February 22, 2019, 09:55:16 PM

Author Topic: Is remaining childless irresponsible? Elon Musk on Demographics  (Read 7959 times)

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Is remaining childless irresponsible? Elon Musk on Demographics
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
Ironically, I'm on holiday in Europe right now and this very morning I turned up at a hotel I'd booked to be told no kids allowed. No reason given, just hotel policy. That would definitely not happen to a singleton

Could possibly an alcohol serving related thing. I once stayed at a hotel that, because they served alcohol at that hotel, NO ONE under 18 was allowed to stay there, no exceptions. Like, they wouldn't even let family's stay there, if their kids were under 18.
I was 16 or 17 at the time, and when I booked the hotel, none of those warnings showed up. Luckily, my mum's friend lived nearby, so I was able to just crash there :D

Don't pretty much all hotels serve alcohol?

I frequently stay at one's that don't / haven't looked like they do at least.
So, I'm not sure. :O

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2018, 02:46:08 PM »
Ironically, I'm on holiday in Europe right now and this very morning I turned up at a hotel I'd booked to be told no kids allowed. No reason given, just hotel policy. That would definitely not happen to a singleton

Could possibly an alcohol serving related thing. I once stayed at a hotel that, because they served alcohol at that hotel, NO ONE under 18 was allowed to stay there, no exceptions. Like, they wouldn't even let family's stay there, if their kids were under 18.
I was 16 or 17 at the time, and when I booked the hotel, none of those warnings showed up. Luckily, my mum's friend lived nearby, so I was able to just crash there :D

But anyway we've stayed at dozens of hotels with our kid that had bars and served alcohol.

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »

But anyway we've stayed at dozens of hotels with our kid that had bars and served alcohol.

Yeah, I imagine many families have. But, they may have had an incident in the past that involved children and alcohol, so they made it easier and just banned under 18s :o

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
I recently stayed at an adult-only hotel which didn't even sell any alcohol. What's that about, then?

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »
Love motel?

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »
I don't like kids. Thus, never wanted any, never had any. That doesn't make me selfish, it makes me smart. I never smoked for the same reason and in my generation even the Flintstones smoked!
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »
I don't like kids. Thus, never wanted any, never had any. That doesn't make me selfish, it makes me smart. I never smoked for the same reason and in my generation even the Flintstones smoked!

Going into Baskin Robbins to order a chocolate ice-cream, while the person behind you orders strawberry doesn't make you smart.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »

Going into Baskin Robbins to order a chocolate ice-cream, while the person behind you orders strawberry doesn't make you smart.

On a side note, Baskin Robbins' vanilla is actually enjoyable. I know it seems strange to order a plain flavor there, but man is that thing rich.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
I don't like kids. Thus, never wanted any, never had any

You probably only have a job because other people had kids and employed you to educate them.

Yeah I know. Itís a common attitude. Plenty of people think like you.

Thus we are facing economic and demographic oblivion.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2018, 07:41:41 AM »

You probably only have a job because other people had kids and employed you to educate them.

The continual exponential global population would put the lie to that.
   Eventually even those first-world cultures obsessively fixated with racial purity (lookin' at you Korea/Japan) will cave and allow immigration, at which point the demographic crisis will be resolved (sure, they will face a *huge* host of new problems, but that's a whole different topic).

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »

After having read this 3 or 4 times, I still have absolutely no idea what it means.

On another note, ordering chocolate while the person behind you orders strawberry would make you smart if you were allergic to strawberries! Or if the strawberry was laced with cyanide and you figured it out that someone was trying to do you in because you're James Bond and just that cool!
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2018, 05:39:55 PM »

The continual exponential global population would put the lie to that.
   Eventually even those first-world cultures obsessively fixated with racial purity (lookin' at you Korea/Japan) will cave and allow immigration, at which point the demographic crisis will be resolved (sure, they will face a *huge* host of new problems, but that's a whole different topic).

Yes, the latest generation are essentially showing how little they really do care about racial purity, when push comes to shove (literally)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2018, 11:43:36 PM »
Eventually even those first-world cultures obsessively fixated with racial purity (lookin' at you Korea/Japan) will cave and allow immigration

Maybe they won't.

Maybe they'll just enjoy being less crowded.
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2018, 02:06:26 AM »
Eventually even those first-world cultures obsessively fixated with racial purity (lookin' at you Korea/Japan) will cave and allow immigration

Maybe they won't.

Maybe they'll just enjoy being less crowded.

As I'm sure you know, it's a bit more complicated than just having fewer people around. You need  a certain number people of working age to pay for everything.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2018, 04:48:56 AM »
As I'm sure you know, it's a bit more complicated than just having fewer people around. You need  a certain number people of working age to pay for everything.

FALSE: the idea that you have to bring in ever more immigrants to pay for everything wrong. It is a myth spread in the media by those who wanted to see mass immigration.

Try thinking independently for once, instead of simply parroting every simplistic stereotype, propaganda, media indoctrination and false information fed to you.

Immigrants are no fix for an ageing society

The idea has been discredited by every authority that has looked at it - from the UN, to the Council of Europe, the European Commission, the UK Government Immigration Advisory Service, the Home Office, and the OECD.

Even the UN report, Replacement Migration: Is It A Solution to Declining and Ageing Population?, often cited as proving the case for replacement migration, actually came to the completely opposite conclusion. The authors concluded that the scale of migration needed to change the demographic profile of a whole country is so large as to be "out of reach".

For example, to combat the effect of ageing in south Korea (a very rapidly ageing society) almost the entire population of the earth would have to move there by 2050.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/immigrants-are-no-fix-for-an-ageing-society-1.1152786
Catch my drift?

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2018, 05:11:50 AM »

FALSE: the idea that you have to bring in ever more immigrants to pay for everything wrong. It is a myth spread in the media by those who wanted to see mass immigration.

Try thinking independently for once, instead of simply parroting every simplistic stereotype, propaganda, media indoctrination and false information fed to you.

Immigrants are no fix for an ageing society

The idea has been discredited by every authority that has looked at it - from the UN, to the Council of Europe, the European Commission, the UK Government Immigration Advisory Service, the Home Office, and the OECD.

Even the UN report, Replacement Migration: Is It A Solution to Declining and Ageing Population?, often cited as proving the case for replacement migration, actually came to the completely opposite conclusion. The authors concluded that the scale of migration needed to change the demographic profile of a whole country is so large as to be "out of reach".

For example, to combat the effect of ageing in south Korea (a very rapidly ageing society) almost the entire population of the earth would have to move there by 2050.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/immigrants-are-no-fix-for-an-ageing-society-1.1152786

I said you have to have people of working age to pay for everything, I didn't say the solution to that was mass immigration. Try making counter points in a discussion without resorting to personal attacks for once. You'll find people will respect and listen to what you say more.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »
I said you have to have people of working age to pay for everything

Nobody was denying that, dumbbell.

Catch my drift?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
Maybe they won't. Maybe they'll just enjoy being less crowded.
Or maybe they wont.  :undecided:
Although in order to maintain a viable economy without increasing rates of immigration, they would essentially need to extend the age of retirement to the point where nobody would have time to enjoy anything except how spacious their cubicles are. That or give ridiculous incentives for people to have babies.

This is, of course, assuming that the current global economic system doesn't undergo drastic changes in the near(ish) future, which I find pretty doubtful.

Who knows, maybe a post-scarcity society is lurking just around the corner, and we can all relax, sit in our comfy pod-chairs, and enjoy early retirement while our robot slaves see to everything!