February 22, 2019, 10:18:36 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Is remaining childless irresponsible? Elon Musk on Demographics  (Read 7964 times)

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
Re: Is remaining childless irresponsible? Elon Musk on Demographics
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 10:25:36 AM »

Of the 18 students I taught last year, 4 have gone to university abroad: Australia, USA,  2 to Canada. All got scholarships and 1 had a full ride. 17 wrote the IGCSE exam and all passed. The only teacher who can claim that. 

There are situations where not having kids is the most responsible thing a person can do. Such is mine.

Okay so you posted this to demonstrate the feeling of accomplishment of educating the next generation. The point is SOMEBODY decided to have kids. Somebody decided to produce new human beings for you to teach. The same with you being an uncle. Your brother or sister decided to have kids. Therefore you have the chance to be a great uncle.

I'm not saying your attitude is wrong (i as a teacher get super frustrated with idiotic behavior) but if everyone makes choices similar to yours then that is when civilization begins to collapse.

It really is as simple as this - no children no future.

I am perfectly fine with this.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »
People laugh, but robots.

Not at all! Just go to Google and type in the keywords "Japan Robots Care" and there will be oodles of hits about how robots are the future of elderly care, the potential saviour of the coming employment crisis etc etc.

For example, this.

No doubt they're going to put prostitutes out of a job as well before very long.

It's just around the corner.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »

Of the 18 students I taught last year, 4 have gone to university abroad: Australia, USA,  2 to Canada. All got scholarships and 1 had a full ride. 17 wrote the IGCSE exam and all passed. The only teacher who can claim that. 

There are situations where not having kids is the most responsible thing a person can do. Such is mine.

Okay so you posted this to demonstrate the feeling of accomplishment of educating the next generation. The point is SOMEBODY decided to have kids. Somebody decided to produce new human beings for you to teach. The same with you being an uncle. Your brother or sister decided to have kids. Therefore you have the chance to be a great uncle.

I'm not saying your attitude is wrong (i as a teacher get super frustrated with idiotic behavior) but if everyone makes choices similar to yours then that is when civilization begins to collapse.

In this the ' humans are the most evil thing on the planet and we deserve to die out' line? Please don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning.   :shocked:

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 10:49:15 AM »
People laugh, but robots.

Not at all! Just go to Google and type in the keywords "Japan Robots Care" and there will be oodles of hits about how robots are the future of elderly care, the potential saviour of the coming employment crisis etc etc.

For example, this.
No doubt they're going to put prostitutes out of a job as well before very long.
Even romantic partners/homemakers/companions are no longer exclusively the domain of us meatbags!

And all for the low low price of a NET's monthly salary!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4049486/The-2500-holographic-girlfriend-double-virtual-PA-send-miss-messages-away.html

In this the ' humans are the most evil thing on the planet and we deserve to die out' line? Please don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning.   :shocked:
I prefer to think of the issue as more like "We would all be a lot better off if there were a whole lot fewer of us."
Then I ponder the most effective and least unethical method in which to accomplish this.
And then, if there's time, I spend a few minutes contemplating what a horrible human being I am.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:53:10 AM by kyndo »

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 11:35:09 AM »
I prefer to think of the issue as more like "We would all be a lot better off if there were a whole lot fewer of us."

It's funny but the people who seem to come out with this line most often are usually also the ones most in favour of open borders.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »

I hate people who say this. "Humans are the worst. We don't deserve a future."

Then start with yourself then, seriously. I'm quite happy living on earth, going out with friends and minding my own goddamn business. If you're depressed, fair play, I empathise, but you don't need to drag the rest of our species in with you.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »
It's funny but the people who seem to come out with this line most often are usually also the ones most in favour of open borders.
Stop thinking so small: I meant population reduction on a global scale!
   I mean, sure, you can shuffle a few million immigrants into the US or wherever, but that's not going to solve the ticking time-bomb of global overpopulation.

It's a pretty self evident fact: until we develop the technology or the morality to more effectively distribute global resources and thereby increase Earth's carrying capacity, regional population pressures are going to guarantee the continuation of poverty, conflict, and misery. It's inefficiency that's killing us, not inability.

Couple this with our past and current unwillingness to reduce our standard of living for the benefit of future generations, and you have the perfect explanation why so much of our planet is and will continue to be a total armpit. A couple billion fewer souls will definitely help remedy this problem until we can fully apply ourselves to a social or technological solution. A post-scarcity future that hasn't completely ruined the planet might be unlikely at this point, but it isn't out of the picture yet!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:17:08 PM by kyndo »

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 12:34:39 PM »
Stop thinking so small: I meant population reduction on a global scale!
   I mean, sure, you can shuffle a few million immigrants into the US or wherever, but that's not going to solve the ticking time-bomb of global overpopulation.

It's a pretty self evident fact: until we develop the technology or the morality to more effectively distribute global resources and thereby increase Earth's carrying capacity, regional population pressures are going to guarantee the continuation of poverty, conflict, and misery. It's inefficiency that's killing us, not inability.

Couple this with our past and current unwillingness to reduce our standard of living for the benefit of future generations, and you have the perfect explanation why so much of our planet is and will continue to be a total armpit. A couple billion fewer souls will definitely help remedy this problem until we can fully apply ourselves to a social or technological solution. A post-scarcity future that hasn't completely ruined the planet might be unlikely at this point, but it isn't out of the picture yet!
\
Yeah but it's just funny that with some people, more people into a specific country - always good, more people into the world - always bad. You don't think there's a slight paradox?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Yeah but it's just funny that with some people, more people into a specific country - always good, more people into the world - always bad. You don't think there's a slight paradox?

Could be, depending on why they feel more people = good.
     For example, most developed countries want a steadily growing population in order to maintain the giant Ponzi scheme that is modern economics. As most first world countries have drastically falling birthrates (some beyond the threshold of population maintenance), they need immigration to make up the difference.
    Others encourage open borders because they see their own country (rightly or wrongly) as having more than enough resources to sustain a much higher population, so why not invite over those poor folk from countries that are less fortunate?

I feel like these are both rational reasons, but neither will fix the long-term issue of overpopulation: open borders will only postpone the inevitable. Without reducing birthrates in undeveloped countries, it will be only a matter of time before they overshoot their carrying capacities again. The world needs education, investment, infrastructure development, and social constraints on reproduction. Or, you know, a good infertility plague.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
The Japanese are hostile to immigration. I think it is safe to say that. Even they, however, are now opening their doors to unskilled immigration. They do not want to but they are forced into this position because of the lack of fertility among their native population.

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/2156576/japan-needs-more-unskilled-foreign-workers-they-cant-bring

Despite what Elon Musk said in the video it does seem as though global population will increase going forward. It will be driven almost exclusively by Africa.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/jul/29/un-world-population-prospects-the-2015-revision-9-7-billion-2050-fertility

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »
It just so happens South Korea is hitting the headlines for the truly exceptionally low birth rates there again. If this goes on there isn't going to be any kind of job market teaching kids in the future there.

It also appears men and women are blaming each other for the phenomenon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-45201725

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 03:45:09 PM »
It just so happens South Korea is hitting the headlines for the truly exceptionally low birth rates there again. If this goes on there isn't going to be any kind of job market teaching kids in the future there.

It also appears men and women are blaming each other for the phenomenon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-45201725

From a purely selfish point of view, this will hopefully mean more government benefits for those who have them  :smiley:

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »
From a purely selfish point of view, this will hopefully mean more government benefits for those who have them  :smiley:
:laugh:Nice.

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 09:26:18 PM »

No, man. Nothing as heavy as that. It's really quite simple. Once I'm dead I don't care what happens to the planet. And neither does anyone else, not 1 of the 7+ billion people on this pale blue dot.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
China a pushing women to have more babies. Will they have more success than SK?

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »

No, man. Nothing as heavy as that. It's really quite simple. Once I'm dead I don't care what happens to the planet. And neither does anyone else, not 1 of the 7+ billion people on this pale blue dot.

People who have kids would argue that they do care  (now, obviously not after they're dead) about the state of the world after they've gone . For their kids' sake. Which is one of the reasons why society in general thinks it's a good idea to have kids. So people are less likely to f..ck things up thinking they won't be around to clean up the mess.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:14:03 PM by eggieguffer »

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »
Well Kolao I thought you said you were a good uncle? You don't care about what happens to the planet after you are gone?

OK. Then lets exploit every resource in the planet. Lets release massive amounts of pollution. Lets drive animals extinct because we can make a few bob selling their body parts for Chinese medicine.

Interesting this could be another consequence of remaining childless. You don't have a stake in the future so you simply don't care about it.

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
Well Kolao I thought you said you were a good uncle? You don't care about what happens to the planet after you are gone?

OK. Then lets exploit every resource in the planet. Lets release massive amounts of pollution. Lets drive animals extinct because we can make a few bob selling their body parts for Chinese medicine.

Interesting this could be another consequence of remaining childless. You don't have a stake in the future so you simply don't care about it.

Annnnnd once again it would appear critical reading skills have gone by the wayside.

Query: How can one care about anything where you are dead?

I await with breathless anticipation your learned response.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »

Annnnnd once again it would appear critical reading skills have gone by the wayside.

Query: How can one care about anything where you are dead?

I await with breathless anticipation your learned response.

Your use of the present tense confused things. - 'I am perfectly fine with this.' if you'd said 'I will be fine with the world ending' and nobody else will care about it after they're dead', it would have been clearer.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 09:49:51 AM »
Thanos did nothing wrong!