February 17, 2019, 02:18:25 AM

Author Topic: Food to bring from home  (Read 712 times)

Offline seamstressfortheband

• Explorer
Food to bring from home
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:14:31 AM »
Coming back to Korea soon and I'm going to bring a bunch of things I'll need for my kitchen that isn't available in normal supermarkets/reasonably priced (there's a shipping allowance I couldn't possibly fill)

Stuff I thought of was:
Herbs and spices (cumim, coriander, curry powders/pastes, bay leaves, oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, sage, maybe some spice mix packets)
Decent mustard (English, French)
Horseradish
Branston pickle
Mango chutney/any chutney
Sundried tomatoes
Quinoa/couscous (never used to really eat these so they could be everywhere, I have no idea)
Decent black teas
Non-sugary peanut butter

...so it's basically all condiments. Am I forgetting anything or is any of this unnecessary?

What would you add?

Cheers!

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: Food to bring from home
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:47:49 AM »
Are you going to be living in Seoul, when you come back?  It is possible to get most of those spices from your basic Lottemart.  I live rurally and I can easily get bay leaves/oregano/thyme and sage in local supermarkets.  If you're in Seoul then the rest of the spices and herbs you can easily get in Itaewon.  French mustard is available here, but British (like Colmans) is not.  I bought a tub back last time.

Bring Branston pickle, as I've not seen that here.  I can get mango chutney at my local foreign store, but it is pricey 13 000 won.

Quinoa is easy to get here, as are other grains and kinds of wheat.

Decent black tea?  Crikey, yes.  You're limited to English Breakfast tea here and it's an awful substitute.  When I come back from England, I always love to bring back Clipper organic teabags. 

Most of the supermarkets Emart/LotteMart have some diverse foreign products sometimes in their foreign food sections.  Emart has Waitrose stuff.

Cheese is always something I sneak into my suitcase.  In England, they have massive wedges of cheddar for 3 quid.  A two hundred gram piece here will cost you 9000 won.

The cheese when I went to England was so good. I've never eaten so much cheese for so little money.

Also, as an aside, I found Colman's mustard about five years ago at Homeplus once. But I've never seen it since.

Offline seamstressfortheband

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
Thank you! Very helpful.
I will be in Seoul yes...I still think I might bring some of those East End big packets of spices that cost about 1 here, I remember those being pricy but I guess herbs are unnecessary...
Cheese is a good shout, I don't eat loads but that said I recall spending almost o man won on basically two slices there once.

Thanks!

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
Coming back to Korea soon and I'm going to bring a bunch of things I'll need for my kitchen that isn't available in normal supermarkets/reasonably priced (there's a shipping allowance I couldn't possibly fill)

Stuff I thought of was:
Herbs and spices (cumin, coriander, curry powders/pastes, bay leaves, oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, sage, maybe some spice mix packets)
Horseradish
Branston pickle
Sundried tomatoes
Quinoa/couscous (never used to really eat these so they could be everywhere, I have no idea)
Decent black teas
Non-sugary peanut butter

...so it's basically all condiments. Am I forgetting anything or is any of this unnecessary?

What would you add?

Cheers!
     Most of the items I highlighted in red are readily available in Korea: I live in a small town and can get all those ingredients no problemo. I would recommend checking out your local South-East Asian marts for spices, although most you listed are also available in the larger marts and Costco as well.
    Dill can be hard to find, so I smuggled a few packets from home a couple seasons ago, and grow my own: it's almost impossible to kill!  :smiley:

If you're picky about tea, and the stuff on iHerb doesn't cut it for you, then yeah, bring some from home. I'm not super picky though, and the online selection at iHerb is pretty decent, IMHO.

Fresh horse radish is impossible to find, but horseradish paste is sold at most large grocery stores, so bring some or not, depending on which you meant.

There are some chutneys out there, but their not brilliant, so take some with you if you have a particular sort you're fond of!

Peanut butter here is crap and super expensive to boot. I would bring some along with you if possible!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:44:47 AM by kyndo »

Offline Allpointseast

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 03:54:07 AM »
  I would bring a couple of big packets of tea from home. Also, I would want to bring something Christmassy, perhaps mini Christmas puddings, or fruitcake, or the kinds of ingredients we use to make Christmas food.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »
You can get mustard at Emart Traders. You can also find Shuckers Peanut Butter , and horseradish as well, there . Many of the spices as well. If you have extra space in your luggage, I would bring some spices (and definitely the packs) because you can get large ones cheap. If you bake, maybe vanilla and nutmeg. You can find it is Seoul, but maybe Jasmine of extra long grain rice. I also get velveta mac and cheese, and I just take the cheese packs and buy mac noodles here.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »
If it's a general item, you can probably find it here. If it's a specific brand, that's what your luggage space is for. Before you travel, take a look around on 11st or Gmarket or whatever online grocery site is big these days (Is it still Nice Deli? or EZShop? or something new?) and you can figure out what you can get pretty easily. Don't waste precious on space on something you can get here for 2000 won more. Use it for stuff that would cost $50 to ship.

This means high priority items- opened booze, cigarettes and merchandise (lets you dodge customs, to a point) and food items like dill, Vernor's Ginger Ale, Buffalo/Elk jerky, and so on.

Lastly, Peter Pan peanut butter, smooth, or it can take a hike. There's Skippy everywhere these days. Boo.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
If it's a general item, you can probably find it here. If it's a specific brand, that's what your luggage space is for. Before you travel, take a look around on 11st or Gmarket or whatever online grocery site is big these days (Is it still Nice Deli? or EZShop? or something new?) and you can figure out what you can get pretty easily. Don't waste precious on space on something you can get here for 2000 won more. Use it for stuff that would cost $50 to ship.

This means high priority items- opened booze, cigarettes and merchandise (lets you dodge customs, to a point) and food items like dill, Vernor's Ginger Ale, Buffalo/Elk jerky, and so on.

Lastly, Peter Pan peanut butter, smooth, or it can take a hike. There's Skippy everywhere these days. Boo.

What's even the point of having peanut butter if you go smooth?! :O
Crunchy is the only real peanut butter, IMO. :P

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 11:23:54 AM »
If I want crunchy, I can take a bunch of honey roasted ones, smash them with a mallet, and stir them in.  :cheesy:

Offline hayleebb87

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »

Stuff I thought of was:
Herbs and spices (cumim, coriander, curry powders/pastes, bay leaves, oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, sage, maybe some spice mix packets)
Horseradish
Branston pickle
Sundried tomatoes
Decent black teas
Non-sugary peanut butter

What would you add?

Cheers!

Honestly, I wouldn't waste your luggage space on these items in particular. You can find most here on coupang (they have fast world shipping under their rocket program/shipping is 5,000 won or free if you order over 30,000 won) or order from iHerb and have them delivered to Korea with like 3 or 5 dollar shipping (free over $40).

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 01:19:48 PM »
Things I always bring back:

Tea (ditch the box and stick all the bags in a ziplock bag)
Cheese (careful of the expiry date)
Beef stock
Chocolates/snack/biscuits/treats (Caramels, Bounties, Caramacs etc)
Indian spices/sauce packets
Soup packets

Lots of good UK food has gone missing after Tesco sold Homeplus.