February 16, 2019, 03:46:32 PM

Author Topic: Teaching Philosophy/Methodology  (Read 279 times)

Offline SanderB

• Adventurer
  • Korean ESL Teacher working at 고다 치즈타운 :) Gymnasium
Teaching Philosophy/Methodology
« on: June 03, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »
... or ''How would I teach a Korean class now after having worked at a school back home.''

Differentiated Teaching

We teachers quite instinctively differentiate on several levels when we interact with different students but quite often we still force feed them all the same assignments. This is one thing that I would change if I were to teach again in Korea. I would always have 2 completely different assignments ready (reading or grammar or vocab) and have a few extra so-called 'sponge' assignments as well for students who are finished very quickly or find the exercises too hard.
Both of these differentiated assignments would still have to be related to the main 5 min. instruction of the lesson (ex. past simple).
During my class instruction I clearly offer them the option to either choose Group1 or Group2 or Group3 and group 3 being the group that can work completely independently without any intervention from me, but they do have to remain quiet or at least not prevent others from studying by distracting them.

Dalton plan Teaching
A teacher stuck in a rural village in the good ol' U S of A found herself faced with the impossible task of having to teach 6 students of all different ages. Based on her insights, schools have now been set up in which each student follows a completely independent learning route. The teacher acts as a coach who regularly checks the student's progress but does not punish the student when targets aren't met. Testing is done mostly formative but regular 6-months period testing is also done frequently.
I would totally create 2-months lessonplans with goals and a system through which I could follow a student's progress. Some schools I've worked at used stamps and stamp cards, but my school uses Class Notebook ( a bad copy of Google's Classroom) through which I can always see their work online and comment on it.

Free schools
More and more schools are interested in a new wave based on the Finnish educational model (Finland ranks no1 in the world) in which students interact in groups and have less and less formal testing (NO tests at all). Their innate abilities promote implicit learning and because we as teachers support their interests, learning is done naturally and  more effectively. I would download a myriad of magazines (freely available on Google) and offer them as reading to students. To be honest, my students (CAE Cambridge Adv. Exam level) prefer to watch BBC documentaries and other videos, but it might be hard in some schools to have access to streaming capabilities.

TBA Task Based Approach
Many of the UK and Commonwealth teachers might recognise this method. Basically you use genres to teach English to your student. This promotes implicit learning very suitable for Kindergarten/ Elementary, but also for Middle school. I should write more about this in a lengthy post.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:19:08 AM by SanderB »
-Magister non olet- 
 but some students... :wink: