July 16, 2018, 06:50:19 PM

Author Topic: What is it like living in Gangnam? (Potential public school job)  (Read 1250 times)

Online metzy244

• Veteran
Re: What is it like living in Gangnam? (Potential public school job)
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »
Many places in Gangnam now don't do deposits, or a minimal deposit (maybe 2-3 months of rent), for higher rents. I think your housing situation would be at least as good as it would be living in a one-room chosen for you by someone else.

You don't have to live in Gangnam if you work there. You could, for example, live in HBC, where you could rent a two-bedroom apartment for as little as 600-700k a month and a deposit of 3-5 million.

I was told it was 24 teaching hours a week.  And they do a 900k housing allowance only.  I was looking on craigslist, and saw rooms that only require a 1mil won deposit, so that's doable.  I wouldn't mind commuting by bike to Gangnam.
My fear was having spoiled brats as students, all the korean restaurants being overpriced (went to a cheap samgyeopsal place, was over 20k a person), and no real personality to the area.  I'm just not into the rich and image based lifestyle I saw when visiting there.  But a few people here have told me it's quite nice.  I'll know more on Monday.       

Online klingki

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
Isn't it a lot like Psy's music video about the style of gangnam? :P

Pretty much; except there aren't any horses. Gwacheon is close, though!

The trips to the horses lost something when they ditched the 'foreigner area' upstairs about 6 years ago.  I liked sitting there and losing my money, now I have to sit elsewhere and lose money.   :sad:

As of at least a couple months ago, there is an upstairs foreigner area.  I know because sat up there and lost my money!  :laugh:

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
Will your school or someone from the education office help you find a place through the budongsan?  I know there is the jikbang and other apps.  Not sure how fake or real they are or if some do bait and switch? 

https://zigbang.com/

Online cheolsu

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
I don't think there's any support from the school or education office for that. I found my current place on Zigbang and the one before that on its competitor Dabang. It may be better to see them as introductions to real estate agents, though the last time I looked, they were pretty good about actually showing the places I asked for. It might be worse in Gangnam, as I remember looking in Gangnam and not having any of the places I looked at actually be available.

With even a little bit of savings for a deposit, you can make 900,000 won a month go quite far, certainly as good as the random places most schools must find their teachers. Check out Eden Realty, for example (http://edenrealty.co.kr/), which tends to have a lot in the way of size, less so in the way of quality, but it'll give you an idea of the types of things you can do with 900,000 won.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
I am wondering about this myself? 

I wonder if some rental agents and building owners would refuse to rent unless you had a Korean ajossi go with you.

It seems what I have found for a 5 to 10 or even 20 million deposit if you don't mind an older place that has had some renovation to it, you can find places within the 900 k allowance?  I just wonder what those working for SMOE do?  They only get 500 K?  Given the prices of Seoul, it seems too low. 

https://www.zigbang.com/search/map?lat=37.50081&lng=127.0369&zoom=4&GGKW=google

Just out of curiosity?  You apply to their education office directly?  I assume this is mostly for experienced teachers?  This also has lots of middle and high schools?

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
Will your school or someone from the education office help you find a place through the budongsan?  I know there is the jikbang and other apps.  Not sure how fake or real they are or if some do bait and switch? 

I had a Korean friend tell me that lots of the properties posted on those apps are bait and switch situations; however, I've also had multiple people tell me that they found their place through one of those apps.

Online cheolsu

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 01:33:18 PM »
I wonder if some rental agents and building owners would refuse to rent unless you had a Korean ajossi go with you.

This might have been the case several years ago, and I've loosely heard of this, but I've never had this happen. I'm dark-skinned and I've looked at dozens of apartments. Most places I've looked at haven't had the landlord present. I don't think many of my landlords had any idea what I looked like. Real estate agents, like recruiters, just want to get paid. That said, I'm in my 30s and speak Korean.

It seems what I have found for a 5 to 10 or even 20 million deposit if you don't mind an older place that has had some renovation to it, you can find places within the 900 k allowance?  I just wonder what those working for SMOE do?  They only get 500 K?  Given the prices of Seoul, it seems too low.

https://www.zigbang.com/search/map?lat=37.50081&lng=127.0369&zoom=4&GGKW=google

The SMOE housing allowance is on the low side and you'd probably need about a 10 million deposit to get a standard  one-room, but the jump from 500 to 900 allows for a lot more options, particularly as landlords increasingly prefer monthly rent to larger deposits.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »
Note: 'housing allowance' is just 'salary' taxed differently. You can spend as much or as little of your salary as you want on housing, whether it be more or less than 900k won. Even in Gangnam, if you're spending 900k a month for a modest one room, you're spending too much.

Online metzy244

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »

I applied directly to the Gangam District Office from an ad on Daves ESL.  They were looking for Elementary and Middle School teachers.  They could be still looking for middle school.
And I'm on my own as far as housing goes...I saw a realtor who helps English teachers find apts on craigslist...and that's about it as far as apt hunting.  I'll def check out the other sites.