February 22, 2019, 12:06:40 PM

Author Topic: Why do Koreans always jump out of their skin?  (Read 2661 times)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: Why do Koreans always jump out of their skin?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 03:21:35 PM »
An intriguing case.

Hate to degrade the conversation, but maybe they think you are a prostitute?

No, they tend to behave differently whenever they think I'm a prostitute. Fear isn't their go-to emotion, lol. Whether or not my hair is up or down doesn't figure into that at all, either. xD

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »
^ yes, this

exactly this

co-workers, too

even students. the other some pesky kids were waiting outside the room, trying to make me jump. i walked out (not knowing they were there), they all jumped instead. gg

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 03:39:35 PM »
I'm not as concerned by the jumping, but the gasping really pushes my buttons..

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
Confirmation bias. If you have that "Koreans are always doing things differently" mindset and get worked up about it, you'll notice it more and more.

Nonsense...

But anyway....

Confirmation bias is real and this post smacks of it. I could basically pull random weird/slightly negative actions out of a hat, match them with the phrase "Notice how Koreans..." and people would agree and think its a real thing.

Anyone notice how Koreans always scratch their eyebrows?
Anyone notice Koreans yawning during movies?
Is it just me or does Korean Sprite taste different?

Culture shock+confirmation bias can mess with people

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
wonder why

Obviously excessive jumpiness does not indicate a healthy psyche.

Western shrinks would have a field day in Korea. 

Exagerrated startle response would seem to indicate buried trauma.

PTSD Symptoms: The Exaggerated Startle Response

If you notice yourself getting startled fairly easily but you havenít had a recent traumatic event, then it is possible that you endured a relationally traumatic childhood.
https://jreidtherapy.com/ptsd-startle-response/

And it is culturally-linked:

Increased startle may be a biomarker of stress responsiveness that can be a persevering consequence of early trauma exposure during childhood.

A growing number of studies [1, 2] indicate that inner-city, low income, African Americans are at especially high risk for both exposure to traumatic events and PTSD
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2852033/

I can fully believe that Korea has a high levels of PTSD due to how their society is and how kids are raised.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:35:27 PM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
Confirmation bias. If you have that "Koreans are always doing things differently" mindset and get worked up about it, you'll notice it more and more.

Nonsense...

But anyway....

Confirmation bias is real and this post smacks of it. I could basically pull random weird/slightly negative actions out of a hat, match them with the phrase "Notice how Koreans..." and people would agree and think its a real thing.

Anyone notice how Koreans always scratch their eyebrows?
Anyone notice Koreans yawning during movies?
Is it just me or does Korean Sprite taste different?

Culture shock+confirmation bias can mess with people

On the Sprite thing, I don't know about Korean Sprite, but there are often subtle differences in brand name foodstuffs made in different factories, even if the recipe is the same. Ingredients are a bit different in different places. Even water makes a difference!

I used to live on the Canada-US border, and Pepsi is noticeably different between New Brunswick and Maine!

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »
Anyone notice how Koreans always scratch their eyebrows? No
Anyone notice Koreans yawning during movies? No
Is it just me or does Korean Sprite taste different? No
Anyone notice how Koreans jump out of their skin more than other nationalities? Yes

Ever notice how Italians talk with their hands a lot or young American women are always saying 'like.'? It's not that weird a concept that certain nationalities have different personal traits.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:55:21 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 04:52:34 AM »
I lived in South Korea for 5 years and I never saw anyone get started at me just for being a white foreigner. I never even really saw anyone stare at me.

And Korean Sprite does taste bad, like most Korean lemon-lime soda it tastes kind of like the smell of grass for some reason. Korean 7-Up is fine but really hard to find. American and Japanese Sprite are way better than Korean Sprite, even Chinese Sprite is way better. Sodas taste different everywhere around the world because of the local water used and because of catering to local tastes. In the US Pepsi tastes slightly different in every state, it's fizzier in the South and sweeter in New England. In Korea the usual motive for food products is "how can we make the cheapest food/drink with the worst ingredients that won't kill anyone."
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 05:05:21 AM »
jumping, but the gasping really pushes my buttons..

It is annoying, yes.

Not sure if koreans are aware how stupid it looks to the world at large.
Catch my drift?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 05:25:33 AM »
I lived in South Korea for 5 years and I never saw anyone get started at me just for being a white foreigner. I never even really saw anyone stare at me.

not for being a foreigner, i don't think anyone is saying that

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »
Anyone notice how Koreans always scratch their eyebrows? No
Anyone notice Koreans yawning during movies? No
Is it just me or does Korean Sprite taste different? No
Anyone notice how Koreans jump out of their skin more than other nationalities? Yes

Ever notice how Italians talk with their hands a lot or young American women are always saying 'like.'? It's not that weird a concept that certain nationalities have different personal traits.

There's tendencies, and then there's stuff that strongly suggests confirmation bias. For example, subway pushing has been talked about forever. That means there's something there.

This on the other hand just popped up, started by a source of dubious impartiality and certain tendencies, lacks data, has a behavior of the type you wouldnt think to remember a lot back home.

The point is that peopld are highly susceptible to confirmation bias and suggestion. It's important not to fall for what is not all that dissimilar from a parlor trick used by "psychics", salesmen, and other flim-flam artists. Not saying people who do this are, they have thd best intentions, just that it's the same kind of mental trick that happens.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2018, 06:19:15 AM »

And Korean Sprite does taste bad, like most Korean lemon-lime soda it tastes kind of like the smell of grass for some reason. Korean 7-Up is fine but really hard to find. American and Japanese Sprite are way better than Korean Sprite, even Chinese Sprite is way better. Sodas taste different everywhere around the world because of the local water used and because of catering to local tastes. In the US Pepsi tastes slightly different in every state, it's fizzier in the South and sweeter in New England. In Korea the usual motive for food products is "how can we make the cheapest food/drink with the worst ingredients that won't kill anyone."

Regarding the soda stuff, yes there are subtle differences (or larger ones at times) between regions. However age, temperature, etc. also affect taste.

I submit that for most of us, if you did a blind taste test of 3 cans of Korean Sprite aged 1, 6, and 12 months and 3 cans of Sprite from back home aged the same duration, that our accuracy at figuring out which came from which country would approach random chance. In fact, if you did the same experiment but with the same Sprite and simply told people that some of the testers were from Korea, people would say "That's the Korean Sprite!" Same with a lot of other things, although in some cases there really is an easily discernable difference (like Cheetos).

I mean, taste is like what, at least 25% visual? People's tastes will change not based on any change in the food itself, other than it's presentation- lighting, accessories, setting, music, who they're eating it with, packaging, etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:13:02 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2018, 07:05:39 AM »
Now if enough people tell me that they have other stories of random German strangers offering their unasked for opinions in the street, then you'd think it was a German trait.   

Can confirm. Wife is half-German.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2018, 08:08:57 AM »
You are talking absolute nonsense again as shown by your three feeble examples.... 'scratching their eyebrows'??  Who the hell would use that as an example......   

That was my point. You could literally post anything here as ridiculous as that and people would agree, either because of the pre-existing prediliction for negative content about Korea OR agreeableness/suggestability. In fact you could post something and then a few months later post something that contradicts it completely (again framed negatively) and the very same people would agree with it.

I agree that there are certain things that happen in different countries, which is why I mentioned subway pushing (and there are others). This on the other hand seems very likely to be a combination of confirmation bias and sampling.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 08:57:10 AM »
No.  Stop suggesting 'Koreans being startled easily' and 'Koreans scratching their eyebrows' are equal examples of confirmation bias, when they are not.  In your alternative reality, you've found some nonsense extreme connection between the two and consider them equal examples.  Stop pushing this like it is some stupid shtick we've developed.

Dude, if Cyanea had started some thread with the eyebrow title, the haters would agree (as would some non-haters who would fall into suggestability) and I'd be on here saying "But back home..." and blah blah blah. Like I said, you could literally post two threads that contradict each other.

"Ever notice how Koreans are always staring at you on the subway?"
"Ever notice how Koreans just close their eyes on the subway and sit there?"

"Ever notice how Koreans always talk loudly when eating?"
"How come no one at my work talks during lunch???"

And so on and so on.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »

"Ever notice how Koreans are always staring at you on the subway?" yes
"Ever notice how Koreans just close their eyes on the subway and sit there?" yes (it's called 'sleep')

"Ever notice how Koreans always talk loudly when eating?" yes
"How come no one at my work talks during lunch???" common complaint among ESL teachers in public schools
they don't have to be mutually exclusive. nobody is saying all korean people jump all of the time. people are saying that, in their experience, they have noticed it occur more in korea than in other countries/cultures.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
they don't have to be mutually exclusive. nobody is saying all korean people jump all of the time. people are saying that, in their experience, they have noticed it occur more in korea than in other countries/cultures.

And I'm saying that there's a definite probability that such things are confirmation bias and suggestability. Like I said, I think we can agree that certain ones that have been bandied about since ESL was a thing here are real, but I think we should maybe be a bit cautious on ones that just pop up all of a sudden and then we go "You know what? I HAVE noticed that." This is especially true because we have nothing approaching data on this and it's highly improbable that people being surprised back home would register as significant or that we'd attribute it to culture. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:55:00 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »
To be fair, the Korean Jumping in Fright thing has been brought up on here a bunch of times. I remember posting in a thread about it. I've also  heard people bring it up in real life too.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »
yeah i've discussed this in real life before. and asked my wife / previous co-workers why they're so jumpy
this thread definitely made me think, "hey, this isn't just me who experiences this, then"

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
To be fair, the Korean Jumping in Fright thing has been brought up on here a bunch of times. I remember posting in a thread about it. I've also  heard people bring it up in real life too.

To return the fairness, it has been mentioned in the context of the poster being either large in stature or dark-skinned. In that context, I think there's real truth to it.