November 19, 2018, 04:17:43 AM

Author Topic: Star Wars vs. Star Trek  (Read 1022 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Star Wars vs. Star Trek
« on: September 14, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
A thread for pointless arguing and bickering.

1) Which do you like more? Which do you think is better? How do you rank the respective movies?
2) Who would win in a fight?

I've been a fan of both, but Star Trek is beloved, while Star Wars is just fun. It's a tough choice between Wrath of Khan and Episode IV.

I'm biased so I think the Enterprise would cream the Empire that lost to teddy bears armed with logs, has weapons aimed like AA guns on a WWII aircraft carrier, and stormtroopers who can't hit the broadside of a barn. But then again, there's The Force yo.

Oh and if you chime in with Babylon Five or Battlestar Galactica...eh sure whatever.

EDIT- crap, just realized I posted this in off-topic and not Film and TV...my bad.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Star Wars vs. Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »
I honestly consider the two to be different enough in tone and content that it feels a bit pointless to compare them. I mean, I get why people do, since they both take place in space, but to me that's a bit like comparing The Walking Dead and Designing Women because they both take place in Atlanta.  :laugh:

I suppose one way to get a better answer out of me on the subject would be "Which are you more likely to watch?"

In which case:

Star Trek TNG, if I have a whole day at home and want something on while I dick around on the internet or whatever, but...

Star Wars, if I just have a couple hours in the evening and feel like killing that time with a movie.

Star Trek's all about the long game, son.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
Star Trek falls in the category of "things that aren't super important and would take too damn long to finish" for me. There's just too much content. Therefore, Star Wars... though tbh I haven't seen a few of the newer ones because The Force Awakens didn't really do it for me.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:54:10 AM »
Star Wars gave us Jar Jar Binks. Hence, Star Trek is miles better.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »

Yeah, but Star Trek gave us Jean-Luc Picard and that guy sucks.

Evens out, TBH. 
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
I have a hard time watching a long-running series. Mostly, I get bored because everything is either too much of the same thing, or the writers/producers/whatever try to boost ratings by dragging out dramas that no one ever learn from and which end up making the show really weird and depressing. It just kills the dynamics of the series without ever developing the characters outside of either making them super goofy or super emo.

The old Star Trek wasn't bad about all of that, but I could never get into it because it's just too long for me, and, at the time, it just seemed too serious (and when it wasn't serious, it was goofy -- those were the times, though). The newer series, on the other hand, are guilty of a lot of the tropes I don't care for, so I hate them. I like the newer films, but... time travel. They did it well and I understand why, but I just really hate time travel.

So I tend to prefer the Star Wars universe... but I hate all of the Lucas CGI prequels, before they sold the rights to Disney. All of them. Just. Nnggh. Star Trek movies beat the Star Wars prequels, hands down. I've really enjoyed the newer Star Wars movies, outside of the Solo film, despite their faults, too. I enjoy those more than the Star Trek films even though I DO feel like the Star Trek films are better written and executed.  :undecided:

In real life, the Star Wars folks could beat up the Star Trek folks.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »

Yeah, but Star Trek gave us Jean-Luc Picard and that guy sucks.

Evens out, TBH.

Blasphemy. To the stake with you, sir!

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »
I honestly consider the two to be different enough in tone and content that it feels a bit pointless to compare them.

This. Plus, growing up I never really watched Star Trek. My only real perspective of them would be the more recent movies. I've always been big on Star Wars, through the ups and downs. As it stands though, with The Last Jedi and Solo being as bad as they were (in my opinion at least), it's hard for me to stand up for the series. Not to mention it having one of the most toxic fanbases ever. Star Trek Beyond was pretty fun for the most part though :laugh:
The World Ends With You

Offline AMDC

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »
stormtroopers who can't hit the broadside of a barn

I like Star Wars more, but its true that bringing red shirts to heighten perceived enemy threat seemed like a better idea / more realistic than not bringing expendable characters and not many people getting killed (enemies just missing forever).

edit: but the force tho

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
Blasphemy. To the stake with you, sir!
Yes, I am trying to start a war. haha

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
Some hot takes:

Episode I was actually kind of fun. It (almost) got the Howard Hawks defintion of a good movie being 3 good scenes and no bad ones. Underwater, Pod Racing, and Duel of the Fates were at least 2.5 good scenes. The only problem was Jar Jar Binks being a move-long bad scene (I can forgive bad child acting). Also, being a Star Trek and GoT fan, I have no problem with extended scenes of meetings and plots and bureacracy.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, despite its many flaws, is a really really good movie. There's some amazing scenes, an amazing score, and some interesting stuff.

Revenge of the Sith was utterly forgettable.

Voyager ain't bad and B'Elana Torres is the most underrated Star Trek Character.

Nog had perhaps the most complete character arc of any character on a Star Trek show.

Kirk vs. Khan in the Mutara Nebula was a better space battle than Endor.

Star Wars IV, V, and VI is underrated for its humor.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
Some hot takes:

Voyager ain't bad and B'Elana Torres is the most underrated Star Trek Character.

Voyager ain't bad but DS9 >> Voyager.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »
Overall I really like both universes. I grew up watching the original StarWars movies a million times at my dads place. I also have seen some of the original startrek (hilarious!), most of TNG (CO2 is so wrong!), Voyager and Deep space 9, even a bunch of the new startrek (enterprise and discovery).

I think overall the startrek U has so much more dynamics and has had amazing plots and build ups ect. I think usually StarWars is more always based on light vs dark/ empire vs rebels  so I think it's a bit less dynamic in its overall stretch. That being said I like the characters and light/dark within everyone kinda vibe. So hard for me to pick because I just love the sci-fi genre. (stargate, the expance, X-files (?), firefly, twighlight zone, babylon 5 to name a few)

Lets try :
 Movies: they have both had some good and bad old ones I would go with Starwars cuz of childhood. New ones: I like the new Star Trek ones because they seem to have new ideas and have more action and direction IMO. 

Universe: Hands down the STrek has a better universe with more than just 2 major factions and has way more amazing tech. SWars is so close because the force is cool and all but not that cool (think 40k cool).

Who is stronger?: Depends exactly because at some points in SWars the empire had almost taken over the entire galaxy (entire?). BUT I think that overall the federation with all the allies would kick the empires butt and have way more varied technology and weaponry.

TLDR; They both have really cool parts to them and love them both. If I could only have one though I would pick Star Trek because of how long it is and I love the science and exploration that it is all about.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
Overall I really like both universes. I grew up watching the original StarWars movies a million times at my dads place. I also have seen some of the original startrek (hilarious!), most of TNG (CO2 is so wrong!), Voyager and Deep space 9, even a bunch of the new startrek (enterprise and discovery).

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 01:49:24 PM »
I actually listened to half of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwIExmtkrNM&feature=youtu.be

Not sure what I am doing wrong to embed the vid... :S
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:54:16 PM by MaximusPrime »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »
I actually listened to half of the song

http://www.youtube.com/UwIExmtkrNM

Made it farther than I did. hahahahaha

(Your link doesn't work btw, says page not found)

Offline hustler100

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »
I think this sums it up.  :laugh:

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
I think this sums it up.  :laugh:

Ah yes. This is the answer to the age old question: "What happens when an unstoppable utterly ineffectual force meets an immovable object with a coefficient of friction equaling zero"?  :laugh:

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 05:18:04 PM »
Star Wars is a space Western, Star Trek is science fiction.

I have wondered what it would be like to have the millennium falcon take on Romulan warbirds, or Chewy fight the Klingons (related: I recall back in the early 1980's us kids arguing whether stormtroopers or cylons were more badass, and whether an x-wing fighter was better than a Viper from the Galactica).

I saw the original Star Wars three times on its opening weekend and countless times since, and think on an action level it's cooler and just purely enjoyable dumb fun, but Star Trek captured the imagination like only science and science fiction have for me.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:22:32 PM by VanIslander »

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 03:04:15 AM »
Star Wars wins by knockout in the first round.

The sith would destroy the whole star trek universe.