September 24, 2018, 01:11:01 PM

Author Topic: Is it just me or do Koreans rarely wear sunglasses  (Read 2641 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: Is it just me or do Koreans rarely wear sunglasses
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Believing that prospective teachers should get an HIV test upon entry does not mean that they think all foreigners have HIV anymore than a vision test for drivers assumes that all people must be blind. I do agree that doing it every year is wrong. That would apply for any country.

I just find it odd for someone to be so ready to generalize about others yet opposed to it being done to themselves.
On my first day teaching in Korea I was told by the head English teacher, "oh, the principal told me to tell you that you shouldn't touch any of the girl students"

There's definitely a stereotype of westerners being sexual deviants (ironic, considering the amount of love hotels and prostitution here)
I don't think love motels are a sign of deviance so much as great marketing in a society where people live with thier parents (and grand patents) a long time.
true, for the younger generation. a lot of middle aged people use them too, though. it was always fun to play "spot the cheaters" when walking through a love motel district on the way to my friend's apt

One of the unique architectural features of Korea: the motel parking-lot half-curtain.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2018, 07:09:32 AM »
Believing that prospective teachers should get an HIV test upon entry does not mean that they think all foreigners have HIV anymore than a vision test for drivers assumes that all people must be blind. I do agree that doing it every year is wrong. That would apply for any country.

I just find it odd for someone to be so ready to generalize about others yet opposed to it being done to themselves.
On my first day teaching in Korea I was told by the head English teacher, "oh, the principal told me to tell you that you shouldn't touch any of the girl students"

There's definitely a stereotype of westerners being sexual deviants (ironic, considering the amount of love hotels and prostitution here)

Are you sure this warning wasn't given to Korean teachers as well?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »

Nah! If they get a little "touchy-feely" with the students then they just get moved to a different school.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »

well, he seemed fairly embarrassed about saying it to me, and the implication of "touching" was definitely "have sex with". it's entirely possible the korean teachers were given the same warning, but do korean teachers also need constant reminders not to have sex with the students?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
well, he seemed fairly embarrassed about saying it to me, and the implication of "touching" was definitely "have sex with". it's entirely possible the korean teachers were given the same warning, but do korean teachers also need constant reminders not to have sex with the students?
Well given that rules have changed and what used to be considered innocent contact or simple discipline will not get cops called and lawsuits filed, it is certainly possible that all new teachers get that. So while it is also possible that it was "because you were a foreigner" it is also quite likely that this might be SOP for new teachers from a principal who doesn't want to be on the front page of the newspaper.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2018, 10:34:29 AM »
Well, it's incidents like this that seem fairly common in korea. I've witnessed similar stuff, and I'm sure most others here can share stories

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=255623
(yes, shitty reporting)

You'd be instant fired for anything inappropriate like this in England, and although it's illegal here - and all teachers now it's illegal - it still happens and apparently still goes unpunished

So even if that comment wasn't aimed specifically at me, and was indeed directed at all Korean teachers, the fact it has to be explicitly stated not to sexually harrass students doesn't speak so well of the system (or the teachers)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »
Well, it's incidents like this that seem fairly common in korea. I've witnessed similar stuff, and I'm sure most others here can share stories

(yes, shitty reporting)

You'd be instant fired for anything inappropriate like this in England, and although it's illegal here - and all teachers now it's illegal - it still happens and apparently still goes unpunished

So even if that comment wasn't aimed specifically at me, and was indeed directed at all Korean teachers, the fact it has to be explicitly stated not to sexually harrass students doesn't speak so well of the system (or the teachers)

Meanwhile in the U S of A...

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/ny-dori-myers-bronx-teacher-sentenced-probation-20180912-story.html

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »

(yes, shitty reporting)

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/ny-dori-myers-bronx-teacher-sentenced-probation-20180912-story.html

What kind of sunglasses was she wearing?
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »
The only time I wear them consistently is when I'm playing poker.

Hell yes.

This is a precious nugget of Martin trivia. How the hell did I miss this.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »

(yes, shitty reporting)

Ugh ****** hell

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
:huh: Man, what are you doing? You should've PMed that link to Mr.DeMartino rather than walking around and stealing his thunder!

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »
We did the bomb drill today and the entire school, including staff, had to stand outside while the principal gave a speech. I caused quite a stir as the students clapped and cheered, commenting on my sunglasses (which I wear whenever the sun is shining, so almost every morning I come to school and afternoon when I leave I'm wearing them). It's a large school, with quite a few staff members, all of whom stood in the glaring sun shielding their eyes with hands, sheets of paper and a cardboard box (in my CT's case).

I stood there and felt like some crazy weirdo for actually wearing sunglasses in the glaring sun. It seemed quite symbolic that in South Korea, the logical solution to a problem isn't always the "right" solution and that while many foreigners can understand Korea's "right" way, they can never accept it.

So, my mind started drifting to less abstract issues. Why do many Koreans forego sunglasses? I ask this as I've observed many Koreans, decked to the nines in the summer heat, eye-shielding till sunset, but not wearing sunglasses. Don't get me wrong, I see many Koreans wearing sunglasses, particularly indoors <sigh>, but for the most part, it's nowhere near as popular as I thought it would be, particularly as Korea has one of the most glaring suns I've ever seen and well suited sunglasses instantly make almost anyone look cooler.
The observation became apparent during my last EPIK teacher trip. Almost every NET put on their sunglasses the minute they got off the bus. Only one Korean teacher brought a pair.

The only answer I can come up with, sunglasses make you stand out too much and traditionally, standing out from the crowd is still a bit too uncomfortable.

Wearing sunglasses makes you look like you think you're cool.  It also makes you seem distant.  A girl here wearing them seems stuck up or so folks think.  Back home too.  Lots of folks only wear them if they're cycling, rising a motorbike, driving, etc. 

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »
:huh: Man, what are you doing? You should've PMed that link to Mr.DeMartino rather than walking around and stealing his thunder!

Noted.
I'll try harder next time.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
I don't like it when people wear them in poker games. Look everyone in the eye when you're facing off against them. Have the balls to look the other players in the eye.

If I came in with a VR helmet that covered my whole head and had a camera on the front, people would think I was a total psycho, but hey, that's part of the strategy right?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2018, 01:28:15 PM »
I don't like it when people wear them in poker games. Look everyone in the eye when you're facing off against them. Have the balls to look the other players in the eye.

If I came in with a VR helmet that covered my whole head and had a camera on the front, people would think I was a total psycho, but hey, that's part of the strategy right?
i'm gonna start wearing a balaclava when i play poker

Offline tylerthegloob

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »

And sunglasses?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »

Can only hope that the ending is a pleasurable as the start
The confidence is the balaclava
I'm sure you baffle 'em straight

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2018, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline tylerthegloob

• Veteran

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »