October 17, 2018, 03:42:03 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Seriously?!? Do you need all that 'ish?!?!  (Read 3013 times)

Offline carter1l

• Adventurer
Re: Seriously?!? Do you need all that 'ish?!?!
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »
I really don't see why so many people are upset with individuals who opt to use a big backpack while traveling? I personally love my backpacks when travelling to other countries because it's so much easier to move around with a bag than a rolling. I backpacked Guatemala and Costa Rica and man oh man a rolling bag would have caused me so many issues with the "roads" there. Backpacks are just so much more mobile and easier to maneuver through certain terrain and people.

I understand peoples hatred towards to Hostels, as they can be loud and messy, but some simple browsing of reviews will help you find a suitable one for your needs. I have opted for hotels in certain countries because the prices were very similar, but in other countries hostels are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to stay in. In addition, finding a hostel with lockers is easier and backpacks are MUCH easier to fit in there than a rolling bag.

I have no issues with how anyone opts to travel, but for me I think backpacks are the more comfortable and easiest way to travel new countries. To conclude, you usually don't "need all that 'ish," but hey if you got the room, why not bring it? better to be over prepared than under prepared. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »
i would imagine most, if not all, people who move to korea have been backpacking before. it was a great experience, yes, but it's not something brave or unique; it's something that most people in their teen or 20s do, at least from people i know. i met some great people yes, but i also met a lot of morons who claimed to be a on a 'journey' to 'find themselves'. basically the equivalent to people who move to korea and make blogs with seoul or kimchi in the name - it's not interesting or original.
Hear hear.

Like I said, backpackers would be a lot cooler if they could just drop the self-important faux-deepness.

I have met some cool backpackers and they all had several things in common- They weren't on drugs or looking to get wasted, they had an itinerary and were organized, they just did it to go and see a country and just wanted to be mobile and outdoors. They weren't trying to prove anything or taking some big risk, or trying to rough it on pennies. And their accommodations varied but weren't hovels- hotel here, bed and breakfast there, beach house over there, etc. Bag size varied, but there was never a guitar. And they weren't going on and on about finding themselves or some mystic journey or joining the people of the world and lecturing you on how they were gluten free probiotic vegans or whatever. And they didn't go on and on about how backpacking through Europe at 24 and getting wasted like 500,000 other people that year somehow made them simple and their lives significant compared to people back home who sit behind a desk...maaannnn!!! Oh and they didn't stink.

Like seriously, you're a 20-something backpacker. A receptionist at a hospital who has only gone to DisneyLand and listens to generic pop songs and watches Friends and Transformers movies probably does something more significant with her life and contributes more than you do. Get over yourselves.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:38:11 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »
carter1l this topic is not about rolling bags vs backpacks.  I have a backpack myself and use it. 

For my travels I use one very similar to this.

I'm talking about the oversized huge backpacks.  Like the duffle bag long ones. 

I do agree though rollers are hard to use.  Especially in Europe.  Actually I heard one town in Italy was sick of rolling luggage because of what it did to the historic cobble stone roads

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
That's what porters and bellhops are for. They carry the bags so you don't have to. And hotel security is there to make sure the local thieving element doesn't pull anything.

Offline carter1l

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2018, 03:00:00 PM »
carter1l this topic is not about rolling bags vs backpacks.  I have a backpack myself and use it. 

For my travels I use one very similar to this.

I'm talking about the oversized huge backpacks.  Like the duffle bag long ones. 

I do agree though rollers are hard to use.  Especially in Europe.  Actually I heard one town in Italy was sick of rolling luggage because of what it did to the historic cobble stone roads

I was talking about a big back pack!

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »

I was talking about a big back pack!

Well I don't understand why someone would need a 70+ liter backpack.  My backpack is about 55 liters max and 12 countries later I still love how I can zip around with ease, not knock over people, not struggle to get into in the overhead bin, and not have to wait at baggage carousel.  Even in India, one of my drivers was like "That's all you packed?!?!" And I said yes.  He told me he was amazed because usually foreigners carry more stuff on them aka obnoxious large backpacks.  Actually I've been compliment many times about how much I bring with me.  Especially by airlines who have to hurry up and transfer me to the next plane because of a delay at the last flight.  "Ma'am do you have any checked baggage?"  "no"  "Good we don't have to reschedule you and you can defiantly make this next flight."   So just pays to pack small and light.   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:12:48 PM by Piggydee »

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:38 PM »
Yeah I agree that is annoying.  Especially when people bang up against you with their bags

Its also annoying that Koreans feel free to push and bump your bags and rucksack as if you were not attached to it.

One can easily find affordable lodging on hotel apps or airbnb.  I accidentally did a hostel in Tokyo, (DAMN PLACE ADVERTISED ITSELF AS A HOTEL) and was annoyed the whole time but the people playing in the guest area and communal showering stalls

Backpacking is a fun and character-building experience, if you haven't done it you've missed out.

Doing ESL is no substitute for backpacking.
I have to agree. These folks are on an adventure.

Maybe the OP is lazy or weak too carry that big a bag (I know sr/dm is.) and that's what is grinding her gears.

Alllllriiiiighty then I'm lazy because I don't want to carry more than 30% of my body weight.  I'm sorry but these oversized backpacks just scream privilege.  I'm mean seriously unless you are a popular Instagramer or blogger or you work for a crew that needs more equipment, there is no reason why the regular degular traveler needs to haul around so much sh*t.  Even the late great Anthony Bourdain would be annoyed when he saw people struggling to put their oversized bagged in the overhead bin.  The man himself was a minimalist when it came to travel. 

Doing ESL is no substitute for backpacking.  True I guess I will agree with this statement.  But who says I ever wanted to stack up in a room with a people of randos who would probably want to bump uglies with the locals.  Umm no thank you.  (P.S. I have heard stories especially out of hostels where other guest "sneak" in  locals and then have the pleasure of being on the bottom bunk while the top buck in bouncing up and down. Yeah I have to agree I REALLY missed out on that experience.  Chucks  :rolleyes:  Or how about the pleasure of not being able to sleep because the hippie in your dorm room wants to play on their guitar till the wee hours.  OH PLEASE SIGN ME UP.  I need that to build my character.  Sorry Cyanea, I will agree to disagree with you on that one.)
How does a big backpack scream privilege? What they say to me is someone has saved up for a long trip and so is carrying what they need to be on the road without their own vehicle for an extended time. And needing to do so inexpensively they have sleeping bags, camping gear, clothes for different climes, etc.

Not everyone is pulling in the big bucks so they can stay in hotels where they sit in their room and drink from the mini-bar. Now that's what I call travel.

In Southeast Asia you can get 3 to 5 five star hotels for waaaaay cheaper than you can get in America or Korea

In Bangkok, Thailand hotels start at 13,000won a night.  (Just checked Agoda app) Sure you can pay 3,000won a night for a dorm room hostel, but for the privacy, lack of hearing sex sounds  :undecided: :-[ , losers potentially stealing your stuff (I had a German guy steal an CU mart umbrella on a sleeper train when I was in Vietnam) and just overall the feeling of college freshman year, I rather pay the extra 10,000won to have my own private bath, you own private bed, and you can go to bed and wake up at your own leisure instead of hearing some girl sing knock off Lilith Fair reject songs on her damn ukulele  (BTW communal showers do surprisingly STILL Smell like the B.O. from the person you are waiting on, happened to me in Tokyo when I made the mistake of staying at that fake hotel/hostel.)   :-[  ) 

By the way if I need clothes and toilets so much wouldn't I being doing a favor to the local economy in that country buy buying their clothes from local shops and buy toiletries from local stores.   I mean it's that the point of why countries want people to visit them, so they can pour their money back into their economies and help them grow.   :rolleyes:
Why buy clothes if you already have them? IMO the point of travel is not to help economies grow, it's to do and see things you can't readily do at home. I don't need the t-shirt to validate my experience.

As for costs, it's all relative. What you consider inexpensive may be exactly the opposite for someone on a very tight budget. Should they not be able to travel? 

This thread reminds me of the why do all foreigners in Korea always wear backpacks, especially with sr/dm telling everyone how they should and should not travel.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2018, 07:36:17 AM »

Cable cords, blow dryers, and 2-3 pairs of your thickest most chunkiest shoes.  Seriously most of the stuff that people pack in these bags is not needed.   

Even as a girl I pack makeup that fits in one travel sized pouch.  Two evening dresses that I will re-wear if I need to (because I will use in the evening and there for I won't sweat too much plus they will be sprayed with travel sized mini bottles of perfume.) And as far as shoes,  one versatile walking/hiking shoe (can be trainers can be mountain boots) that I wear with me to the airport, one pair of sandals for when I go to the beach, and one dress shoe (a ballerina formal slip on) for formal restaurants or bars.

YOU SERIOUSLY DO NOT NEED TO PACK YOUR WHOLE DAMN CLOSET WITH YOU!  Unless you are going to be a nomad for a year or a lifetime I don't see the need for so much sh*t.

Why buy clothes if you already have them? IMO the point of travel is not to help economies grow, it's to do and see things you can't readily do at home. I don't need the t-shirt to validate my experience.

Tourism does help countries grow their economies,  it's why Egypt was hurting after the Arab Spring and why many Southeast countries are now flourishing.  Are you telling me you go to countries just take photos and leave.  You contribute some how by patronizing their restaurants and hotels.  Or probably in your case hostels.  :/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:11:59 PM by Piggydee »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2018, 09:04:52 AM »
Why buy clothes if you already have them?

So you don't have to pack them. You can then drop them off at some church. Just buy cheap shorts, socks, underwear, and t-shirts for your outdoor stuff so you don't have to pack it. Stay in a hotel and you don't have to lug around 50 things. Buy travel sizes/miniatures of your favorite cleansers, fragrances, etc. You don't need to bring all that crap the girl has in her bag.

A giant bag is a sign of poor planning. If you know what you need to do and have the organizational skills to pull it off, you only need to bring a minimum.

Traveling light is the way to go. Historically, in wartime, soldiers would often leave their camps/bases with large bags full of lots of gear. What would happen as they kept on marching is they'd shed a lot of it because they realize it's useless and just extra weight. Veterans would often have loads of less than 20 kilos (including rations, gun, and ammunition- something you certainly don't need). Now, with the benefits of modern technology and packaging, and the fact that you'll be staying in a hostel at a minimum, that further lightens the necessary amount you'd need to carry. This way, you can easily march 25-30 miles in a day.

As for costs, it's all relative. What you consider inexpensive may be exactly the opposite for someone on a very tight budget. Should they not be able to travel? 
Those people should probably stay home or consider some more modestly priced form of leisure rather than blowing their budget on some expedition and then coming back home and blaming the rich for why they are in debt.

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 08:00:26 AM »
P.S. I also saw a BEG PACKER at Yongsan Electronic mart.  I didn't want to read his stupid sign but I'm thinking to myself.  YO BROSEF  if you are that hard up for money how about selling all the things you have in that damn oversized green backpack of yours.  Yeah shocking he had one of these bags too  :rolleyes:

There's one in downtown Daegu currently. He had the Koreans gathered all around him and I just don't understand why! I have even seen Koreans buy his "travel pictures" :lipsrsealed:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2018, 08:22:22 AM »
P.S. I also saw a BEG PACKER at Yongsan Electronic mart.  I didn't want to read his stupid sign but I'm thinking to myself.  YO BROSEF  if you are that hard up for money how about selling all the things you have in that damn oversized green backpack of yours.  Yeah shocking he had one of these bags too  :rolleyes:

There's one in downtown Daegu currently. He had the Koreans gathered all around him and I just don't understand why! I have even seen Koreans buy his "travel pictures" :lipsrsealed:

I blame liberalism for this. The value system that enabled begpacking does NOT come from conservativsm.

People used to have dignity when they traveled.

Offline Iced_Chai

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 08:45:10 AM »
"It's a free country and the guy's making a buck. Don't hate on him because I'm sure we'd all do some pretty shameless stuff if it meant the big bucks."
-Dr. DeMartino

Not to be a total asshole, but it's weird that you're cool with people making money creeping on women, but not with people selling their photos or busking as they travel. Obviously people who act entitled isn't a specific value of conservatives or liberals :p

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »

It's the novelty of Korean folk seeing a white person (probably in dreadlocks  :lipsrsealed:) begging for money and thinking wow, we have it good man, let's help out this poor foreigner. Whereas the Seoul Slugs get **** all and nothing but scorn for crawling around the streets because they are Koreans who should get a job and it's their own fault and they make us look bad! 

Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline alexisalex

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
The other day I saw a white, dreadlocked, barefooted guy sitting on the street playing a drum, begging for money.  It was like something straight out of Portlandia  :laugh:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »
"It's a free country and the guy's making a buck. Don't hate on him because I'm sure we'd all do some pretty shameless stuff if it meant the big bucks."
-Dr. DeMartino

Not to be a total asshole, but it's weird that you're cool with people making money creeping on women, but not with people selling their photos or busking as they travel. Obviously people who act entitled isn't a specific value of conservatives or liberals :p

At least the guy creeping on women doesn't smell like a foot and making above a subsistence income. He's self-funded and offering a product.

Buskers and photo people are glorified beggers who need to be sent home or arrested for vagrancy and sentenced to a few weeks of hard labor so they get a clue.

Offline Iced_Chai

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:58 AM »
 :laugh: Good priorities. I think you truly understand what traveling with dignity looks like. Creeping on women and then profiting off it.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 10:25:08 AM »
:laugh: Good priorities. I think you truly understand what traveling with dignity looks like. Creeping on women and then profiting off it.

I never said there was dignity in it and I think the guy is a piece of shit. But like a drug dealer, at least he's taking action and not just lying around on welfare.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »
The other day I saw a white, dreadlocked, barefooted guy sitting on the street playing a drum, begging for money.  It was like something straight out of Portlandia  :laugh:

I once ran into one of these guys selling homemade jewelry in Hongdae. It was worth 20k won at most, for his time and materials, but he was trying to push it (on me) for 50k won. I was like, "Naw, I know how these are made, and they're not worth 50k won, bro." His neighbor kept giving him the wtf-are-you-doing look, too. Even if I'd been ignorant, her face gave his scam away, lol. Very sitcom-y.

Offline Iced_Chai

• Adventurer
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2018, 11:36:06 AM »
So, legitimate question, Mr.DeMartino. If the person is selling photographs, jewelry they made, or playing music, do you really see that as the same as begging? I'm a little confused with the logic that selling drugs is okay, but selling shit art you made qualifies as taking welfare. You seem very sympathetic of someone having to do something distasteful for money... as long as it's something like acting sexist. Not... you know, selling crappy jewelry.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
Iced-Chai, DeMart isn't concerned so much about logic or accuracy as much as he is about contradicting.  Don't get too invested here.

I love bashing backpackers as much as the next person, unless of course the next person happened to be PiggyDee, that accolade recipient of both airlines and Indian taxis for her packing prowess.  I haven't seen PiggyDee this worked up since someone wrote the word "hakwan" in a post. 

As mentioned, the most annoying aspect of backpackers is that they consider themselves travelers, as opposed to tourists.  They're the most insular group of tourists you can find.  I lived in Thailand for years and out of all the groups that were mocked, from the obnoxious Germans, disrespectful and rude Russian and Arabs. to the chav drunken whore-mongering Brits, the most ire was reserved for the backpackers.  Thais refer to them as bird-shit foreigners because the just fly over and all they leave behind is droppings. 

That being said, who gives a sh*t what kind of bag someone brings along on their travels.  Backpacking is an attitude and style, not an accessory.