August 22, 2018, 09:34:24 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Extortion?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
Re: Extortion?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
A few days ago I went to a local hospital (small hospital) to get my yearly exam. I did the eye test, blood pressure, weight, height, blood/drug test and x-ray. The standard stuff. I was told to get my results in 3-days. Fast forward three days- Yesterday, I went to pick up the results. I was told I had to speak to a Dr. The Dr. (very poor English) was showing me my chest x-ray. it took her a few minutes to make her point. The point was something was wrong. She asked if I had any trouble breathing (no I don't). The she suggested I take another x-ray. So, I did. She showed me my new x-ray and said she was concerned, but I had no symptoms of anything. (just an unclear x-ray) It looks like I moved a little since it wasn't clear. he suggested I get a CT done. I told her I had to get back to school and I would schedule one for another time (I had no intention. I just wanted my results and get out). I know my body and sure the doctors may know more than me, but what she was trying to do was suspicious.  So, I go back to the nurse/cashier and she tells my Korean wife the story. Finally, she said she would write this problem with my lungs on the report if I did not make an appt. for the CT. There was no problem. The Dr. (tried) to tell me she did not know what the problem was, just that I needed a CT. I feel like they were 'forcing me to take the CT. ANyway, I didn't take it, nor am I going to.

Find out from the Koreans what is another good hospital in your area.  Go and do another test.  She may be right or she may be wrong.  Get a second opinion and don't tell them about your first exam so they aren't biased looking for it.  If the second hospital finds something, get the scan then.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »

All the British folks complaining and all the Americans nodding their head like, seems normal.

To me doctors visits, treatment wise, are pretty similar to the states.  From the folks I know from Europe it's way different there.  That's my two cents anyway.

Brit here. Whilst the treatment here is a lot faster than the UK, I am struggling with paying so much! (Back home we pay for the NHS through taxes but once at the hospital, we don't dish out any more money). The other day I paid 70,000 won for the doctor checking my stitches, changing bandages and getting an injection...the medication was another 7000 won. Personally I feel it is too much for just that but i went in the afternoon/evening time hence the price urgh! But yeah, I am going to work on my safety more so than the UK simply because I don't want to be dishing out 200k won! For us Brits, that is too much!  :laugh:

70 thousand?  Did they not take your government health insurance card?  Usually when I go to the doctors clinic it's 6 or 7 thousand won.  This is the doctors clinic.  If I go to the actual main uni government hospital it might be 25,000 won but it is really fast and very good medical care.  It's free in Canada, but enjoy your 10 plus hour wait at the hospital.  No thanks, I'd rather pay a little bit and have quick service and not take a couple of months to get an appointment with my doctor.  Also, in Canada, medicine isn't paid for, nor dental, nor vision.  If you get insurance through your employer.  If not, too bad.  In Korea, everything is mostly covered.  Though surgeries do have a cut off and you pay more for those, but nothing crazy like the States. 

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 12:19:19 PM »
Brit here. Whilst the treatment here is a lot faster than the UK, I am struggling with paying so much! (Back home we pay for the NHS through taxes but once at the hospital, we don't dish out any more money). The other day I paid 70,000 won for the doctor checking my stitches, changing bandages and getting an injection...the medication was another 7000 won. Personally I feel it is too much for just that but i went in the afternoon/evening time hence the price urgh! But yeah, I am going to work on my safety more so than the UK simply because I don't want to be dishing out 200k won! For us Brits, that is too much!  :laugh:

Actually, you might be paying less here. Depending on time spent in the hospital and your income structure, going to the NHS might well cost you more in terms of opportunity-cost.

If you're getting paid hourly, at say W30,000/hr., the difference in a 2 hour hospital visit vs. an 8 hour one is clear.

Online debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »
I've had weird experiences here. I'm not going to claim I know more than any doctor...but I fell off my bike and broke a rib...I also lost my memory...like I was riding around (in extreme agony...thanks adrenaline) and I couldn't remember where I lived or where my school was or anything. To this day I only remember a stranger picking me off the ground and I can't even pinpoint where it actually happened.

I went to the  university hospital and the rib was x-rayed etc and medication was given for the pain. But at no point did the doctor seem at all concerned about my head injury (my face is still scarred a year on). My Korean friend was with me so it wasn't a language barrier.

Another time I had totally lost my voice, my school insisted I teach for a week like that..it got worse. Eventually they let me go to the hospital (I had to make the class I missed up lol). The doctor did a oesophagoscopy, everything was normal and he said there was nothing wrong. Great. But I was still prescribed the same nondescript three pills to take three times daily. This cost me wayyyy more than the visit about my broken rib.

I'm no expert but they definitely over prescribe medicine here. Also the second was a clinic....next time I'll be sure to go to a government hospital! lesson learned.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 12:26:30 PM »

Actually, you might be paying less here. Depending on time spent in the hospital and your income structure, going to the NHS might well cost you more in terms of opportunity-cost.

If you're getting paid hourly, at say W30,000/hr., the difference in a 2 hour hospital visit vs. an 8 hour one is clear.

Exactly, it's like people who drive an extra twenty minutes to that ONE Gas station to save 3 cents a litre.

First, you're wasting more gas to get there. That's a very obvious and measurable cost to you.

BUT, second, you've spent 40 mins of your life to save................ let's imagine an average sedan, 60L tank. So you saved 1.80 for 40 mins of your life.

Is an hour of your life worth $2.70? Even a shitty McJob pays 10 or 11 bucks an hour in Canada and that's at the lowest legal end of the pay spectrum. So you've wasted an hour of your life driving for 2 bucks 70.

It's simply not worth it. There's being frugal and there's burning fivers to find nickels. 

Online debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »

Exactly, it's like people who drive an extra twenty minutes to that ONE Gas station to save 3 cents a litre.

First, you're wasting more gas to get there. That's a very obvious and measurable cost to you.

BUT, second, you've spent 40 mins of your life to save................ let's imagine an average sedan, 60L tank. So you saved 1.80 for 40 mins of your life.

Is an hour of your life worth $2.70? Even a shitty McJob pays 10 or 11 bucks an hour in Canada and that's at the lowest legal end of the pay spectrum. So you've wasted an hour of your life driving for 2 bucks 70.

It's simply not worth it. There's being frugal and there's burning fivers to find nickels.

This reply makes absolutely no sense at all. I can't even figure out your point in this context. Hospital treatments can quickly run into thousands of pounds. Hardly being "frugal" is it??

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »

This reply makes absolutely no sense at all. I can't even figure out your point in this context. Hospital treatments can quickly run into thousands of pounds. Hardly being "frugal" is it??

The point is, waiting 10 hours for "free" (universal payer) healthcare vs 25 000W for waiting 15 mins, it's quite clear that simply paying the 20 000 is a much better deal.

Your life is worth money, even if you're not on the clock being paid at work. You're not saving any real purchasing power by waiting 10 hours and having 25 bucks in your pocket. You can do a hell of a lot in 10 hours of time.

Work out, cook dinner, go on a date, read 15% of a book. These 4 things are all doable in a 10 hour period. And it's 100x more productive than sitting in a hospital doing NOTHING.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
The example cited was a W70,000 bill. Now, putting aside the fact that he was likely giving a foreigner "discount", let's assume that we're talking a procedure that genuinely costs W70,000 in Korea vs. one that would be "free" (not considering taxes in both countries) in the UK. If you're getting paid hourly without sick-leave, that difference could be significant.

For routine procedures, you might well be paying far less in Korea, even though it isn't "free".

Online debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »

The point is, waiting 10 hours for "free" (universal payer) healthcare vs 25 000W for waiting 15 mins, it's quite clear that simply paying the 20 000 is a much better deal.

Your life is worth money, even if you're not on the clock being paid at work. You're not saving any real purchasing power by waiting 10 hours and having 25 bucks in your pocket. You can do a hell of a lot in 10 hours of time.

Work out, cook dinner, go on a date, read 15% of a book. These 4 things are all doable in a 10 hour period. And it's 100x more productive than sitting in a hospital doing NOTHING.

For a start...it's not ten hours. IF it's something minor NOONE in the U.K goes to a hospital. You go to a Walk in Centre, a GP or just a pharmacy. EDIT: When I say "minor" it really takes an emergency or serious condition where the GP cannot solve it for a brit to attend a hospital.

If it's something worthy of a hospital visit then the max you SHOULD wait in A&E is 4 hours. Any longer the hospital gets in trouble. Of course there are times when you have to wait longer, patients are triaged and seen in order of seriousness.

IF it's something that's worthy of a hospital visit then you can bet your arse it's something that is damn expensive and worth your time.

Also some people don't have jobs...or homes or luxuries like that. The fact that they can go and get the same standard healthcare as anyone else makes it all entirely worth it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:43:58 PM by debbiem89 »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2018, 12:45:30 PM »

For a start...it's not ten hours. IF it's something minor NOONE in the U.K goes to a hospital. You go to a Walk in Centre, a GP or just a pharmacy.

If it's something worthy of a hospital visit then the max you SHOULD wait in A&E is 4 hours. Any longer the hospital gets in trouble. Of course there are times when you have to wait longer, patients are triaged and seen in order of seriousness.

IF it's something that's worthy of a hospital visit then you can bet your arse it's something that is damn expensive and worth your time.

Also some people don't have jobs...or homes or luxuries like that. The fact that they can go and get the same standard healthcare as anyone else makes it all entirely worth it.

It's an example................................... Fine, 4 hours, Most middle class people would still pay 25$ to be in and out in 30 mins.

My point is, that our time in life has a monetary value. We only get so many hours in this world, therefore you can put a cost on it. If someone offered you 600 dollars an hour to sitt in a dark room for 4 hours, you'd do it, because the time you have in life as an average middle class person is worth WAY less than that.

A lot of people would be willing to pay something vs ONLY TAXES to get the hell out of there.

Online debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »

For a start...it's not ten hours. IF it's something minor NOONE in the U.K goes to a hospital. You go to a Walk in Centre, a GP or just a pharmacy.

It's an example................................... Fine, 4 hours, Most middle class people would still pay 25$ to be in and out in 30 mins.

My point is, that our time in life has a monetary value. We only get so many hours in this world, therefore you can put a cost on it. If someone offered you 600 dollars an hour to sitt in a dark room for 4 hours, you'd do it, because the time you have in life as an average middle class person is worth WAY less than that.

A lot of people would be willing to pay something vs ONLY TAXES to get the hell out of there.

Why do you keep saying "Middle Class"?? It's so awkward and weird.

You're actually making it sound like "Middle Class" peoples' time is more valuable.

If you want to go private in the U.K then you have that option too.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »

You're actually making it sound like "Middle Class" peoples' time is more valuable.

Jesus Christ, Are you thick?

You do understand how this conversation started yes? With Dr M?

Time is money. I'm saying that people who can afford to pay a bit extra (Middle Class, people with money, or the rich, too!)  to get in and out quickly WOULD DO THAT/It's a smarter decision TO DO THAT.

Good god.

Online debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »

Time is money. I'm saying that people who can afford to pay a bit extra (Middle Class, people with money, or the rich, too!)  to get in and out quickly WOULD DO THAT/It's a smarter decision TO DO THAT.

Good god.

Who do you actually think you are? Are you intent on just being a massive egotistical arse every single time you post?

Honestly wtf is your problem dude. If time is money then what are you doing here? Go on that date or whatever the hell you were on about.

Good god.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »

Good god.

Who do you actually think you are? Are you intent on just being a massive egotistical arse every single time you post?

Honestly wtf is your problem dude. If time is money then what are you doing here? Go on that date or whatever the hell you were on about.

Good god.

I'm working............ because time is money. I'm employed.......... so I'm at work. Making money.

----------------

Hahaha, egotistical arse. I have opinions and I'm not afraid to throw them out there. But again, it's worth paying 25 bucks to not wait 4 hours if your wages are. let's say, 15 bucks an hour. This doesn't mean you take time off work to go to the hospital; it's the value of YOUR TIME. Same idea with a roller coaster, if you could pay 2 dollars not to wait in line for a ride for 45 mins, that's a good deal.

Call me an egomaniac if you'd like. I'd be interested to see the other reasons you think I'm an egomaniac EVERY time I post.

Offline bmym80

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »

Find out from the Koreans what is another good hospital in your area.  Go and do another test.  She may be right or she may be wrong.  Get a second opinion and don't tell them about your first exam so they aren't biased looking for it.  If the second hospital finds something, get the scan then.
[/quote]

This is the best advice. Thanks.

Online debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

Good god.

Good god.

I'm working............ because time is money. I'm employed.......... so I'm at work. Making money.

----------------

Hahaha, egotistical arse. I have opinions and I'm not afraid to throw them out there. But again, it's worth paying 25 bucks to not wait 4 hours if your wages are. let's say, 15 bucks an hour. This doesn't mean you take time off work to go to the hospital; it's the value of YOUR TIME. Same idea with a roller coaster, if you could pay 2 dollars not to wait in line for a ride for 45 mins, that's a good deal.

Call me an egomaniac if you'd like. I'd be interested to see the other reasons you think I'm an egomaniac EVERY time I post.

What you said initially made no sense in the context. I get the idea mate...i'm allowed to disagree without a know-it-all keyboard warrior calling me names like a child.

Of course you'd be interested...you'd probably love nothing more than me recounting all your ridiculous stories and opinions...being the egomaniac you so clearly are. It might be incorrect (of course, since I've only got these posts to go on) but the way you post makes it sound like you think your some kind of big shot. It's so sad. Usually I just shake my head or laugh at the things you post and move on.

Try having a conversation instead of immediately insulting people who disagree with you...you might come across as a lot more likeable.

Offline MoonChild

• Waygookin
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »

70 thousand?  Did they not take your government health insurance card?  Usually when I go to the doctors clinic it's 6 or 7 thousand won.  This is the doctors clinic.  If I go to the actual main uni government hospital it might be 25,000 won but it is really fast and very good medical care.  It's free in Canada, but enjoy your 10 plus hour wait at the hospital.  No thanks, I'd rather pay a little bit and have quick service and not take a couple of months to get an appointment with my doctor.  Also, in Canada, medicine isn't paid for, nor dental, nor vision.  If you get insurance through your employer.  If not, too bad.  In Korea, everything is mostly covered.  Though surgeries do have a cut off and you pay more for those, but nothing crazy like the States.

They did actually but I have been told the hospital is more expensive in the afternoon/evening (don't know how true that is, only been here 2 months so still figuring things out). When I got stitches they charged me a lot of money too around 60,000, I went at night around 12am, don't know if that makes a different! The third time I went to get my checkup and bandage changed I paid around 6000 won which didn't make me want to have a heart attack for once! I went to Fatima hospital in Daegu first (apparently they couldn't help me :rolleyes:) so then I went to http://msrhospital.kr/. But yeah, I guess it depends on the service you want. Private hospitals can end up costing a lot in the UK but I guess to each their own. I did enjoy the fast service here in Korea...but hopefully it won't cost me too much in the future!
Man's not hot

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
What you said initially made no sense in the context. I get the idea mate...i'm allowed to disagree without a know-it-all keyboard warrior calling me names like a child.

Of course you'd be interested...you'd probably love nothing more than me recounting all your ridiculous stories and opinions...being the egomaniac you so clearly are. It might be incorrect (of course, since I've only got these posts to go on) but the way you post makes it sound like you think your some kind of big shot. It's so sad. Usually I just shake my head or laugh at the things you post and move on.

Try having a conversation instead of immediately insulting people who disagree with you...you might come across as a lot more likeable.

I take back what I said about you being thick, that's rescinded. I have a temper and it just felt like I explained myself 3 times. So, I apologise. I don't like ad hominems either, and I regret that.

My basic point is, and for the last time. The ratio of waiting to money saved has a breaking point. I was agreeing with Dr M on his initial comment. Waiting 10 hours in silence and doing nothing (much like waiting at a hospital) is not worth saving 20 dollars.

Sure, if you're homeless and have 10 dollars to your name? Okay. That's fine, but that's an outlier.

I have an honest question, you said "people who disagree with you" (you being me, of course). Do you disagree with my premise?

I'm more concerned about what Dr M said, that time is money, and that I agree with him.

I think you're more concerned about how hospitals ACTUALLY function in the real world, am I safe in that?

Again, I know I have a temper. I don't think you're actually an idiot. But, what say you of my question at the end there?

Online debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 01:46:28 PM »

I take back what I said about you being thick, that's rescinded. I have a temper and it just felt like I explained myself 3 times. So, I apologise. I don't like ad hominems either, and I regret that.

My basic point is, and for the last time. The ratio of waiting to money saved has a breaking point. I was agreeing with Dr M on his initial comment. Waiting 10 hours in silence and doing nothing (much like waiting at a hospital) is not worth saving 20 dollars.

Sure, if you're homeless and have 10 dollars to your name? Okay. That's fine, but that's an outlier.

I have an honest question, you said "people who disagree with you" (you being me, of course). Do you disagree with my premise?

I'm more concerned about what Dr M said, that time is money, and that I agree with him.

I think you're more concerned about how hospitals ACTUALLY function in the real world, am I safe in that?

Again, I know I have a temper. I don't think you're actually an idiot. But, what say you of my question at the end there?

See I read his point as more...if you're out of work for longer it's costing you more in real terms. Not that time is valuable on a non-monetary level so we should get in and out as quickly as possible.

I don't disagree that people with the means might want to pay extra for quicker treatment. I'm sure if someone was waiting ages and you said "oi mate gis a tenner and I'll let you skip ahead" then some people in pain or discomfort would.  The word "frugal" was used though and that's more what I disagreed with. The idea that waiting for medical care is a "waste of time".

I don't think it should work like that though and I know a lot of people would agree with that (and even if they have the means wouldn't do it.)

Personally, I like the NHS so I use it. I probably don't have to, but I'm under the belief that it's use it or lose it. The more people that take the approach of paying for medical treatment..the faster it's privatised and people are in the awful situation of not being able to afford medical care. So, if I have to wait...I wait. Maybe my time is less valuable, who knows. But I like to look at the bigger picture instead of this "I want it right now" culture that seems to have developed in every aspect of life. If I'm made to wait it's because the doctors and nurses are busy treating people in a worse condition than myself.

I used to do the contracting for an inner city hospital so I actually saw the prices of everything from the minute you call an ambulance and it was a pretty scary thing to comprehend having to pay for that if you didn't have insurance.

Anyway...this has gone on a BIG tangent. Apologies.

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »

All the British folks complaining and all the Americans nodding their head like, seems normal.

To me doctors visits, treatment wise, are pretty similar to the states.  From the folks I know from Europe it's way different there.  That's my two cents anyway.

Yup, for Americans it's par for the course.  Pay your health insurance through your job, pay when you go to the doctor.  We are used to it. 70k for stitches seems a bit nuts though.  My wife just had to pay the normal 4k won when she got her stitches taken out, and she actually had to get them redone like two times.  The most I've ever paid is when I had to get an MRI for my shoulder and that was 250k and if I had just listened to the doctor I wouldn't have needed it  (long story short it was my first injury as a late 30 something and I refused to believe my body just heals slowly now lol.  Had to do rehab too, which I refused to do initially.  It was my own stubborness.) 

55k for a drip was the next most.  Seems like you got a bit ripped off and that sucks!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:57:47 PM by leaponover »