March 25, 2019, 07:34:11 PM

Author Topic: Why do Koreans always have to see before they believe?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Why do Koreans always have to see before they believe?
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »

yeah, pretty much. i think it's the "wow, ooooh, you're so good at eating spicy food" condescending attitude that annoys everyone though

yeah, i think this is really what bothers people. it's just the attitude. i just don't get why it bothers people? it just doesn't bother me.
because after 5+ years of living in korea, it wears a little thin

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »

yeah, pretty much. i think it's the "wow, ooooh, you're so good at eating spicy food" condescending attitude that annoys everyone though

yeah, i think this is really what bothers people. it's just the attitude. i just don't get why it bothers people? it just doesn't bother me. but i get your point. i just can't imagine it bothering me as much as it seems to bother some people.
because after 5+ years of living in korea, it wears a little thin

seems like many of these things wear more than a little thin for some people

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 03:10:08 PM »
Did you know King Sejeong invented spicy food?

Spiciest dish I've ever had in Korea was at a Andong jjim-dak 안동 찜닭  place. It was spicy, but I could eat it. It was nothing compared to getting a beef and broccoli Thai dish with 3 out of 5 stars for spiciness. I couldn't finish the Thai dish, I was crying (watery eyes) and had a runny nose.

But yeah foreigners can't eat spicy foods... :rolleyes:

찜닭 is a food that I can't eat when it is laced with all those peppers. I can eat it but my running nose just makes it too uncomfortable to continue eating it. My Korean wife feels the same way as me and we normally order without because Koreans can't make "mildly spicy" food.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »
for example, once in while we hang out with my wife's friends. we'll order chicken, tteokbokki or other "spicy" food. we eat this food every time. they know i eat this food, they have seen me eat this food. yet, every time, without fail, at least one of them will say "wow, you eat korean spicy food so well. you are now korean!"
1. it's not very spicy.
2. you make this comment every time. we have met countless times before
3. i am not a child. you don't have to congratulate me on eating bog-standard korean food

Usually, when we go back to England, we get a curry from the local takeaway which is rural Peak District.  It's ok but they always tone down the heat.  So my wife always goes for the vindaloo and it's mild by anyone's standards. Once, we went into Manchester to meet my dad and we went for a curry in Didsbury, so my wife ordered a vindaloo, as usual.  I just let her get on with it.  Sweating, not being able to speak, complaining about 'fire in my mouth' and not being able to finish it.  So now it's a once bitten, twice shy thing.  The dangers of a Manchester vindaloo.   :laugh:

Cool story! Here's mine.

My Korean MIL knows I don't get on so well with some types of spicy Korean food (too many peppers on top of an already peppery sauce in a peppery broth etc.) but one time we all went out for an Indian in Seoul. Vindaloo was one of the curries we ordered and I can handle most curries, but turning to my MIL, she had the look of immediate stress on her face and disappointment that I could handle this "spicy" food and she couldn't.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 03:17:55 PM »

Spiciest dish I've ever had in Korea was at a Andong jjim-dak 안동 찜닭  place. It was spicy, but I could eat it. It was nothing compared to getting a beef and broccoli Thai dish with 3 out of 5 stars for spiciness. I couldn't finish the Thai dish, I was crying (watery eyes) and had a runny nose.

찜닭 is a food that I can't eat when it is laced with all those peppers. I can eat it but my running nose just makes it too uncomfortable to continue eating it. My Korean wife feels the same way as me and we normally order without because Koreans can't make "mildly spicy" food.
all my korean friends pick those peppers out before eating

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »

all my korean friends pick those peppers out before eating

Kind of ruins the eating experience playing the game of seeing whether my wife or I can find more peppers.

Online Andyman

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
I haven't had a great curry in Seoul yet but I've heard good things about Everest. I got Jyoti by delivery and it was decent, but not great. Gotta lower expectations for the delivery version though.

If you have ever happen to be in Daejeon, Indy is by far the best Indian restaurant I've been to in Korea. I've been to about 5 in Daejeon, one in Gwangju, one in Jeonju and two or three in Seoul. Indy crushes them all. Their homemade paneer is the best I've had anywhere.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »
for example, once in while we hang out with my wife's friends. we'll order chicken, tteokbokki or other "spicy" food. we eat this food every time. they know i eat this food, they have seen me eat this food. yet, every time, without fail, at least one of them will say "wow, you eat korean spicy food so well. you are now korean!"
1. it's not very spicy.
2. you make this comment every time. we have met countless times before
3. i am not a child. you don't have to congratulate me on eating bog-standard korean food

Usually, when we go back to England, we get a curry from the local takeaway which is rural Peak District.  It's ok but they always tone down the heat.  So my wife always goes for the vindaloo and it's mild by anyone's standards. Once, we went into Manchester to meet my dad and we went for a curry in Didsbury, so my wife ordered a vindaloo, as usual.  I just let her get on with it.  Sweating, not being able to speak, complaining about 'fire in my mouth' and not being able to finish it.  So now it's a once bitten, twice shy thing.  The dangers of a Manchester vindaloo.   :laugh:

Cool story! Here's mine.

My Korean MIL knows I don't get on so well with some types of spicy Korean food (too many peppers on top of an already peppery sauce in a peppery broth etc.) but one time we all went out for an Indian in Seoul. Vindaloo was one of the curries we ordered and I can handle most curries, but turning to my MIL, she had the look of immediate stress on her face and disappointment that I could handle this "spicy" food and she couldn't.

Was it any good?  As I don't live in Seoul, chances to eat curry are a little few and far between when I'm there with my wife.  Years ago, I went to the one in Itaewon up Hooker Hill, but I can't remember the name.  I remember asking if a particular dish had cream in it and the waiter said they put cream in all the curries  :undecided:  You don't put cream in all dishes.  :rolleyes:  If you are then you're doing something wrong.  I had one at Jyoti in Sinchon a few years ago and that was fairly good.  There was one we had in Myeongdong, I think, but it wasn't anything really to write home about, and all were quite mild and all quite expensive.

This was at Otsal at Seoul University station, been there a few times. The owner and chefs are all Indian so it's going to be pretty authentic as curries go but still behind the curries I've ate back in the UK. Same goes for Chinese food here, too. I miss a good Chinese carry-out.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 04:25:59 PM »
i actually wasn't a fan of otsal. Jyoti was okay and Everest is probably still the best in Seoul, i think

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 07:25:50 AM »
most apt thread, I suppose for this... if there were any proof of the seediness of Korean popular culture it happened twice this week...

'K-popís Great Gatsby': Seungri charged over prostitution ring

Seungriís taste for the high life earned him the nickname the Great Gatsby of Korea. But now the singer, a member of one of South Koreaís biggest K-pop bands, is facing charges that he procured prostitutes for businessmen in some of Seoulís most fashionable nightclubs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/12/k-pop-scandal-big-bang-seungri-south-korea-charged-over-illegal-prostitution-ring

he must be minted, why would he have a prostitution ring?

and then the next day, we have the pastey guy who always looked like he was a smack addict 'retires' for secretly sharing videos of him screwing women...

K-pop scandal widens as singer admits sharing secretly filmed sex videos

A sex scandal swirling around South Koreaís K-pop industry has deepened after a singer and TV celebrity admitted he had secretly filmed himself having sex with women and sharing the footage online without their consent.

Jung Joon-young, who rose to fame after coming second in a TV talent show, said he would retire from show business and admitted he had shared footage of several women in a group chatroom.

Members of the chatroom allegedly included Seungri, a K-pop star who was charged this week over allegations that he ran an illegal prostitution ring.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/13/k-pop-scandal-widens-as-singer-retires-after-sharing-secretly-filmed-sex-videos

celebrity worship in Korea makes this...

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 07:54:48 AM »
most apt thread, I suppose for this... if there were any proof of the seediness of Korean popular culture it happened
celebrity worship in Korea makes this...
Are you suggesting this is a uniquely Korean phenomenon? Or is this proof of the seediness of human popular culture?

Offline TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
I see this at my school about my driving. Sometimes we need an extra driver to go to hweshiks, but they never believe I could ever find the restaurant (usually 5 min away). Like yeah, I've been driving for years here...I can get around pretty easily.