October 18, 2018, 07:25:32 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: How to get your a/c to blow colder air.  (Read 728 times)

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
How to get your a/c to blow colder air.
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
Hey guys just wondering do any of you guys know any tips or tricks on how to get your air con to blow colder air.  I have called the repair man and he said 1) My one room/officetel is very big so that's why the whole room doesn't feel that cold :rolleyes: 2)He said it is blowing cold  :rolleyes: No it isn't.  It's on 18 but it feels like 25.  3) He told me to spray water to the inside of the exhaust fan which would be exhibit A of the picture that has the part that says "singer" on it.  He told me to spray the inside of that with a waterbottle.

Does anyone have any ideas.  I have an LG wall unit with the outdoor exhaust part in a tiny room.  YES I DO KEEP THE OUTDOOR AIR VENT OPEN. I'm aware keeping those closed will cause a fire. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: How to get your a/c to blow colder air.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
Did he check the filter? It might be clogged with dust.

If you see ice building up anywhere along the lines or the unit, then you might be low on coolant.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 01:48:01 PM »
Did he check the filter? It might be clogged with dust.

If you see ice building up anywhere along the lines or the unit, then you might be low on coolant.

Well the inside wall unit, I clean that filter.  I'll try cleaning that again.  As far as ice goes, I don't see any ice. 

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
You can buy some special cleaning spray from the mart that does the heavy-work duty and cleans the inside well. Try to give it another clean. If the problem persists, perhaps invest in some cool mats? it's trending these days on Korean shopping websites lol

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »
You can buy some special cleaning spray from the mart that does the heavy-work duty and cleans the inside well. Try to give it another clean. If the problem persists, perhaps invest in some cool mats? it's trending these days on Korean shopping websites lol

What are they called in Korean?

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »

What are they called in Korean?

Here you go mate:

https://www.coupang.com/np/search?q=%EC%97%90%EC%96%B4%EC%BB%A8%ED%81%AC%EB%A6%AC%EB%84%88&channel=relate

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
Thanks I will give that a whirl!

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
Thanks I will give that a whirl!

Best of luck! Hope it does the trick.

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »
Our aircon unit wouldn't blow cold air a while back either. We had it cleaned and had new coolant injected and it didn't work. Finally one bright young tech guy checked the brain. That green square plastic thing with all the chips and soldering stuff. Turns out that was the problem. Our aircon unit was brain-dead LOL

So, new brain unit goes in and our bedroom is a walkin freezer with the temp set at 24C.

Get yer brain checked sister!
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »
It's just simply too hot outside for the A/C to cool as effectively as before. The temperatures we have been seeing for the past month are way above the usual here, especially holding on for this long. I have heard from many people that their air conditioners just can't seem to cope with the heat. Even powerful standing units.
I have been using the same A/C for the past 6 summers and 4 years in the current house. It has always been able to cool the living room and 2 bedrooms during the nights. Not this year though. I had to sleep in the living room (where the A/C is) for more than a week because otherwise it wasn't able to handle the load.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:53:53 AM by Lazio »

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 07:08:21 AM »
Our aircon unit wouldn't blow cold air a while back either. We had it cleaned and had new coolant injected and it didn't work. Finally one bright young tech guy checked the brain. That green square plastic thing with all the chips and soldering stuff. Turns out that was the problem. Our aircon unit was brain-dead LOL

So, new brain unit goes in and our bedroom is a walkin freezer with the temp set at 24C.

Get yer brain checked sister!

Is that in the outside unit or the wall unit?  How would I got about requesting coolant and a brain check for my aircon in Korean?

By the way ESLTurtle I did manage to find that aircon cleaner.  I did try it and it did improve my situation slightly.  Still I think my place could be colder.    I also moved a bunch of extra furniture out of the boiler/aircon exhaust room. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:12:11 AM by Piggydee »

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 07:48:55 AM »
   I also moved a bunch of extra furniture out of the boiler/aircon exhaust room. 

Are you saying that the boiler exhausts to a room?

Move.

Seriously.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »

Move.

Seriously.

Umm well perhaps I didn't explain it properly.  There is a mini "closet" type room that houses my boiler(ondol heater) and the aircon exhaust box.  Now that's it's summer time I only leave the ondol on 위출 (OUT) and put the setting on summer time.   I only turn it on for the hot water.  I could turn off the system but I just leave it on.  Of course since it's on 위출 it doesn't heat my room.   Should I turn the system off? 

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »

Move.

Seriously.

Umm well perhaps I didn't explain it properly.  There is a mini "closet" type room that houses my boiler(ondol heater) and the aircon exhaust box.  Now that's it's summer time I only leave the ondol on 위출 (OUT) and put the setting on summer time.   I only turn it on for the hot water.  I could turn off the system but I just leave it on.  Of course since it's on 위출 it doesn't heat my room.   Should I turn the system off?
It's not going to make much difference, and cause you great frustration when you have no hot water in the shower.

Confirm that the boiler actually exhausts outside.

Now, the a/c should have the condenser outside, otherwise it is just moving heat from your living space to the closet.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »
I'm not sure what the boiler exhaust outside.  It has pipes that are open.  As far as the condenser, well I have to keep the shutters open or else it will start a fire if the condenser over heats in that tiny room. 

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
Move.

At least get a carbon monoxide detector.

CO can literally kill you.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 09:07:50 AM »
Move.

At least get a carbon monoxide detector.

CO can literally kill you.

K.

Thanks for the advice.  :rolleyes: 

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
Of course it will exhaust outside. By pipes that are open you mean you can see pipes right? not like.....an exhaust that hot air / steam / stuff comes out of?

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »
Of course it will exhaust outside. By pipes that are open you mean you can see pipes right? not like.....an exhaust that hot air / steam / stuff comes out of?

well I think water drips out of the boiler, it was set up like that by design.  But the boiler and the condenser are not in the same room as my living area.  They are in a small closet.  So this whole breathing the same fumes thing is not happening. 

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
Yeah, not sure why is this so hard to understand.
Most if not all apartments built after 2010 have a tiny room for the A/C condenser unit, so you dont have them outside hanging on the building by the dozens and making it look ugly. It's like a tiny balcony except it doesn't have windows but rather steel blinds or whatever they are called. You can open them and close in the winter. Even when closed it's very far from an air tight seal. They might put the boiler in here as well because it's safer. The boiler has its exhaust outside of this tiny room, to the street. It's a fireproof area with a steel door separating it from the rest of the house. There is no CO2 danger or anything.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:24:07 AM by Lazio »