September 21, 2018, 11:52:43 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Job offers, teaching in Korea/Asia vs Saudi Arabia  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Bulldogs12

• Veteran
Job offers, teaching in Korea/Asia vs Saudi Arabia
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:14:02 AM »
I'm a 41 year old guy who's previously taught in Korea (child students) and China (a mix of children and adults). I've been offered a university position with hotel accommodation in a smaller Saudi city. I was just wondering if anyone has taught and lived in Saudi Arabia; is it in anyway comparable to Korea/Asia? How was your experience and was it easy to save money? My offer is 25 hours per week for around $3500 USD per month at a university (free accommodation and paid flights with a contracted period from September to May/June).

Online gogators!

• The Legend
Re: Job offers, teaching in Korea/Asia vs Saudi Arabia
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 04:41:35 AM »
I'm a 41 year old guy who's previously taught in Korea (child students) and China (a mix of children and adults). I've been offered a university position with hotel accommodation in a smaller Saudi city. I was just wondering if anyone has taught and lived in Saudi Arabia; is it in anyway comparable to Korea/Asia? How was your experience and was it easy to save money? My offer is 25 hours per week for around $3500 USD per month at a university (free accommodation and paid flights with a contracted period from September to May/June).
No.

If it's a one-year of less contract with a reputable university, take the money and if you don't like it, after the contract's up, run.

It's easy to save money if you want to. The problem is the boredom and the potential danger.

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »
No.

If it's a one-year of less contract with a reputable university, take the money and if you don't like it, after the contract's up, run.

It's easy to save money if you want to. The problem is the boredom and the potential danger.

You've taught there? (I'm guessing the OP's question was for people who have taught both here and there.)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 02:44:09 PM »
The fact that this place is JUST NOW allowing women to drive, I'm going to give going to Saudi Arabia A HARD NO!!!

Offline grajoker

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 04:28:26 PM »
Things are changing fast and for he good of teachers as well.
Its a great place to come save. Stay a year or two and you'll fall in love with the people; food and dessert.

Offline chuyinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
If I received that offer....I would have one last crazy af weekend in Seoul pack my bags and head out! Adios Corea! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 09:17:16 AM »
Its a great place to come save. Stay a year or two and you'll fall in love with the people; food and dessert.

yep if you have nothing specific tying you to Korea, go for it!

Quote from: Gogators
The problem is the boredom

Korea is hardly famed as the most scintillating place. Boredom and isolation is what a lot of eslers experience in Korea.

Catch my drift?

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »

Changing fast???  I'm not sure about all of that.  Just a few days ago a guy in Saudi Arabia was arrested for just having a damn coffee with a woman who he considered his friend.  NOT EVEN SOMEONE he fancied.  NOT TO MENTION, she was always dress in full niqab so it's not like she was wearing short shorts and a bikini top.  Damn the cops there treated the pair like that were engaging in an orgy or something.  Just a damn coffee.  I don't know but if I was a dude that like to get laid every so often Saudi Arabia would be like joining a monastery.    :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
I have never been to Saudi Arabia, but the good you will get from there is the money, that's it.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:24:27 PM »

yep if you have nothing specific tying you to Korea, go for it!

Quote from: Gogators
The problem is the boredom

Korea is hardly famed as the most scintillating place. Boredom and isolation is what a lot of eslers experience in Korea.
Boredom is entirely one's own doing. Period.

Isolation, if not geographic, is too.

I've been in Korea over 10 years, and while "scintillating" isn't a word I'd apply, pleasant, enjoyable and interesting are.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 09:36:43 PM »
If I received that offer....I would have one last crazy af weekend in Seoul pack my bags and head out! Adios Corea! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Dunno about that.

It's about $500 more than I make, granted, but it's 3 hours--probably not 40 minute "hours"--more than I teach, and living in one of the most repressive regimes in the world.

I've had three friends (two men, one woman) who worked there, and all of them made much, much more than that. Did it until their contract ended and wouldn't go back.  Speaks for itself.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 07:39:48 AM »
I've had three friends (two men, one woman) who worked there, and all of them made much, much more than that. Did it until their contract ended and wouldn't go back.  Speaks for itself.

Had one friend do it. He did his time but he practically dropkicked himself out of there once his contract ended. Told me the money was good, but that it wasn't worth it unless you're a literal hermit who also doesn't mind mosquitoes eating you alive and dust getting into everything.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »

Had one friend do it. He did his time but he practically dropkicked himself out of there once his contract ended. Told me the money was good, but that it wasn't worth it unless you're a literal hermit who also doesn't mind mosquitoes eating you alive and dust getting into everything.

I had a female friend who worked at a female university in SA and she hated living in SA, but loved her students.  She told me the Philippine bus driver at her uni was on a slave like 6 year contract and couldn't leave the country because he couldn't get an exit visa.  Basically, they own you.  Plus the fact you live in a 'compound'.  Just sounds awful. 

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »

How much money with just a bachelors and some ESL experience in Korea?  Free housing and utilities paid?  Decent housing?  Stay on a compound? 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:54:48 PM by hangook77 »

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »

Make good cakes, do they?

Offline debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 01:04:11 PM »
My friend did it for a year and loved it. Granted, after a year they were ready to leave. I guess if you wanna save some serious money it's worth it, my friend also got loads of time off and two flights a year home paid for. Not too shabby.

This guy is certainly no hermit either. There are certain places, usually reserved for foreigners, to go and drink etc,

It was tough sometimes but Korea can be too...

Go for it! If it's just a year contract...you've got nothing to lose, year goes by in the blink of an eye.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
I go back and forth, perhaps towards the end of my ESL career, when I need one last lap to really cash in.

Yes, all the food will be halal and I won't have to shell out nearly $8000 X2 to go on Hadj, as Mecca will be on my doorstep, but friends have told me of their students being ridiculously spoilt brats. I'm fine being a hermit for a year or two if it means making money; I can practice my music, learn Arabic or hit the gym. I really think you have a drinking problem if you can't stay away from alcohol for a year if it means more money. What worries me is sheer boredom, heat (I don't tolerate high temps well) and taking a chance with a new workplace.

Offline daktariB

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
My sister and her hubby has been there for 5 years now, after doing 5 years in Korea.

They wouldn't leave, because the money is awesome number 1, travelling from Saudi is cheap and Saudi is central. Cost of living is cheap, I had to hear all the comparisons my mom gave  me when she visited SK. Saying Saudi is def much cheaper.

There's a huge expat community, and the compounds have everything you need, I guess they do it like that as some schools are really in the 'sticks' so to say. Uber is really popular, so you catch an Uber if you want to travel to a bigger city.

If it's only 1 year- go for it. You get a crap load of holidays and can use that time to explore. This year my sis was off from May till end of Aug- likely seriously- here we look forward to 10+ days in winter vacay.

I say give it go- what's the worst thing that could happen?

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »
My friend did it for a year and loved it. Granted, after a year they were ready to leave. I guess if you wanna save some serious money it's worth it, my friend also got loads of time off and two flights a year home paid for. Not too shabby.

This guy is certainly no hermit either. There are certain places, usually reserved for foreigners, to go and drink etc,

It was tough sometimes but Korea can be too...

Go for it! If it's just a year contract...you've got nothing to lose, year goes by in the blink of an eye.

Saudi sounds pretty awful and I have no interest in middle eastern countries, but I'm almost starting to consider it because Korea simply doesn't pay enough anymore, especially for the amount of stress you're expected to absorb.

2.2 might have been ok in 2002,  but 2018?? Inflation alone has been on steroids for the past 5 years.

Catch my drift?

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »

I say give it go- what's the worst thing that could happen?

Umm this....

I will say this though, I actually have a gay friend who has been in SA for 6 years I believe, and he is now the head foreign teacher at his school and gets paid boat loads with massive time off.  He even had a Saudi boyfriend for a minute.  So it's not impossible to "be up to things"  but it's also a risk to take.  As far as straight guys I think the Saudi government doesn't seem to care if you shack up with Filipina workers but OBVISIOUSLY their women are off limits.