November 20, 2018, 01:17:04 PM

Author Topic: Can I apply for E2 outside of my home country (UK)  (Read 523 times)

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
Can I apply for E2 outside of my home country (UK)
« on: September 10, 2018, 08:27:41 PM »
So I am applying right now but there are less jobs than there used to be and all the ASAP jobs want people already in country.  Most recruiters want me to wait until March hiring period and apply a few months before then.

However I really want to get working before then, I can come to Korea on a tourist visa and I have a place to stay and a friend's.  I can then apply and interview in person an then I was thinking I can go to the Korean Consulate in Japan instead of London for getting documents sorted and E2 sorted.

Is that possible these days?

Thanks

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Can I apply for E2 outside of my home country (UK)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:32:41 PM »
I would of course have my CRB already and have it notarized here and apostiled by the Korean Consulate in London before flying out.  That way I'd have it in hand when in Korea.

All my other docs are already notarised and apostilled etc.

I have 10 years TEFL experience 8.5 of it in Korea and good references.

Online m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Yup, no problem especially with the consulates in Tokyo or Osaka. Processing can be as little as 3 days; might want to plan for a week there if you can.

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 10:22:45 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply. 

Is that true and up to date info?  From here (UK) it is currently a 3 month process so I would be surprised why it is not from Japan...

I'm not saying you are not correct, I've just been out of the industry for 5 years and am no longer sure about these matters.

I'm hip with having a week in Toyko / Fukuoka if needed.

Online Vee94

• Waygookin
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »

Is that true and up to date info?  From here (UK) it is currently a 3 month process so I would be surprised why it is not from Japan...

Hi, I know I'm not the person you replied to but I applied from the UK last December and had a friend do a visa run to Japan a couple months back. As far as I can remember the process took a few days for my friend.

As far as my visa application in the UK it took just one week. I went there in person and applied and then went back in person a week later and picked it up, as far as I know that is the standard. Is there a backlog? If you apply by post I know it takes longer but 3 months seems crazy long....

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 05:06:27 PM »
Hey there Vee94

I just mean I'm told now the whole process from interview to get job, to sign contract to get paperwork apostilled and to get E2 from Consulate takes 3 months now...  not from sending to Korean Consulate and then getting visa, I know that is about 10-14 days aprox or even a week.

I guess technically it should be the same either way from here or Korea... as long as I arrive with all my documents ready and apostilled etc.

My thinking is I'll have an advantage of being able to apply and interview in person and of course they don't have to pay my airfare to get there -another reason why I think 'already in Korea' is preferred?

The last reason is I'll obviously be applying for hire now // asap positions otherwise I'l have to wait until March and I prefer teaching to my current job and need a change sooner than that lol

Online m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply. 

If you're applying with schools/hagwons directly and in country, you can get a job within a couple of weeks if they like you. The hagwon director taking your documents to their immigration office to get your Visa Issuance Number can take 7-10 days, and depending on what kind of holidays are going on, maybe a little longer. Once you have that number you're good to jet to Japan.

Whole process from interview to visa complete in Japan, I would say maybe three or four weeks.
ETA: If you're interviewing with a school directly and have all your documents with you in country

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 06:44:30 AM »
Oh, thanks for that m.corless

Hmm, so my only real reason to fly to Korea and job search would be

A.  Benefits of them seeing me in person.

B.  They save on airfare from the UK obviously a good selling point (but I'd want the Japan airfare.)

C. Recruiters so far are wanting me to apply for March / end of Feb jobs.  They advise - and could be it's true from the ads I've seen on Dave's - is that the ASAP / hiring next month jobs all seem to want people already in country.

So I do that and I lose out 600 on airfare but I gain quicker employment (probably.)

I really do not want to spend winter here and wait until March.  It won't break my heart, but it's not my personal preference and I really am ready to be in SK soon.  No major reason other than I just feel like it.  But I really feel like it :)

Thanks all for your replies so far :)

Online Vee94

• Waygookin
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 11:58:41 AM »

I just mean I'm told now the whole process from interview to get job, to sign contract to get paperwork apostilled and to get E2 from Consulate takes 3 months now...  not from sending to Korean Consulate and then getting visa, I know that is about 10-14 days aprox or even a week.

Oh right, yeah that sounds about right haha. I was a December GOE intake, and my recruiter had stuff earlier than that but I wasn't available. I interviewed on November 2nd and flew out on the 25th of that month. Luckily I had all my documents prepared.

I went with Korean Horizons, not sure if you've checked them out already but I would drop Alistair an email if you haven't, he usually has some positions available late Sept- early Dec I believe. (Assuming you're not looking for Seoul and don't mind potential rural placements).

Coming in person is definitely doable I know a few who have done this within the last year, but of course there is the small risk of not finding somewhere and having spent the money on airfare etc. as you mentioned previously I think.

Edit: typo and other small changes
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:02:09 PM by Vee94 »

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »
Yeah downside could be it ends up just an expensive holiday and returning home to no job lol

Plus side is not waiting until March, as hire next month / November jobs want people in-country, saves a mil on recruiter fees and 1mil + on a flight for them.

Ah well I've sent off for my CRB etc, then need to get it notarised and apostilled so cannot move until then anyhow, see what comes in in the meantime and make a decision then...