September 26, 2018, 02:51:19 PM

Author Topic: 2018 Footie World Cup  (Read 8323 times)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: 2018 Footie World Cup
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »
It's coming home?

Possibly!  :laugh: The joke might actually become a reality but knowing England's previous world cup track record, I will only say this sentence once we actually have the trophy in our hands. Until then...

The hype is getting to ridiculous levels; only to lead to bitter disappointment.

I disagree, even if we get knocked out in the semis, the team has proved a point, and built a base for future tournaments.  Just remember the titles the youth teams have won recently:

Under 17 world cup 2017: winners
Under 19 Euro championshup 2017: winners
Under 21 Euro championship: 3rd place

This England team has a lot of talent due to join it.  This is a project that started in 2012 with the St George's park centre.  the hard work has started to pay off, and let's hope it continues.  Unfortunately knowing the British temprament, if we lose in the semis or final, the media will attack sterling, the English fans will mourn the loss, and the Scottish and Welsh will be happy and rub it in.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »
It's coming home?

Possibly!  :laugh: The joke might actually become a reality but knowing England's previous world cup track record, I will only say this sentence once we actually have the trophy in our hands. Until then...

The hype is getting to ridiculous levels; only to lead to bitter disappointment.

I disagree, even if we get knocked out in the semis, the team has proved a point, and built a base for future tournaments.  Just remember the titles the youth teams have won recently:

This England team has a lot of talent due to join it.  This is a project that started in 2012 with the St George's park centre.  the hard work has started to pay off, and let's hope it continues.  Unfortunately knowing the British temprament, if we lose in the semis or final, the media will attack sterling, the English fans will mourn the loss, and the Scottish and Welsh will be happy and rub it in.

And U20 World Cup winners 2017 too.  They showed stats to prove that previous U20 players, don't necessarily progress into U21 or senior team players.  But it's a good start, I suppose.  Solanke, Calvert-Lewin, Lookman, Kenny and Ojo looked great all tournament. 

Offline MoonChild

• Waygookin
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2018, 11:48:06 AM »

That my friend is exactly why I am waiting for England to choke...like always!  :laugh:
Man's not hot

Offline MoonChild

• Waygookin
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
It's coming home?

And U20 World Cup winners 2017 too.  They showed stats to prove that previous U20 players, don't necessarily progress into U21 or senior team players.  But it's a good start, I suppose.  Solanke, Calvert-Lewin, Lookman, Kenny and Ojo looked great all tournament.

I think everyone knows that this team has played far better than the teams in the past. But its the pessimistic brit in me that won't accept it  :laugh:.

All joking aside, if England don't win, at least they had reached semis (although my bet is on England winning against Croatia so they should be able to go through to the finals) and that is more than enough especially considering this squad is younger and less experienced than the hyped players we had before (Gerrard, Rooney etc). Don't think I even remember most of them now haha! 
Man's not hot

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »

That my friend is exactly why I am waiting for England to choke...like always!  :laugh:

I can see them reaching the Final but only to lose. People will be on the streets bawling their eyes out.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »
As "great" as this World Cup as has been; it will sadly be remembered for creating the "doing a Neymar".

Offline MoonChild

• Waygookin
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #226 on: July 11, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
As "great" as this World Cup as has been; it will sadly be remembered for creating the "doing a Neymar".

We have a french version of Neymar if you saw the Belgium and France game!  :laugh:
Man's not hot

donovan

« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2018, 05:16:41 AM »
I really donít know much about the World Cup. Does this loss mean that Brexit was a bad idea after all?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2018, 07:19:26 AM »
I'm knackered.  I got home at 10 after my night classes, went to bed at 11 and then up at 3.  In the end, Croatia deserved to win, they showed more composure and didn't look that nervy.  Even in the first half, and with the goal, England still looked nervous and rushed the whole time.  I'm not a fan of Alli at all and I was annoyed at him for not closing down their cross for the first goal, and apart from his goal in the Sweden game, he's done nothing this world cup.  Maybe the lose came from Southgate playing the same team again and again.  Sterling was underwhelming, as was Alli, why weren't they hooked for Vardy, Rashford or Loftus-Cheek.  It made us have no midfield, and they had Modric and Rakatic.  That said, the ref was crap, Lovren should have been carded at least twice.  He let too much go from both sides, so then they just carried on fouling.  At least now, I don't need to stay up and watch the final on Sunday night, but I can watch England 'B' get their revenge on Belgium 'B'  :laugh: on Saturday.

Offline Challen13

• Adventurer
« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
England can't be too disappointed with the outcome. They exceeded their pre-tournament expectations with a young side and lost to a side that had been to ET more times in the tournament and rightly paced themselves accordingly. A young squad that hasn't won too much at club level (bar a few players) lost to a team that have individually won numerous league titles, cups and played in more big games than the England bunch combined.

The patience in critical moments shown by Modric, Rakitic, Perisic and Mandzukic today ultimately made the difference. Onwards and upwards for England and hopefully the British media doesn't destroy them when they return.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2018, 08:08:05 AM »
Well, the England hype train has finally come off the tracks.

Won't be watching their B team lose to Belgium's B team again.

France to win the final but would love Croatia to take it. Always loved their jersey.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »
Why didn't they play Harry Kane?  ;D

Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »
ah well. croatia played better than england and deserved to win. congrats to them

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
Poor England. I had put aside my traditional dislike of English sports teams and was quietly hoping this was their year.

I really hope Croatia win from here. It would be great for a country of 4 million to be able to experience that.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
Poor England. I had put aside my traditional dislike of English sports teams and was quietly hoping this was their year.

Me too actually.

They did seem complacent though and frittered away their lead.

I have always felt their style of play is too methodical and formulaic, they have often lacked spontaneous goalscorers. But even when they have had goalscorers..you need more than one.
Catch my drift?

Online kengreen

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2018, 12:40:26 AM »
England is wonderful at football. I bow humbly to the island nation. They beat traditional powerhouses like Tunisia and Panama with ease. Plus they settled Columbia's hash with penalty kicks.

And let's not forget Croatia. Croatia is a country with a whopping four million people. It has lots of talent to choose from. Furthermore, the Croatian Premiere League is well known throughout the globe. They pay their top players with sacks of fish.

The English should be filled with pride. I would like to fly there this very instant just to kiss the queen's fat azz.

God bless the Brits.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:42:48 AM by kengreen »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2018, 06:25:31 AM »

Online kengreen

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2018, 01:28:41 AM »
England shines again versus Belgium.

They're coming home!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:31:14 AM by kengreen »

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #239 on: July 16, 2018, 07:59:15 AM »
Well, there you have it France win it, although Croatia gave it a good go.

For some reason, I thought the England/Belgium game started at 12am on Saturday night.  So I started watching it  about 5 minutes in, not noticing the 후반 and thought it was really strange that they were substituting Lukaku so early in the game and how unhurried everyone was and then noticed the 후반 after about  35 minutes.  What struck me most was it was basically a game between Spurs/Man City/Chelsea, because when Aldewiereld saved Dier's shot he kind of apologised to him.  Not what you want from a furious third-placed play-off.