August 20, 2018, 04:47:03 AM

Author Topic: Stupid questions Koreans ask  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
Re: Stupid questions Koreans ask
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
I'm sure you can imagine a situation in which that question would come off as creepy or, at the very least, inappropriate.

Sorry, I didn't realise it was another 'things creepy guys say to me when they're hitting on me' type thread.

If that's how you hit on a woman who doesn't seem interested, it's a very stupid question. If you've heard it asked by Koreans often enough and are not used to hearing it from anyone else, it belongs in this thread. CO2 has apparently been asked similar questions. I don't assume he was being hit on, but I could be wrong.

Every question CO2 gets is a loaded entendre.  In GS25, when he went to the checkout with a 'jamchi-samgark-keembab' and the clerk mentioned a '1+1' offer.  His head exploded.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
Waygook.org user eggieguffer, sometimes I feel like you're being deliberately obtuse or or playing up your 'I'm old and don't believe in all that PC baloney! Aw shucks!' schtick.

But sometimes I think it might actually be sincere. 

You really need to get out of your bubble. Nothing I've ever said on these boards is half as anti-PC as the average normal person sitting in a Western pub. Or the majority of Koreans for that matter
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:01:41 PM by eggieguffer »

donovan

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
I'm sure you can imagine a situation in which that question would come off as creepy or, at the very least, inappropriate.

Sorry, I didn't realise it was another 'things creepy guys say to me when they're hitting on me' type thread.

If that's how you hit on a woman who doesn't seem interested, it's a very stupid question. If you've heard it asked by Koreans often enough and are not used to hearing it from anyone else, it belongs in this thread. CO2 has apparently been asked similar questions. I don't assume he was being hit on, but I could be wrong.

Every question CO2 gets is a loaded entendre.  In GS25, when he went to the checkout with a 'jamchi-samgark-keembab' and the clerk mentioned a '1+1' offer.  His head exploded.

But in that case they really did go to the motel together!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
Now I'm a pro! Need a fish deboned? No problem. The slipperiest noodles? I got em  :wink:

PP, this is the real test..

Doh-two-rhee-muck

Ooooh yeah you have to get the pressure just right.

:smiley: Do you want a spoon for that?

>:( No thaannnnks, I can do this!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2018, 11:59:47 AM »
The hell are you guys talking about? hahaha

Ajeossis, when they bring up small talk, always ask me where I live.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »
Now I'm a pro! Need a fish deboned? No problem. The slipperiest noodles? I got em  :wink:

Doh-two-rhee-muck

:smiley: Do you want a spoon for that?

>:( No thaannnnks, I can do this!

Isn't it too spicy?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2018, 12:05:16 PM »
Waygook.org user eggieguffer, sometimes I feel like you're being deliberately obtuse or or playing up your 'I'm old and don't believe in all that PC baloney! Aw shucks!' schtick.

But sometimes I think it might actually be sincere. 

You really need to get out of your bubble. Nothing I've ever said on these boards is half as anti-PC as the average normal person sitting in a Western pub. Or the majority of Koreans for that matter

You seem to make a habit of unintentionally rubbing people up the wrong way. Just a bit of friendly advice but have you considered that the fault might lie with the way you express
yourself rather than how people interpret you?

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »

Doh-two-rhee-muck

Or use a spoon as most Koreans do...

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »
Someone should tell Cambridge, as that's one of the questions in the first section of the IELTS speaking test. Female candidates might be being triggered on a weekly basis

Yeah, next time I'll specify that this isn't during a speaking exam and that the answers I'm getting pushed to provide aren't appropriate to the "context" behind the question. It's not like every other adult wouldn't already assume that or anything, or that I hadn't provided you with enough info for you to get that whatever you're trying to imply isn't the case of my complaint.

A city or general dong answer should be enough in most cases... but what if over 50% of the time you're asked the question you get pushed for the specific name of your street? Why dafuq would a stranger need to know that? Follow that up with "Do you live alone?" getting asked a good chunk of those times as well, and a person tends to get their guard up. I don't care if it's just "harmless" curiosity that's driving it, it's still inappropriate and annoying as hell to deal with.

But sure, you can try to convince everyone here that this is a perfectly acceptable social norm and nothing bad has ever happened to anyone naive enough to answer it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:10:21 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »
But sure, you can try to convince everyone here that this is a perfectly acceptable social norm

Asking someone where they live is a perfectly acceptable social norm. You added the context and extra questions later.

donovan

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
But sure, you can try to convince everyone here that this is a perfectly acceptable social norm

Asking someone where they live is a perfectly acceptable social norm. You added the context and extra questions later.
아아아아이구~!

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »

아아아아이구~!

..-. .. -. .     -... -.--     -- .

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »

Okay, thanks for misrepresenting my argument again, totally establishes you as an authority and everything. Asking someone what street they live on is NOT a perfectly acceptable social norm. And I provided you with enough info prior to your statement that I had to respond to with that wonderful piece of common sense for you to have enough reason not to make those comments in the first place.

The point of the thread was to list questions that you find stupid or annoying. I did that.

You zeroed in on one because it triggered you. I humored you and provided you with extra info for why I myself specifically find it a stupid question even though it's a fairly well-known gripe that many expats here in Korea share for various reasons. You followed up with a not-so-subtle implication that this was another case of hysterical and irrational female fear (premeditated, you were just looking for an excuse to shit it out), despite being provided with enough info to put 2-and-2 together and also being a fellow expat who has lived in Korea long enough to know the many reasons why someone might find the question annoying. But you only cared about the one, which you approached with a loaded question of your own, and you were so quick to try to plug your agenda and invalidate MY reasons for finding the question annoying that you completely ignored the details I provided before.

No one else had a problem with the question. No one else had a problem with understanding why an expat would find that question annoying or problematic. No one else is trying to pick a fight over it. No one else has been acting like a condescending dick about it. You didn't approach this like a person who was honestly just trying to understand. You approached it like a straw man.

The problem really is just you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:59:42 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »

아아아아이구~!

..-. .. -. .     -... -.--     -- .
At first, I thought it was supposed to be a snake slithering away, then a bunch of censored invective. Then I thought of Morse code. Got it on the third try, which is fine by me.  :smiley:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2018, 01:58:37 PM »

Doh-two-rhee-muck

Or use a spoon as most Koreans do...

I just stab it. 

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »

Okay, thanks for misrepresenting my argument again, totally establishes you as an authority and everything. Asking someone what street they live on is NOT a perfectly acceptable social norm. And I provided you with enough info prior to your statement that I had to respond to with that wonderful piece of common sense for you to have enough reason not to make those comments in the first place.

The point of the thread was to list questions that you find stupid or annoying. I did that.

You zeroed in on one because it triggered you. I humored you and provided you with extra info for why I myself specifically find it a stupid question even though it's a fairly well-known gripe that many expats here in Korea share for various reasons. You followed up with a not-so-subtle implication that this was another case of hysterical and irrational female fear (premeditated, you were just looking for an excuse to shit it out), despite being provided with enough info to put 2-and-2 together and also being a fellow expat who has lived in Korea long enough to know the many reasons why someone might find the question annoying. But you only cared about the one, which you approached with a loaded question of your own, and you were so quick to try to plug your agenda and invalidate MY reasons for finding the question annoying that you completely ignored the details I provided before.

No one else had a problem with the question. No one else had a problem with understanding why an expat would find that question annoying or problematic. No one else is trying to pick a fight over it. No one else has been acting like a condescending dick about it. You didn't approach this like a person who was honestly just trying to understand. You approached it like a straw man.

The problem really is just you.

Tch, tch always with the profanities, personal attacks and amateur psychology.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2018, 03:12:25 PM »
Tch, tch always with the profanities, personal attacks and amateur psychology.

Don't kid yourself, this was always about you.

Don't dish out what you can't take. When you approach people with fighting words, it doesn't matter how you dress them up: they're still going to get treated like fighting words. You're not the only one who's allowed to call people out on their bullshit. You're just really bad at it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:25:11 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »
My opinion on most of these questions- If this is all it takes to get you bent out of shape, you need sterner stuff.

I get that being asked "Can/Have/Do you...?" for the 100th time can be wearying, but it's the kind of weary that's in and out of my mind after about 2 seconds.

And this will of course be followed by the inevitable "How come Koreans don't talk to me?!?!?!" thread or "How come no one smiles?" or some other inane complaint relating to a lack of attention.

I mean, considering our average level of Korean, I'm not sure many of us would be asking deep or unique questions if our colleagues only spoke Korean and we tried to make conversation.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2018, 04:26:15 PM »
My opinion on most of these questions- If this is all it takes to get you bent out of shape, you need sterner stuff.

I get that being asked "Can/Have/Do you...?" for the 100th time can be wearying, but it's the kind of weary that's in and out of my mind after about 2 seconds.

And this will of course be followed by the inevitable "How come Koreans don't talk to me?!?!?!" thread or "How come no one smiles?" or some other inane complaint relating to a lack of attention.

I mean, considering our average level of Korean, I'm not sure many of us would be asking deep or unique questions if our colleagues only spoke Korean and we tried to make conversation.

Most of these things are exactly like the things minorities back home call micro aggressions. E.g. asking a dark skinned person where they're from or an Asian person if they're good at maths. If you find them mildly irritating, fair enough, if you want to ban them or go online and make youtube videos/whinge about them exhaustively, people will lose patience pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:28:09 PM by eggieguffer »

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2018, 07:02:51 PM »
Where do you live?
Do you live alone?
How much money do you make?

These questions never fail to urk me. They aren't the worst I've been asked, but they're the worst of the most common.

Or: What's your phone number?

At which point I usually explain that I don't give out my number to anybody unless I've known them for a while. Which basically ends the conversation.

Its a pity because some of the times they are genuinely being friendly, its just that you don't know what they'll do with the information.
Catch my drift?