March 27, 2019, 08:48:53 AM

Author Topic: Permanently temporary: the truth about temp labour  (Read 601 times)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Permanently temporary: the truth about temp labour
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »

Is this really the new normal? American jobs have become EFL-ized.
Catch my drift?

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
Re: Permanently temporary: the truth about temp labour
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:57:45 PM »
Not that much new about it--more of a long-term trend.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »
You'd be wrong if you thought all these temp jobs were exclusively being taken by Mexicans. Many Americans are also reduced to taking them. In the UK there is a similar phenomenon except we call them "zero hour contracts". If you are interested you could take a look at "killed by my debt" which I will try to link below.

This video is a few years old I think. A lot of the jobs created in the Obama recovery were poor quality. That continues with the Trump recovery. Nothing fundamental has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIeVilRBAUw

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
You'd be wrong if you thought all these temp jobs were exclusively being taken by Mexicans. Many Americans are also reduced to taking them. In the UK there is a similar phenomenon except we call them "zero hour contracts". If you are interested you could take a look at "killed by my debt" which I will try to link below.

This video is a few years old I think. A lot of the jobs created in the Obama recovery were poor quality. That continues with the Trump recovery. Nothing fundamental has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIeVilRBAUw
Yes, temp jobs are the best many Americans, the underemployed, can get. Part-time is the new full-time for many.