:16 PM »
Article and text included below.

Good. Baek Jong-won is, despite being very good at money, an absolute cancer in the food scene of Korea.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2018/10/398_256439.html

By Ko Dong-hwan

Korea's most popular food critic and busy restaurateur Baek Jong-won is under fire from another culinary expert after discouraging a desperate bar owner in a controversial blind makgeolli test.

Baek, who runs more than 25 franchise brands in Korea and is the most sought-after chef-tainer (chef-entertainer), was criticized by food columnist Hwang Gyo-ik on Facebook. Hwang was apparently upset by the test on SBS TV food show "Baek Jong-won's Alley Restaurant" that aired in September.

The episode saw a loss-making rice wine bar owner in Seoul named Park Yu-deok seek help from Baek. But the pair exchanged words over their difference in makgeolli tastes.

Baek then suggested Park take the impromptu test, identifying the manufacturing regions of 12 makgeollis from across the country to demonstrate his expertise. Park picked only two while Baek nailed them all.

Park believed Baek was putting him down for not knowing them all as a makgeolli bar owner who, according to the star, "should possess such skill."

Baek also was critical of Park's version of makgeolli sold at the bar, saying it was too watery. While Park insisted he will stick with his creation, Baek urged him to give it up and sell popular brands.

Baek Jong-won in "My Little Television" on MBC, where he first garnered nationwide fame. He has maintained that momentum, opening restaurants and cafes and featuring on television. Korea Times file

Hwang, who has been writing columns for over 20 years, said the blind test lacked fairness and the show decorated the game's winner with "authority" and the loser with "embarrassment." He also said identifying a makgeolli's origin in a blind test is nearly impossible, considering there are over 800 kinds in the country.

"Without giving him any information, the show made Park take the test," Hwang said. "It's impossible. I call such a showbiz gig an exaggeration. Now tabloid-seeking journalists are attacking me for that. I call them garbage reporters as well."

In a series of Facebook posts in the past few days explaining his criticism of Baek and the show, Hwang attacked Baek's popular home-cooking recipes for being "not authentic but containing too much condiments." He was also critical of television shows praising Baek's culinary feats.

"After the test, Baek swaggered like a champ while Park lowered his tail," Hwang said on the social network. "Now, is this image-making necessary in the program? If you had even a bit of understanding about human palates, such a format couldn't have come up."

Baek, 52, is married to actress So Yoo-jin, who is 15 years younger. He rose to stardom in 2015 when his Chungchung Province accent and "easy" cooking style on MBC TV show "My Little Television" touched the hearts of many. Drawing parallels with British chef-tainer Gordon Ramsay, Baek's recent television shows coach struggling restaurant owners and street food vendors.

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Fellow foodie attacks top Korean food critic [Baek Jong-won]
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:59:47 PM »
 For Makgoli and side dishes I go to Gwang Jang market.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:15:41 PM »
He asked a guy who makes makgeolli to do a blind taste test of different makgeollis? Did they know the brands beforehand? Seeing as its Baek's show, did they pick Baek's 12 favourite brands?

Asking a brewpub owner to just identify 12 different makgeollis would be like the guys who run Magpie to identify these 12 beers, blind,

Again, did they know the brands they were testing, and how familiar was Baek with all of them prior, being the host of the show and all. If they were brands that the pub owner carried, that'd be bloody humiliating though. hahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »
He asked a guy who makes makgeolli to do a blind taste test of different makgeollis? Did they know the brands beforehand? Seeing as its Baek's show, did they pick Baek's 12 favourite brands?

Asking a brewpub owner to just identify 12 different makgeollis would be like the guys who run Magpie to identify these 12 beers, blind,

Might be that you're a bit ahead of me in the '99 bottle of beers on the wall' song or maybe one of us has difficulty counting, but I'm gonna disagree with you about there being 12 beers in that photo you posted.  :smiley:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
Might be that you're a bit ahead of me in the '99 bottle of beers on the wall' song or maybe one of us has difficulty counting, but I'm gonna disagree with you about there being 12 beers in that photo you posted.  :smiley:

You've heard of a baker's dozen?

This is a brewer's dozen.  :wink:
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »
I can't see any pictures?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »
Touché!
 :laugh:

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »
He must have known what the Makgeolis were going to be before filming. That just seems unrealistic. Granted I don't have a refined palate, at all, but no one is that good at tasting minor differences, surely.

The producers gave him the iggy, to portray him as a master gastronome.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 02:48:04 PM »
Baek Jong Won is a 'cant'.  A massive massive 'cant'

That is all.

'Should be read in a cockney accent'
yeah, he really seems like a massive knob

Offline T.J.

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 02:52:43 PM »
Touché!
 :laugh:

It's a deceptive photo because 24 of the items in the picture can't really be considered beer.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 02:53:42 PM »
Baek Jong Won is a 'cant'.  A massive massive 'cant'

That is all.

'Should be read in a cockney accent'
yeah, he really seems like a massive knob

+1 on both counts. He lost any credibility with me after I tried one of the sandwiches they sell at his chain of cafes.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 02:57:48 PM »
The one restaurant chain of his where you order via a self service touch screen isn't too bad for a 5000-6000 won meal. But you can tell the sauces and soups have been loaded with sugar.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
He must have known what the Makgeolis were going to be before filming. That just seems unrealistic. Granted I don't have a refined palate, at all, but no one is that good at tasting minor differences, surely.

The producers gave him the iggy, to portray him as a master gastronome.

Of course it is.  He's an arrogant shit, who obviously has to come out on top or nobody would watch his program.  Who wants to watch a program where the host is loser?   :laugh:  He's the 'chairman' at Yesan High School in Chungnam, and my Korean friend who works there told me that he came to talk to the teachers and told them not to do anything illegal because it would affect his brand.  Massive ballbag.

Yeah, not because breaking laws would be a bad thing! :huh:
The World Ends With You

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
my Korean friend who works there told me that he came to talk to the teachers and told them not to do anything illegal because it would affect his brand.  Massive ballbag.

Hahahahahaha. What a dick.

"No touching the student's bottoms, it would affect my bottom line."

Jesus, this is a top 20 thing that makes you sound like an out of touch, complete a-hole.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
I would much rather kick a pigeon to death on the way to school.  Then slow-cook it in a carrier bag on top of my workstation, than eat anything from Mr Baek's cafes.  And I'm a vegetarian.

I had a pigeon at the Royal Palace Resto in Jogjakarta. It was good.  :cheesy:
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
Baek seems like the perfect poster-child to take the fall for some big scandal in the future.

The schadenfreude is strong and waiting for this one.

It almost feels inevitable.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 07:43:17 AM »
So basically, you'll eat anything covered in ghost pepper sauce?  Cutlets, pigeons, lions, anvils?

It was a roasted soy sauce pigeon. My palate is more diverse than you think, you saucy boy.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 08:33:30 AM »
In Baek's defense, it should be noted that his restaurants dont promise gourmet dining, but rather a decent product at an affordable price. For example, his coffee chain is easily the cheapest.

The guy is the Guy Fieri of the Korean food scene, but I also think some people are overly harsh.

As for the stunt, it's important to take anything on reality TV with a grain of salt, one way or the other. For all we know this is a fake plot cookup.

Anyways, he doesnt deserve the hype and Im sure hes a knob in many ways, but at least he has the decency not to overcharge for his very average product.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 08:40:55 AM »
In Baek's defense, it should be noted that his restaurants dont promise gourmet dining, but rather a decent product at an affordable price. For example, his coffee chain is easily the cheapest.

The guy is the Guy Fieri of the Korean food scene, but I also think some people are overly harsh.

As for the stunt, it's important to take anything on reality TV with a grain of salt, one way or the other. For all we know this is a fake plot cookup.

Anyways, he doesnt deserve the hype and Im sure hes a knob in many ways, but at least he has the decency not to overcharge for his very average product.

Most of his franchises are not marketed as budget options. His coffee shops are, but a lot of his other stuff is just marketed as normal food.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
Most of his franchises are not marketed as budget options. His coffee shops are, but a lot of his other stuff is just marketed as normal food.
That's what I meant by "decent product at an affordable price" as normal food. Like Saemaeul Sikdang is average food at an average price (why anyone would eat there when so many other options in the price and quality area abound is beyond me....).