September 26, 2018, 02:20:53 PM

Author Topic: Transferring to Seoul Spring 2018??  (Read 574 times)

Offline jackiejoiner93

• Newgookin
Transferring to Seoul Spring 2018??
« on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »
I'm currently teaching in Korea with EPIK and I want to transfer from Gyeongbuk to SMOE. I know I have to go through the whole application process again but I REALLY want Seoul. I want to know if my odds are good for getting placed in Seoul during the Spring intake?

Offline alanO

• Newgookin
Re: Transferring to Seoul Spring 2018??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »
From what I've been told - anyone south of Seoul cannot apply for Seoul next year due to contract dates overlapping... by one day. Call EPIK to be 100% sure but this information comes from a friend who checked with EPIK himself.

Offline LessonPlanningProfile

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »
Unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer to Seoul from any other location with EPIK. The contracts overlap by one day, as alanO said, and because of this you cannot renew your visa. They will not accept letters of release, sick days, or holidays on your last day to fix it, it is impossible to work around.

Your only option if you want to teach with EPIK in Seoul is to finish your current contract and then go through the entire application process again for the following semester. For example, if your current contract expires February 2019, you need to finish that contract and apply to work in Seoul starting in August 2019.

I don't know what the odds of getting placed in Seoul are, but if you contact EPIK they will tell you which semester Seoul hires the most people for. I hope this information helps, best of luck.

Offline adteacher

• Newgookin
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
EPIK is a government funded recruitment agency for SMOE.

Skip the middle-man and apply directly to SMOE without fear of being randomly placed in the boonies.

http://etis.sen.go.kr/131377/subMenu.do

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 01:46:44 PM »
From what I've been told - anyone south of Seoul cannot apply for Seoul next year due to contract dates overlapping... by one day. Call EPIK to be 100% sure but this information comes from a friend who checked with EPIK himself.

Really?  Is this deliberate?  The folks at SMOE seem like a bunch of @$$h0les if they can't make an exception for one day or set this up deliberately.  (Or maybe it's EPIK's fault.)

Offline debbiem89

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »
Ahh the dates overlapping prevented me from transferring to Seoul fall 2017 too. So unfair and annoying. (I also wanted to transfer from Gyeongbuk to Seoul). Going home just wasn't an option for me sadly.

It meant that pretty much every single newcomer that requested Seoul got it right off the bat during that intake (well from the ones I spoke to/heard of).

I'm still sore.

Offline pizzaman

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »
The contract overlap is only for the Fall term. For the Spring term, there is no issue.

In the Fall term this is only an issue if you want to transfer to Gyeonggi or Seoul.

Contracts can't overlap for visa purposes. You would need to get a letter of release and then register your new school within 15 days. Obviously, this is a hassle that EPIK or Seoul/Gyeonggi don't want to deal with as you would also be technically breaking your old contract early and you wouldn't be eligible for certain benefits such as the exit allowance/severance pay, etc.