December 15, 2018, 03:53:16 AM

Author Topic: Has anyone ever broken a lease?  (Read 827 times)

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
Has anyone ever broken a lease?
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
Has anyone ever broken a lease?  Can the building owner do anything except for keeping the deposit?  Can they legally come after you for the unpaid rent?  Building owner is not fixing some problems.  I gave him 5 million won.  Except for taking that hit, is there anything else I should worry about? 

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Re: Has anyone ever broken a lease?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 11:20:59 PM »
You're prepared to take a loss of 5M? What's he not fixing, the front door onto your apt??
Catch my drift?

Offline drewwwdc1

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:59 AM »
Just tell your landlord you need to move.  He would then put your place up for rent/lease.  You will have to pay the real estate agent fee, a few hundred dollars.
My last landlord gave me two options
1.  Wait until he finds a new tenant and pay the real estate fee of around 300,000W
2.  Pay an extra month's rent and move right away
If he lazy about finding a new tenant, I think you can go to the nearest real estate office and try to find a new tenant on your own.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 11:55:02 AM »
You're prepared to take a loss of 5M? What's he not fixing, the front door onto your apt??

Noisy air conditioner.  I cannot adequately describe how noisy and loud with pulsing sound waves it is.  Even with ear plugs, the pulsing sound wave goes right through.  He won't fix it.  He just lies, makes excuses and claims not to hear anything because he doesn't want to fix it.  He's such a douche I don't even want to see him.  But if he doesn't let me out, I will call him and knock on his door everyday even after air conditioner season ends.  I will be gone in a couple of weeks for most of August though.  So, it's a lot of hotels and motels for now.  But when I get back, that is when I will try to leave.  I just wondered what the options are.  Just harass him repeatedly everyday I guess until he finally gets sick of me.

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:20:43 PM »

Noisy air conditioner.  I cannot adequately describe how noisy and loud with pulsing sound waves it is.  Even with ear plugs, the pulsing sound wave goes right through.  He won't fix it.  He just lies, makes excuses and claims not to hear anything because he doesn't want to fix it.  He's such a douche I don't even want to see him.  But if he doesn't let me out, I will call him and knock on his door everyday even after air conditioner season ends.  I will be gone in a couple of weeks for most of August though.  So, it's a lot of hotels and motels for now.  But when I get back, that is when I will try to leave.  I just wondered what the options are.  Just harass him repeatedly everyday I guess until he finally gets sick of me.
Dude, you can get a new air con for much much less than 5 million at your local Emart, installed.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 03:03:20 PM »
It's the person up above me.  Their air conditioner.  Landlord won't fix it and claims "she doesn't hear the noise" and that I must be lying.  If it weren't for Korean laws, I'd punch him in the face.  He keeps telling me it's not a problem when I am the one who is there lying awake each night and know that it is.  He can go f himself.  When I get back from my trip, I'll knock on his door often and call him repeatedly even after the season has passed.  Maybe, he'll get so sick of dealing with me that he'll just let me out of my lease then.  It's the principal of it.  It's his building not mine. 

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 03:14:35 PM »
It's the person up above me.  Their air conditioner.  Landlord won't fix it and claims "she doesn't hear the noise" and that I must be lying.  If it weren't for Korean laws, I'd punch him in the face.  He keeps telling me it's not a problem when I am the one who is there lying awake each night and know that it is.  He can go f himself.  When I get back from my trip, I'll knock on his door often and call him repeatedly even after the season has passed.  Maybe, he'll get so sick of dealing with me that he'll just let me out of my lease then.  It's the principal of it.  It's his building not mine.

Go talk to the person above you.  Ask her if she finds it noisy.  If she says yes, then you can ask your landlord why he lied to you.  If he has no excuse, he either has to act or admit he is a ****!

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 04:56:18 PM »
Person above me claims it's not noisy.  I am sure it is probably not in their place as the noise is filtering down to my place and transmitting through the wall.  Either way, it's my right as a tenant to not listen to it. 

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 06:21:11 PM »
Who owns the air con unit? The guy above or his landlord?

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 12:04:23 PM »

The landlord owns it as a part of the building but it is from the upper persons apartment.  I figured I would call the landlord everyday about and annoy this shit out of the landlord till he agrees?  Otherwise, I'm screwed? 

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »

The landlord owns it as a part of the building but it is from the upper persons apartment.  I figured I would call the landlord everyday about and annoy this shit out of the landlord till he agrees?  Otherwise, I'm screwed?

can you not record the sound to either play back to him, or play on speakers when you are not in to give the others a taste of it?

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »

can you not record the sound to either play back to him, or play on speakers when you are not in to give the others a taste of it?

Does that really work?  I doubt it will carry much of the sound or communicate how bad it is.  Moot point.  I complained and got them to agree to allow me to move out in the autumn. Maybe by October and get my deposit back.  I spent 5 million.  I will upgrade to a bigger better place for 10 million.  I love those credit card cash advances.  Ha ha.