October 18, 2018, 06:16:55 AM

Author Topic: Parents who let their kids scream and yell constantly  (Read 1102 times)

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Parents who let their kids scream and yell constantly
« on: August 13, 2018, 06:24:09 AM »
What is it with these kids that scream and shout constantly in order to get attention, while the parents let it go on?

The noise is so inconsiderate to others.

Catch my drift?

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
Re: Parents who let their kids scream and yell constantly
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:45:39 AM »
A bit of context would be useful

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »
How many complaint threads have you started now? Is the heat getting to you? 8)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »
I understand this.  When a Korean child spazzes out in public, the parents either ignore the behaviour, or appease it with candy or other treats which ingrains the attitude that screaming = rewards.  It is worst when the child looks about 10, and is still using this trick to get their way.  These life lessons that are not taught young, affect the behaviour of the people throughout their lives.  If you don't teach respect and boundaries at an early age, then the childish ego centrism of a 2 year old becomes a Korea driver / ajeoshi in later life; no care is given to anyone else.

The other day my 1.5 year old decided to scream and wail in the supermarket due to not being happy at being told: "no".  When i firmly said "stop it" in a louder, but not shouty voice, every Korean around looked horrified.  15 seconds later, she was quiet and happy.  I have never seen a Korean discipline bad behaviour, merely appease it.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »
These are the same parents that let their kids roam the streets alone and pick up the bad behaviors of other kids that they hang out with. It baffles me that adults aren't bothered by how noisy kids are, especially when they're trying to have conversations with other people.

One of the teachers at my school brought her toddler to the office one day, and I wanted to chuck him out the window at certain points during his time there. There needs to be some level of respect for silence in public places or office spaces. But no, the only thing that matters is making the kids "seem" smart. Nothing else
The World Ends With You

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
Has there been a Super Nanny styled show on Korean TV?

Isn't the idea that the Korean public school system is supposed to teach children "manners" and "discipline"?

Except, when little Min-su goes home and complains to mommy that bad teacher punished me for doing something wrong, little Min-su's mommy goes apesh!t because her little Min-su is perfect.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
How many complaint threads have you started now? Is the heat getting to you? 8)

Seriously.

What's up with people who start 50 complaining threads?

Kids make noise and do stupid stuff, what else is new?

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 11:56:54 AM »
Yeah, I thought that's what the ranting thread was for

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »
When I have looked at the childish behavior of ahjeossis, I have always told myself "It'll get better with future generations."

However, I really can't say this now. Korean parents do absolutely nothing to stop or deter their kids from acting terribly in public. They are aghast when I suggest some form of punishment.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:03 PM »
When I have looked at the childish behavior of ahjeossis, I have always told myself "It'll get better with future generations."

However, I really can't say this now. Korean parents do absolutely nothing to stop or deter their kids from acting terribly in public. They are aghast when I suggest some form of punishment.

Don't worry, we're plenty childish ourselves and the younger generation looks at us the way we look at them.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »
This comes from a skewed view of child psychology here.

Whether you agree with it or not, many adult Koreans view discipline as too harsh for young minds to flourish in. I've actually been told that many Koreans view western methods of child-rearing as being very militaristic, as if it's constant discipline and little-to-no affection.

In Korea, the discipline is supposed to come in once kids are older, usually in their teens. That's why you have so many helicopter parents who dote on young kids to the extreme who then suddenly become tiger parents once the kids hit middle school. It's a real shock to the system for some students, and partly why so many of the students here seem so much more childish and sheltered when compared to students from other countries.

With that being said, there are plenty of parents who teach their kids boundaries here. They get just as annoyed with the spoiled brats as we do. But they speak in whispers or behind closed doors here.

Online Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 08:15:32 AM »

Discipline is supposed to be ingrained in a child from their earliest years, not until they get older.
There are psychological stages that children go through, and the discipline that parents impose have
to be measured at these levels with understanding of their children's level of psychological stages.
You have to allow kids to be kids but it takes time for kids to learn their limited bounds as they
grow up.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 10:13:12 AM »
Considering South Korea's rather low rates of violent crime and high rates of bad driving and negligence, it might be that the differing approaches have tradeoffs.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
Considering South Korea's rather low rates of violent crime and high rates of bad driving and negligence, it might be that the differing approaches have tradeoffs.

I'd attribute the bad driving more to the fact that there are almost no consequences for doing so... As for violent crime, I'm rather curious about that one, but I also can't see it being because of the lack of child rearing.
The World Ends With You

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 04:07:29 PM »

I'd attribute the bad driving more to the fact that there are almost no consequences for doing so... As for violent crime, I'm rather curious about that one, but I also can't see it being because of the lack of child rearing.

Blood money payment = settled out of court = no prosecution by the state = no crime occurred.

The system is so skewed it is impossible to get an accurate picture of the legal system here.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 04:08:41 PM »

I think the lack of a substantial illegal drug trade reduces violent crime considerably.

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 05:23:19 PM »

Blood money payment = settled out of court = no prosecution by the state = no crime occurred.

The system is so skewed it is impossible to get an accurate picture of the legal system here.

^^^This!!!![/size][/color]

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »
On day 1 lay down the rules and don't be a little push-over.
Screaming and yelling is a very serious degree of violence, that is at all times unacceptable.

If you haven't brought this issue up with your institution's director, you definitely should.
If they don't do anything about it and give you the cold shoulder, you're working for a very shitty leader that kisses ass to make some cash, mate. Best of luck,

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 07:44:02 PM »
I still haven't been able to figure out why anyone would want kids. Seriously. Why would anyone want kids? I truly don't understand. I can't see one single solitary redeeming feature of destroying your life with offspring.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »
On day 1 lay down the rules and don't be a little push-over.
Screaming and yelling is a very serious degree of violence, that is at all times unacceptable.

If you haven't brought this issue up with your institution's director, you definitely should.
If they don't do anything about it and give you the cold shoulder, you're working for a very shitty leader that kisses ass to make some cash, mate. Best of luck,

You're still bitter that I whipped your as*s on the other thread??

Ah.. hahahahaha  :laugh:
Catch my drift?