February 17, 2019, 01:30:30 AM

Author Topic: Theory of Direct Instruction  (Read 266 times)

Offline SanderB

• Adventurer
  • Korean ESL Teacher working at 고다 치즈타운 :) Gymnasium
Theory of Direct Instruction
« on: June 03, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
Having gone through all the loops and gotten my M.Ed accreditation I thought perhaps I should share a bit of my newly acquired knowledge. As I have mentioned before, European methodology is light-years ahead of the Korean approach.

First up: DI method. (Direct Instruction)
Simple 10 sec: overview:
http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Teachers-Guide-to-Direct-Instruction-2/

Longer theoretical bla bla bla stuff
https://www.slideshare.net/chelseafied1994/edu20-g1-report

My take on it:

1) 5 min.  Attract attention: short video/ audio/ text
    3 min. Ask for anything relating to previous classes/ noticing/ scaffolding
2) 2 min. Explain today's lesson ( write/show different phases on board) (We are going to talk about...)
3) 5 min. Instruction (grammar/ linguistic stuff)
4) 15 min.Independent activity
5) 10 min.  peer-checking (students check each other's work)
6) 5 min. Rephrase lesson aims and check randomly if students can do them. ( For instance Pres. Perf.: When do you use the pp.? Or answer this sentence in the PP. )
7) close lesson by telling them next class's  topic

The emphasis with this method is on getting students activated as soon as possible with as little downtime as possible. The idea is that class management problems are caused by students' short attention span and the sooner they get activated the better. Also important is to view this lesson as part of a long series in which you look back on previously learned items and look ahead to the next. (Teachability hypothesis, Pienemann)

There's a lot online so Google is your friend but I have added a PPT from google with a lot of background theory about scaffolding and stuff. In short: Piaget said that kids learn language because they need to interact with an expert to complete a task. Vygotsky claimed that we need to support kids' learning by always offering them something slightly more difficult (1+). We discourage them if we offer them too difficult tasks or too easy ones. This is called 'scaffolding'.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:38:10 PM by SanderB »
-Magister non olet- 
 but some students... :wink: