September 26, 2018, 04:30:31 AM

Author Topic: Your Favourite Thing About Korea So Far  (Read 2867 times)

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
Re: Your Favourite Thing About Korea So Far
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
 -      I like Korean food: it's not the most amazing food out there, but so long as your'e not experiencing it through a school cafeteria, it can be pretty darn good (assuming you're okay with the ubiquitous spicy/sour palette, which I definitely am).
    What I especially like most about the food here is the social aspect: couple a few cheap cuts of meat with some fermented vegetables and some very mediocre beverages, and you have the recipe for an awesome BBQ night with your friends. There's something to be said about a meal that encourages you to linger and socialize, rather than just digging in and getting it over and done with in a few minutes.

- Day tripping is really convenient here. Exploring new areas is incredibly easy to do. All the cities essentially look the same, but seeing as I don't travel to check out cities, that doesn't really bother me. Hiking, shrines, and beaches. +1!

- There's surfing here! I mean, there's surfing in a lot of places, but here you don't wear a drysuit and light a bonfire on the beach to stave of hypothermia, which is nice!

- People here are easy to meet. Expats tend to stick together and there are a bajillion sports/hobby clubs to take part in, so making new friends isn't terribly difficult. Many Koreans are interested in us as well, so striking up casual friendships with them isn't a problem either.

- If I screw up my life badly enough here, I can always go home and pretend it didn't happen AND NOBODY WILL EVER KNOW!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:32:01 AM by kyndo »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »
I decided to have a swig of pepsi. Holy shit. Maybe it's just Korean pepsi, but the tatse can only be described as bizarre. Medicine mixed with random chemicals and sugar.

No, that's Pepsi.

Although you could have gotten a batch that has been chilling next to the radiator for 6 months.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
I'm with some of you guys in that the more I eat Korean food, the less I care about it. I'm not a fan of spicy food to begin with. And when I really think about what foods I really like here, it's usually 돈까스 or 자짱면, which is Japanese and Chinese pretty much.

It was nice to try something different for a while, but I can't bring myself to say it's my favorite thing here.

The only Korean food I regularly eat are the school lunches. But, a lot of it is just bland rice, soup and assorted vegetables with little to no flavor.

I like eating fish but every Korean fish dish is served whole. No, I don't want to spend my meal time removing bones with chopsticks. Just give me a nice piece of filleted salmon or cod.

The fish is really good and would be 100 times better if half the meal wasn't spent picking out bones.

what about kimchi? i used to enjoy eating it daily. these days, i hardly ever eat it

maybe it's because i am forced to keep it in the fridge, and the pong that emanates when i open the fridge is unbearable. i mean, truly disgusting - this is an objective fact. that puts me off, certainly

also, eating kimchi every day is boring in itself. not sure how people eat it 3 times a day

anyone else get bored of it?

I don't even touch it at this point. Any restaurants I go to regularly know not to give me kimchi now.
The World Ends With You

donovan

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
1+1 on Pepsi 365 days of the year in ministop.

:azn:

This is the difference between just living in Korea and truly experiencing it.

- If I screw up my life badly enough here, I can always go home and pretend it didn't happen AND NOBODY WILL EVER KNOW!  :smiley:

And then when you repeat the pattern back home, you always have somewhere you can return to :-* (and THEY'LL never know! :evil:)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »
what about kimchi? i used to enjoy eating it daily. these days, i hardly ever eat it

maybe it's because i am forced to keep it in the fridge, and the pong that emanates when i open the fridge is unbearable. i mean, truly disgusting - this is an objective fact. that puts me off, certainly

also, eating kimchi every day is boring in itself. not sure how people eat it 3 times a day

Aren't you married to a Korean person? Why don't you guys have a kimchi fridge? Keeping kimchi in your normal fridge is miserable. It makes everything stink like kimchi and makes the area surrounding your fridge smell like kimchi. Everything then smells like kimchi.

Also re: your question, I eat kimchi at two meals every day. I can't stand junk kimchi though, like the kind you get at your random kimbap restaurant. But if it's good, homemade stuff, or at least ordered from a decent online seller, and you have a few varieties, I think it's varied enough to keep me from getting bored of it. I very rarely eat the same kind of kimchi two meals in a row, so that helps me not get tired of it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:51:20 AM by #basedcowboyshirt »

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2018, 11:54:11 AM »

- There's surfing here! I mean, there's surfing in a lot of places, but here you don't wear a drysuit and light a bonfire on the beach to stave of hypothermia, which is nice!

- People here are easy to meet. Expats tend to stick together and there are a bajillion sports/hobby clubs to take part in, so making new friends isn't terribly difficult. Many Koreans are interested in us as well, so striking up casual friendships with them isn't a problem either.

Waygook.org user kyndo, where do you surf here? 양양?

Also, I feel like it's exceptionally difficult to meet new people here after you've been here for a while. But that might just be my experience.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2018, 11:57:55 AM »

Aren't you married to a Korean person? Why don't you guys have a kimchi fridge? Keeping kimchi in your normal fridge is miserable. It makes everything stink like kimchi and makes the area surrounding your fridge smell like kimchi. Everything then smells like kimchi.

Also re: your question, I eat kimchi at two meals every day. I can't stand junk kimchi though, like the kind you get at your random kimbap restaurant. But if it's good, homemade stuff, or at least ordered from a decent online seller, and you have a few varieties, I think it's varied enough to keep me from getting bored of it. I very rarely eat the same kind of kimchi two meals in a row, so that helps me not get tired of it.
yes. tell me about it. my wife for some reason doesn't mind the smell. but, honestly, it smells worse that a decomposing animal. i've never spelt worse-smelling kimchi. it is truly insane. moving in a month to a bigger place soon and a kimchi fridge is the first thing i'll be buying. no space for one at the moment   :cry:

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
This- keep it varied and treat it like the inbetween side dish and garnish that it is.

The key to making any food taste good is to be hungry when you eat, and to eat what you do in moderation.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:58:59 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »

yes. tell me about it. my wife for some reason doesn't mind the smell. but, honestly, it smells worse that a decomposing animal. i've never spelt worse-smelling kimchi. it is truly insane. moving in a month to a bigger place soon and a kimchi fridge is the first thing i'll be buying. no space for one at the moment   :cry:

Fair. We don't have a kimchi fridge, but we make our own kimchi and don't let it ripen too much, so there's always a bit of a funk to our fridge, but I honestly don't mind it too much.

But if you're getting kimchi from relatives and it's reaaaaaal ripe and it's got that stank, then yeah, keeping that in a normal fridge is the worst. You're totally right on the 'decomposing animal' comparison.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »

Also, I feel like it's exceptionally difficult to meet new people here after you've been here for a while. But that might just be my experience.

I've surfed here over the years, but only do so on occasion these days... after a couple hours driving to the beach, it's usually disappointing.
Korea is pretty shitty for surfing, particularly shortboarders.

I've surfed around 양양 quite a few times, you need a 5ml, with hood, gloves, booties and preferably gloves in winter, windchill is a killer. The waves are usually better in winter, but tend to close-out more often than not. During summer, you can wear a 3ml, but it's not nearly as consistent as winter.

Down in Busan, I've had a few little fun surfs at 송정. It's a light little beach break with a few fun little double ups and sections. However, most of the time, you're going to get 6 inch waves. When there are waves, there's a chance those ridiculous little lifeguards are going to give you grief for going out.

On the west coast, there's 마리포. I've seen pictures of this place looking ok-ish. I've been there 3 times and each time it was disappointing.

The problem with Korea is... Japan ;D.
Japan blocks off any swell to Korea and your only hope when you get a storm off the West coast of Japan.

donovan

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
The problem with Korea is... Japan ;D.
Japan blocks off any swell to Korea

Can we all agree that this millennia-long blockade is an objective reason for Korea to hate Japan, and were it not for Japan, Korea would be far better off?

The real battle for Dokdo is not fought by soldiers, but by kooks.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 09:30:37 AM »

양양 and Jeju, and some areas near Busan are obviously the best places for surf in Korea, and even they're not great (like Aristocat mentioned, Japan's to blame for this, as usual).

But all of these places are a bit too far away for an afternoon, so instead I go to some of the beaches between Pohang and Yeondeok. They're not great, but enough that on a good day you can get in a few runs, and if not, well, the beaches are small enough that there aren't any lifeguards, so the swimming is nice.  :smiley:

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 12:08:41 PM »
- Cheap rent.
- Cheap bills.
- Cheap food and drink.
- It doesn't get dark at 15:30 in the winter.
- Fast deliveries.

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »
I'm with some of you guys in that the more I eat Korean food, the less I care about it. I'm not a fan of spicy food to begin with. And when I really think about what foods I really like here, it's usually 돈까스 or 자짱면, which is Japanese and Chinese pretty much.

It was nice to try something different for a while, but I can't bring myself to say it's my favorite thing here.

Just wondering when Korean food got spicy? My average meal is like lava compared to Korean food. Tom Yum Goong, Tom Yum Pa, Papaya salad, noodle soup with chilies and on and on
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »

Just wondering when Korean food got spicy? My average meal is like lava compared to Korean food. Tom Yum Goong, Tom Yum Pa, Papaya salad, noodle soup with chilies and on and on

Yeah, for the most part a lot of Korean food is red, but very little of it is actually spicy.

Things that are spicy are usually just gimmick spicy things, like 불닭발 or something. Occasionally you'll get a pepper that's actually hot. But really, I can't think of a lot of common, everyday foods that are spicy here.

Offline elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »

I'm almost the opposite.  I find a lot of Korean food to be spicy (and almost too spicy to handle), but I can chow down on Thai , Indian, and Mexican like a local.
Idk, maybe it's just different taste receptors?

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »

This- keep it varied and treat it like the inbetween side dish and garnish that it is.

The key to making any food taste good is to be hungry when you eat, and to eat what you do in moderation.
What on earth are you talking about?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »

What on earth are you talking about?

Quoted the wrong post from basedcowboy. I'll go fix it. Thanks for noticing.

Offline JVPrice

• Super Waygook
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2018, 07:25:02 AM »

I'm almost the opposite.  I find a lot of Korean food to be spicy (and almost too spicy to handle), but I can chow down on Thai , Indian, and Mexican like a local.
Idk, maybe it's just different taste receptors?

It's all about palettes I would think. I didn't grow up eating spicy food, and always had a distaste for it. Probably doesn't help that I eat a loooot of dairy, which is pretty much adverse to spiciness.
The World Ends With You

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2018, 12:23:44 PM »
(1) Fermented Stingray.
(2) Sea squirt Sashimi.