November 21, 2018, 03:56:34 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Getting Rides in Korea  (Read 1916 times)

Online AMDC

• Adventurer
Re: Getting Rides in Korea
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 12:45:51 PM »
As a kid I'd always fight my relatives for shotgun (front passenger).

My school claims that the backseats are safer, and are for the principal/president/so on and so forth.

So it's amusing to be given shotgun, being told that the backseat is for the most prominent members (but as has been said already, this would be ignored and you'd be sorted into genders if there's an imbalance).

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
Several posts were removed and folks warned for off-topic posts.

Stay on topic please.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »
The senior person gets shotgun, usually, unless they are being chauffeured.

As for not mixing and having non-married people ride in the back, this is a relic from more discreet days. I bet you'd find similar stuff in Mike Pence's America circa the 1950s when people were more conscious of such things.

The funny thing is, in the MeToo era, you might see a resurgence of this. Say what you will about Mike Pence's fuddy duddy ways, he isn't about to get sued.

Given Mike Pence was born in 1959, he must have been one smart baby to have been running society and governing it's rules back then. 

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »
The senior person gets shotgun, usually, unless they are being chauffeured.

As for not mixing and having non-married people ride in the back, this is a relic from more discreet days. I bet you'd find similar stuff in Mike Pence's America circa the 1950s when people were more conscious of such things.

The funny thing is, in the MeToo era, you might see a resurgence of this. Say what you will about Mike Pence's fuddy duddy ways, he isn't about to get sued.

Given Mike Pence was born in 1959, he must have been one smart baby to have been running society and governing it's rules back then.

My point was a reference to Mike Pence's old-fashioned rules regarding male-female contact. Not an actual claim that Pence was running things in 1950. It was figurative, not literal.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
All the rides I've gotten from people in Korea (except for 2 - 3) I have ridden shotgun.
The times I haven't was because other people were in the car too.
I've been given rides by both men and women.
No one has mentioned anything like "the passenger seat is for lovers" to me. :o

Offline chimp

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 08:05:14 PM »
Only been told to ride in the back once; it was in the spring of 2010 when being picked up from the airport bus. I was about to get in the front seat of the pickup when she said "no, get in the back".

I got in the back
oo oo ahh ahh

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 08:01:32 PM »
My Korean wife freaked out when I picked up our new Western Teacher from the bus station.  It was a two minute ride to her apartment, so I figured I'd pick up my wife and we'd take the teacher to her apartment.  Well, my wife opened the front passenger side door and made a wicked evil face.  So the new teacher jumped in the back.  I learned my lesson, that's for sure.

Whenever I pick up my stepdaughter she sits in the back as well.  It's just a cultural thing.  No reason to try to make any rhyme or reason of it.  It's definitely a thing though...

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:16 AM »
My Korean wife freaked out when I picked up our new Western Teacher from the bus station.  It was a two minute ride to her apartment, so I figured I'd pick up my wife and we'd take the teacher to her apartment.  Well, my wife opened the front passenger side door and made a wicked evil face.  So the new teacher jumped in the back.  I learned my lesson, that's for sure.

Whenever I pick up my stepdaughter she sits in the back as well.  It's just a cultural thing.  No reason to try to make any rhyme or reason of it.  It's definitely a thing though...

Nice friendly welcome for your new hellwon teacher.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »

Nice friendly welcome for your new hellwon teacher.

Yup, but I already warned her what the misses is like, so she got a good first glimpse on night 1.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »
Some people follow it, some people don't. And there is some common sense to it. Like if you have some 50 year old ajumma giving a front seat ride to some 20 year old kid that she goes to church with, no one will care. Likewise if you're hauling a bunch of crap in the back and you're working. But yeah, there are more traditional types out there.