March 19, 2019, 01:43:10 PM

Author Topic: Help Please: Sleepy, hungry and bored Middle Schoolers  (Read 1648 times)

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
Re: Help Please: Sleepy, hungry and bored Middle Schoolers
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Everything you hint at is yet another Euro/college kid who thinks they know the world because they got their teaching masters and Europe is smart, America is stupid. Just a bunch of talk from someone who has never really been in the shit.

6,000+ posts (plus Christ knows how many on Dave's) and has anybody ever seen any teaching material from you?  Any lesson plans?  Anything at all?

To use one of your favourite catchphrases, "what have you done?"  :wink:

says the guy who wrote a long multiple-quote post to prove absolutely nothing again, except his lack of knowledge and inferiority with this subject.  replying with long posts retracting what you said earlier or just posting condescending nonsense to prove nothing but to try and win an internet argument for yourself is kind of sad.  i doubt you'd got under sanderb's skin, where it seems to be the other way around, obviously.

Haha yep.

Online SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2019, 01:12:44 PM »
Yeah, and people before knew more than now. This is the first generation that's dumber than the previous. Perhaps there's a link.

Omg. I should not reply but really, you have a quality about you that's just disagreeable with my morning Earl grey. ;D

Stop regurgitating tabloid headlines without having read the data. You are a teacher for crying out loud! The Ed. office literally states that we should teach our students how to discern real data from fake news. We are not getting dumber, instead we are 20 pnts. smarter than our grandparents (1950) the slowing down of the increase has to do with new measurements and health.

It's called the Flynn effect.
[These results supported previous estimates of the Flynn effect and its robustness...]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4152423/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:30:51 PM by SanderB »
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2019, 01:17:05 PM »
I actually don't get why someone giving a valid idea caused such a thing.

It might not work depending on your kids, sure...doesn't mean it's not worth a try.

Things like this fully depend on the kids. I have some classes who are game for a laugh and can kind of see that something is a bit silly and they're fully up for it. We all laugh together that it's kind of dopey but then it's really fun.

Other classes at the same school no less....are like nah.

Never means it's a bad idea to try it out.

Whether it works or not it's so counter productive to just say not to do something because you think you know teenagers. < these teachers who try and act "cool" and make their lessons so...are actually the lamest ones.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2019, 01:26:50 PM »
Yeah, and people before knew more than now. This is the first generation that's dumber than the previous. Perhaps there's a link.

Omg. I should not reply but really, you have a quality about you that's just disagreeable with my morning Earl grey. ;D

Stop regurgitating tabloid headlines without having read the data. You are a teacher for crying out loud! The Ed. office literally states that we should teach our students how to discern real data from fake news. We are not getting dumber, instead we are 30 pnts. smarter than our grandparents (1950) the slowing down of the increase has to do with new measurements and health.

It's called the Flynn effect.
[These results supported previous estimates of the Flynn effect and its robustness...]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4152423/

He's probably not talking about IQs but about what people know. There has definitely been a shift in education away from fact retention towards critical thinking, psychological skills etc...which might mean people have less general knowledge nowadays compared to the past.

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
this is generational, we didn't have a choice how we learnt when we were younger either, we just got on with it. 

to quote yourself...

Read the preceding and subsequent paragraphs, genius.

nowadays, phones and the internet, in small cases, can help learning but in most cases are a problem and block learning for whatever reason as with the OP's problem.

now call me old-fashioned, but we didn't have phones in the 80s.  it is a generational thing for kids to have the distraction of their phones.  to quote one of your putdowns...

I'm sorry your reading comprehension sucks.

:laugh:

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2019, 02:14:07 PM »
I am meant to be doing reading and writing with them and memorising texts in exam season... then my boss says try small speaking lessons as well. I am going to be having these students anywhere from 50 minutes to 2 and a half hours 5 x a week and I am dreading them...

in short, mix it up.  but first, the phones are yours.  you could also try using stamps for participation.  try a speaking class one class, the next class a reading activity, then a food activity using these pictures from other country's school food, pre-teach the difficult words, print out the pictures, give them out and the students write down five food from the picture, does it tasty, would they like to eat it, etc.  they swap around and get a new country, you can then go through each one and add extra info...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/school-lunches-around-the-world_n_6746164

-for students to understand reading they should be able to infer, predict, visualize or summarize from a text.  i found visualizing to be the easiest one, as you can find a piece and get the students to fill out a page like this...

and then go through it...  i wrote my own stories as I could easily get their level, as i found plenty of stuff online that didn't seem interesting or at the right level for them.

-you could have a golden bell style quiz where you give the students have white boards and after reading you have questions that they write the answers on the boards.  if the text is long you can break it in to two parts.

-for memorizing the text it's kind of pointless breaking down the text like a Korean teacher, but if it's straight-forward memorizing, have a contest, depending on the size of the class, where you learn the text too, see if the students can remember more than you.  just various things like this can break the monotony for the students and also for you.