March 26, 2019, 08:20:07 PM

Author Topic: What's It Like Living in Jeonju  (Read 1545 times)

Offline ericadeary

• Newgookin
What's It Like Living in Jeonju
« on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
Hi. I will be moving to Jeonju (전주) soon and wanted to hear other peoples experiences and opinions. It could be about anything - where to buy a motorcycle, the hagwons, the food, hiking, free Korean teaching classes in the area (I know some Korean), how people drive, public transportation, etc.

Please & thank you :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:35:36 PM by ericadeary »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
Re: What's It Like Living in Jeonju
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
Your entire diet will consist of bibimbap and chocopies, with a dash of mushroom makgeolli and moju.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 07:55:32 AM »
Had a friend who lived there.  I use to visit sometimes.  The Hanok Village there draws a lot of tourists from all over Korea.  It has many amenities and features of other cities, even a few foreign restaurants now I hear.  Driving, a mix of too timid and too aggressive.  Folks slamming on the brakes at the last minute, not using a blinker, and then slowly turning.  (But that's everywhere here.  So, avoid the furthest right lane.  It means everyone drives slow and clusters in the fast lane.) 

Public transport I am told sucks compared to Seoul.  If you are public school and going all over the city, try to get a car if you know you will be there for 2 to 3 years.  (Rainy weather and cold weather suck being on a bike, though some do it.)  If you are hakwon and live near your school, get a bike and ride when the weather is good. 

I am far south and haven't gone there for a while.  Usually just bypass and get up to Seoul.  I liked it to spend a weekend.  I don't know how I'd like it to live.

Online theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:59:50 AM »
Your entire diet will consist of bibimbap and chocopies, with a dash of mushroom makgeolli and moju.
Haha, true this. And hanboks seem mandatory