November 21, 2018, 03:26:37 PM

Author Topic: Is it just me or do Koreans rarely wear sunglasses  (Read 3075 times)

Offline josieb93

• Explorer
Re: Is it just me or do Koreans rarely wear sunglasses
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »
Omg I was thinking the same thing! I never see anyone wear any

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 04:00:31 PM »
5) and yeah man we get that generalizations and stereotypes are usually not cool or maybe kinda negative, but jesus christ. can we not have a discussion without somebody (you & demartino) demanding empirical date from 3 different quadrants cross-checked with my nut sack??

so there we go....i had some classes cancelled today and figured id jump on here andddddd now i hate everyone.

The thing is, a lot of posters flip their lid at the slightest generalization by Koreans or some preconceived notion they have or them being superficial and obsessed with stuff that doesn't matter or them treating people as outsiders and different and objects for amusement. And then they come on here AND DO THE EXACT SAME DAMN THING.

Like, if Koreans openly talked about NETs in the tone some people have done just on this thread, there'd be an argument minimum. Possibly a fight.

A lot of people claim they're open minded and enjoy new cultures and differences. That's not the case for a significant number.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 04:15:18 PM »
5) and yeah man we get that generalizations and stereotypes are usually not cool or maybe kinda negative, but jesus christ. can we not have a discussion without somebody (you & demartino) demanding empirical date from 3 different quadrants cross-checked with my nut sack??

so there we go....i had some classes cancelled today and figured id jump on here andddddd now i hate everyone.

The thing is, a lot of posters flip their lid at the slightest generalization by Koreans or some preconceived notion they have or them being superficial and obsessed with stuff that doesn't matter or them treating people as outsiders and different and objects for amusement. And then they come on here AND DO THE EXACT SAME DAMN THING.

Like, if Koreans openly talked about NETs in the tone some people have done just on this thread, there'd be an argument minimum. Possibly a fight.

A lot of people claim they're open minded and enjoy new cultures and differences. That's not the case for a significant number.

The difference here is that the Korean government panders to the ignorant generalisations of a bunch of narrow-minded evangelical lobby groups that all foreigners are AIDS invested losers and then goes on to require us to undergo annual HIV tests. Their evidence is 2nd hand, at best, and it leads to flat out concrete beliefs.

My generalisation is based on years of real life observation and even then, it's simply a starting point to ask further questions which lead to, at best, a theory, and never a fact. People in marketing make a living out of this, buddy.

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 07:16:58 PM »
There also seems to be less of a concern for optical care, in Korea. Almost every other kids wears spectacles; I refuse to believe genetics are solely to blame, there's perhaps a genetic predisposition to optical problems, but for the most part it's the result of staring at smartphone and computer screens for hours on end. 

I'd have also included room lighting into why Koreans have bad eyesight.  At home, I never turn on the ceiling lights, because A: I hate them B: They are just too bright and C: They are not relaxing in the least.  But when I look to the other apartments over the way, they're on till late.  Even when I have some occasion with my in-laws at their house, the ceiling lights are on full-whack, by 9pm or later, it's horrible.  Like a kind of torture.  That can't be good for eyes.  It's the same in my classroom, with all three sets of lights on it feels like a tanning salon, so usually I just have the middle strip on.  Two co-teachers leave it be, whereas one teacher always turns all the lights on.

Normal lighting:

SPARKLING WORLD BEST Korean lighting:

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
that's true. every apartment seems to have hospital lighting as the default main lights, which my wife would happily sit under, even after dark. it's horrible. what's that about? i'll put the lamp on, and get complaints it's "dark". well, yes, it's night, we're just about to go to bed, and you are watching tv anyway. unless you're currently trying to locate your vein so you can shoot up, why would you want to sit in blindingly bright light?

same with korean dramas. every scene is insanely bright

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »
that's true. every apartment seems to have hospital lighting as the default main lights, which my wife would happily sit under, even after dark. it's horrible. what's that about? i'll put the lamp on, and get complaints it's "dark". well, yes, it's night, we're just about to go to bed, and you are watching tv anyway. unless you're currently trying to locate your vein so you can shoot up, why would you want to sit in blindingly bright light?

I had to swap out every lightbulb in my apartment when I moved in, it felt like living under a bunch of floodlights.
Similar thing happens in the mornings when I get to school early, and this has been with EVERY school whenever I arrived before my CT. I'd open the blinds, the windows and simply... let the morning light give the room a soft morning glow. Even the greyness and dimness of an overcast sky is soothing and provides enough light. In walks my CT "Oh, so dark!" <click><click><click> (surprise motherf*cker!), and before I can protest every one of the 18 fluorescent bulbs is raping my corneas.

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:14 AM »
Can we all agree that every Korean person is exactly the same?
Waygook.org Post of the Year 2018, 12 Words Or Less.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2018, 08:26:31 AM »
That's weird. Wife said the same thing about seeing food. I genuinely thought she needed an eye test for ages, until other people I know said they experience the same thing

I think "mood lighting" isn't really a thing here. I miss dimmer switches

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »
The difference here is that the...government panders to the ignorant generalisations of a bunch of narrow-minded evangelical lobby groups
Thank goodness none of us have ever been exposed to any of that back home.  :rolleyes:

that all foreigners are AIDS invested losers
What you think they said and what you think Korean people believe, and what they actually said and what Korean people actually believe are different things.

My generalisation is based on years of real life observation and even then

You know, that reasoning goes both ways. And this may shock you, but a lot of Koreans have spent significant time overseas. Also, the average Korean who has never set foot outside of Korea is probably going to be more familiar with our culture than the average NET about to depart for the first time to Korea, thanks to how pop culture diffuses. 

Are you a minority yourself? Do you appreciate when those generalizations are made about you?

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »

:laugh:

In our house, I've won my wife around with the ceiling light/torture/blindness thing, so we always have the lamps on.  Maybe two or three on and she's fine with that.  Even when her friends come around they're fine with lamps on.  My family has always been like that with lamps.  I think also sitting for years with my mates in my bedroom with lava lamps etc on, you just get used to the relaxing nature of not having the light coming from above.  My F-i-L said that Koreans need all the lights on during lunch/dinner so they can see the food.  :undecided:

Haha. Yeah, I keep most of the lights turned off most of the time because I'm too replace the lights and my significant other probably wouldn't like it.

But I do agree with your F-i-L. When I'm eating, best believe I have the lights on bright so I can see my eats.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
The difference here is that the...government panders to the ignorant generalisations of a bunch of narrow-minded evangelical lobby groups
Thank goodness none of us have ever been exposed to any of that back home.  :rolleyes:

that all foreigners are AIDS invested losers
What you think they said and what you think Korean people believe, and what they actually said and what Korean people actually believe are different things.

My generalisation is based on years of real life observation and even then

You know, that reasoning goes both ways. And this may shock you, but a lot of Koreans have spent significant time overseas. Also, the average Korean who has never set foot outside of Korea is probably going to be more familiar with our culture than the average NET about to depart for the first time to Korea, thanks to how pop culture diffuses. 

Are you a minority yourself? Do you appreciate when those generalizations are made about you?

1 - So, expats living in western countries need to get annual drug and HIV tests too, while citizens are
     completely exempt? Good to know.

2 - Well, a minority of Koreans believe it enough to pressure the government into testing us. I don't care what thoughts
     people have, as long as they treat everyone fairly.

3 - What I am is really none of your business. Besides, I don't have to be an artist to tell you the sky is blue and
     newsflash... we're all minorities. Anyone who isn't a Korean in Korea is a minority.

I use generalizations as a starting point to study culture, not people. A person is an individual to which the generalization might not necessarily apply to, whereas a culture is the sum average behaviour of everyone who adopts it; not the same thing.

Offline Daylightful

• Explorer
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »
It's funny that this come up. I often times wear sunglasses, and even more now that I got LASIK. So many teachers and students are so curious as to why I wear sunglasses outside lol.
Maybe it's just not that big of a thing here - and only few people wear haha. It's quite interesting!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
Believing that prospective teachers should get an HIV test upon entry does not mean that they think all foreigners have HIV anymore than a vision test for drivers assumes that all people must be blind. I do agree that doing it every year is wrong. That would apply for any country.

I just find it odd for someone to be so ready to generalize about others yet opposed to it being done to themselves.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
Believing that prospective teachers should get an HIV test upon entry does not mean that they think all foreigners have HIV anymore than a vision test for drivers assumes that all people must be blind. I do agree that doing it every year is wrong. That would apply for any country.

I just find it odd for someone to be so ready to generalize about others yet opposed to it being done to themselves.
On my first day teaching in Korea I was told by the head English teacher, "oh, the principal told me to tell you that you shouldn't touch any of the girl students"

There's definitely a stereotype of westerners being sexual deviants (ironic, considering the amount of love hotels and prostitution here)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »

On my first day teaching in Korea I was told by the head English teacher, "oh, the principal told me to tell you that you shouldn't touch any of the girl students"

There's definitely a stereotype of westerners being sexual deviants (ironic, considering the amount of love hotels and prostitution here)
I don't think love motels are a sign of deviance so much as great marketing in a society where people live with thier parents (and grand patents) a long time.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »

I don't think love motels are a sign of deviance so much as great marketing in a society where people live with thier parents (and grand patents) a long time.
true, for the younger generation. a lot of middle aged people use them too, though. it was always fun to play "spot the cheaters" when walking through a love motel district on the way to my friend's apt

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »

true, for the younger generation. a lot of middle aged people use them too, though. it was always fun to play "spot the cheaters" when walking through a love motel district on the way to my friend's apt

One of the unique architectural features of Korea: the motel parking-lot half-curtain.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2018, 07:09:32 AM »

Are you sure this warning wasn't given to Korean teachers as well?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »

Nah! If they get a little "touchy-feely" with the students then they just get moved to a different school.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »

well, he seemed fairly embarrassed about saying it to me, and the implication of "touching" was definitely "have sex with". it's entirely possible the korean teachers were given the same warning, but do korean teachers also need constant reminders not to have sex with the students?